What's your name's origin?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
My first name is Brandon, which seems to have different meanings in English, Irish, Old English, whatever. English: from the beacon hill, broom hill, or gorse hill, Irish: little raven, prince, or brave, Old English: fiery hill, sword.

Middle name is Lee, which is apparently of Old English origin meaning pasture or meadow.

My last name, Allen, means harmony, stone, or noble in Celtic.

This is all according to google, so I'm not sure how accurate these are.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
I don't know where my first name came from, I think it was just that my Mother liked it. However, I do know that my middle name comes from my Great-Grandfather.

Nabohs

Jan 18, 2011
Apparently my name in Sanskrit Means Handsome, which is weird because I was told that my name is taken from an avatar of god though hinduism

My name is Shoban

Silent Anima

Jun 2, 2011
My name, Ethan, is Hebrew and means 'Strong, firm, impetuous'. My mom just liked the name so that's why she named me that. I don't think my surname, Spalinger, means fuckall; though, my family is from Switzerland so... uhh... I dunno.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
i knew from the start that Michael was from the bible.. kinda hard to miss an Archangel :D but i was actually named after the pediatrician interesting huh?

Dec 27, 2010
Mine comes from the Tuatha Dé Danann myth and means ancient, legendary or amazing. Haven't a clue as to why I'm called it, chances are my parents probably just liked it.

Jun_Jun

Sep 21, 2009
lotrfanatic1 said:
Ben after Obi-Wan Ben Kenobi ... clearly my dad was a big star wars fan xD
I knew a Ben who's middle name was Kenobi, could've been worse xD.
On an unrelated note Nicholas Cage apparently changed his last name to 'Cage' after Johnny Cage from Mortal Kombat **the more you know**

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Well the backstory to my name is like something out of a bad highschool drama. In real life I go by Roscoe Peyton Brewer, Roscoe apparently being the name of a northern Scottish province. But in reality I got my name from my parents first born son, Jackson Roscoe Brewer. He was the first born but died of something called SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. he basically stopped breathing and died. He was named after my Dad and first Mom's favorite singer, Jackson Brown(I think). Needless to say, a couple of years later my Mom and Dad tried again and had my older brother Raleigh, who was named after the capital of my Dad's home state(he moved to Texas when he was 6). Than when I came around in '95 my Mom apparently saw me as another Jackson, or Jackson's second try at life. But instead of naming me Jackson again, they gave me his middle name, Roscoe. Peyton just sounded good so they threw Peyton in there as well. To keep me being seen as some kind of reincarnation, Roscoe was shortened to Ross. And that's how Ross Peyton Brewer came to be. And it's also why I think of myself as Jackson. Maybe God gave him a second chance and put him in my body and than Jackson got use to Ross and forgot about his name. Who knows, it just makes me feel like I'm supposed to be living my life as some sort of memorial to Jackson, kinda weird don't ya think? Probably not as special some of the others here though.

steve the evil

Jul 9, 2011
My first name means "raven" (or the even more emo "child of sorrow"). My last name, coincidentally mean's "one who comes from Crow's Pass." Huh.

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Christian: From the Medieval Latin Christianus, meaning "A Christian." Fitting, I suppose.

Francis: In this case, named after Saint Francis of Assisi.

[LAST NAME REDACTED FOR PRIVACY]

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
I'm still not sure what my name originates from. It's a persian name that some people have