What was the most satisfying weapon you've used in a game?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Sirian Mutilator from Serior Sam 3: BFE

I haven't thought about it much, but recently what immediately comes to mind is this.

Tell me an energy leash that grabs and instantly rips a group of enemies to bloody shreds doesn't inspire a healthy bloodlust.

Second place would be the normal gravity gun from HL2. There's something quite satisfying about grabbing whatever heavy garbage is laying around to crush an enemy's bones or sawing them in half by punting stuff into them. Also punting paint cans into zombies to both damage and splatter pain and paint all over them. Part of the satisfaction is knowing you saved on ammo too!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Either the Sniper Rifle (assuming a headshot bags you an insta-kill), or...

Interrupt the enemy's skill. Recharges in two seconds, so you can almost immediately interrupt them again. Repeat until enemy monk cries him/herself to sleep.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
The Skull Hammer from Wind Waker. Half the fun of returning to the Forsaken Fortress is using the Skull Hammer to squash everything that gave you trouble the first time with a single blow, or whacking them into the distance.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
The sword in the 2013 reboot of Shadow Warrior. Provides for some great slice and dice chop 'em up. The swordplay in the game is pretty satisfying, I hardly ever used any of the guns in the game.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I can never not play New Vegas as a sniper character cause I looooooove both the Hunting/Anti Material Rifle in that game. Nothing is more satisfying then getting head shots and collaterals without them laying a scratch on you. Not to mention NV rifles in general have the most satisfying crunch behind them, you'd be playing the game wrong not to use them.

David St-Pierre

Feb 23, 2012
I'm usually an Assault rifle guy. Sub-machine gun if none are present in the game (preferably not the "spray and pray" kind).

But I have a special place in my heart reserved for the Bolters of Warhammer 40k. Rapid-fire rocket launcher handling like an assault rifle. How can you say no to that :p ?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Xcell935 said:
I can never not play New Vegas as a sniper character cause I looooooove both the Hunting/Anti Material Rifle in that game. Nothing is more satisfying then getting head shots and collaterals without them laying a scratch on you. Not to mention NV rifles in general have the most satisfying crunch behind them, you'd be playing the game wrong not to use them.
I like using the laser rifle with a scope. Turning an enemy to ashes by headshot is nice too.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Hm, probably the Flak Gun from the first Unreal Tournament. Shredding people or blowing them up as the situation requires...

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shotguns in general.
I see your shotguns, and feel it neccesary to take them to their logical conclusions. I therefore raise you one Flak Cannon (Unreal Tournament), one Boneduster (Bulletstorm), and one Melta gun (40k; Space Marine).

The first is a shotgun that fires ricocheting pices of superhot shrapnel, by first detonating a shrapnel grenade within itself and then launching all the bits. It can also just fire the grenades themselves as an alternate fire.

The second has 4 barrel and fires shots of compressed air. It can also do incindiary fire. It can juggle your foes.

The last is an energy weapon in shotgun form. Waves of pure energy designed to burn through tank armour. Kills enemies by the dozen with each shot.

I dare anyone to find three greater examples of shotgun based killing power.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
The Torgue weapons from Borderlands 2. They fire explosive bullets, and they're ridiculously satisfying to use - especially the somewhat rare, incredibly powerful shotguns.

Sep 24, 2008
WH 40K space marine chapter. In my hands. No greater weapon wielded in all of creation.

Also, I'll chime in on the Hating Shotguns front.

Shotguns are beastly but stupidly impractical. Especially for how video games use them. They are close quarters, room clearers. Sure, they have other uses, but in a battle with modern assault weapons, I would feel really boned if I just had a shotgun while they can lay down +50 rounds a minute and reload in under five second.

But I really, really, REALLY can't stand how shotguns always show up in the zombie apoc, especially if they are fast zombies.

Let me get this straight. 7 billion people are now tirelessly chasing you down to eat you alive. you're still human, so you get tired and scared. You need to keep your wits about you and travel light.

... so every piece of fiction in the world decides the best weapon to do that with is a five pound weapon with a kick like a mule which loads a shell at a time and can only hold around five shells per load? With a rather horrid fire rate? THAT'S what everyone would choose to face down endless hordes?!

Doing a bit of on the fly math, with that 5 pound shot gun, you could hold around 240 9mm bullets, and that's using one of the heaviest common grains (147Gr.).

Sure, you get five really powerful shots. But if you had even seven coming at you at once, you're pretty much a snack.

Hawk of Battle said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shotguns in general.
one Melta gun (40k; Space Marine).

The last is an energy weapon in shotgun form. Waves of pure energy designed to burn through tank armour. Kills enemies by the dozen with each shot.
Give this man the thread, he won.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
In list form, following the pseudo-traditional "one per game or franchise" rule, and in no particular order:

R.Y.N.O. (Rip Ya' a New One): Ratchet and Clank.
As well as the "evolved" version, RY3NO, in later games. A missile barrage so heavy it limits your jumping ability while you hold it, but firing 12-16 homing missiles in one shot is something that simply must be experienced firsthand. Pretty much any of the zany weapons from the Ratchet and Clank series could make the list: the Morph-O-Ray (Polymorph in gun form), the Tesla Coil, the Bomb Glove, the Disconator... nothing quite compares to the almighty RYNO.

Metal Blade: MegaMan 2.
Honorable mention to my personal favorite Shadow Blade from MM3, which is basically the same thing but nowhere near as powerful. Metal Blade lets the Blue Bomber throw sawblades from his hands in more or less any direction, does ridiculous amounts of damage to everything (most hilariously to Metal Man himself), and is so efficient there's basically no reason to stop using it, ever. Plus, you know... shooting sawblades from your hand.

Twilight: Guild Wars 2.
You may set your status to "jelly".
It's like a premium skin for a League of Legends champ, changing and adding all kinds of neat effects to my abilities and looking just so damn pretty as I fire off my pink death lasers. Of course, all the Legendary weapons in Guild Wars 2 are particularly awesome. Just look up Monoloai'i Kotaki (ghost shark attack!) or The Dreamer (robot unicorn attack!), even Twilight's sister sword, Sunrise, and their fusion form, Eternity. Twilight has that dark edge to it, though, and it is so much fun on my Mesmer as I watch it bounce around like a dimensional thunder storm, spawning alternate copies of me in the process! Almost makes the horrific "long-term" resource gathering to obtain it worth the effort.

Grenade Launcher: Multiple (particularly in 007: Nightfire)
Sometimes you just want to blow shit up. Sure, you have your rockets and hand grenades and all manner of other explosive ordinance, but the grenade launcher (sometimes called the "brute shot") has that satisfying "shunk" as it fires off and a ballistic trajectory that lets you set up creative and non line-of-sight kills. Speaking of blowing stuff up...

TNT: Minecraft
Maybe not a "weapon" in and of itself, but it's just so much fun making things asplode, setting up different ways to make things asplode, setting up traps to make your friends/enemies asplode, or setting up a chain reaction to fire off the TNT Cannon into a cliff face (for science!), knowing that you did it all yourself is innately satisfying.

Hookshot: Legend of Zelda series
While not at all the most powerful weapon at Link's disposal, there's something oddly satisfying about "yoink!"-ing away an armored enemy's shield/helmet or using it to bump an enemy off a ledge. The Double Clawshot iteration from Twilight Princess was my personal favorite, because all games could use more Spider-man.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
I'm the kind of guy who digs the unappreciated simplicity of multi-barreled belt-fed 2000RPM+ heavy weapons. Yes, that's right, chainguns. I love me some chainguns. First one I ever acquired was the one in Wolfenstein 3D. That tone of death when you picked one up, the cocky grin that BJ flashed when he got his hands on it, and the utter destruction you could lay down with it had me hooked instantly.

The one in Doom was kind of a letdown. Not really all that exciting, kind of a utility weapon more than an excessive amount of firepower.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I love me self a good revolver in basically any game. The "that gun" in New Vegas is something I always pick up on my way through Novac since it uses the very common 5.56mm ammo and is more powerful then the service rifle I have by that point in the game. Also in CoD Black Ops I would always have dual pythons and had them act almost as a secondary shotgun. I think the grand daddy of them all is Bioshock's revolver, why it may seem pretty standard when you first get it once you upgrade it to have 24 rounds and do increased damage there won't be any normal enemy that'll stand in your way.

Dedtoo

Aug 28, 2009
Norway
Pink Gregory said:
Dedtoo said:
I think I'll have to go with Doom 3.
Yes, the whole game, as almost every gun there was damn satisfying! From the BFG to the humble flashlight, all of them are fun to use, especially the rocket launcher, with it's four rocket clip!
...even the pistol? Even the assault rifle?

I 'unno, Doom 3 always felt really spongy in it's weapon feeback to me, but then again it's been a while since I played it.
I said almost every gun, just for those two, because the pistol and smg/assault rifle weren't good. Not a whole lot of fun at all, I'll agree. But the rest were good!

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
I'm going to say, the support weapons available to the FieldOps/Oppressor class in Quake Wars.

Nothing shakes up class-based combat like an explosive telephone pole falling out of the sky.

An orbital laser, because terrestrial weapons are so last-millenium.

Plus you can perch yourself on a high ledge with a scoped rifle and spawn more ammo for yourself. How awesome is that?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Fully powered sword in Shadow Warrior, so damn powerful and satisfying, bits everywhere.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
The fists in RAGE were strangely satisfying...they were really fun to switch out to when some grunt had just refused to die by the normal means...that and they made this really satisfying meat tenderiser sounds. The animation on them was a little weird, though. I always felt it was a little slow.

Oh, and the lead pipe from Fallout. Best melee weapon at low levels. Fast, powerful and limb-exploding. The named version in NV "The Humble Cudgel" wasn't nearly as nice to use. It was too thin, clean and flimsy-looking. Gimme the dirt, blood and rust version any day.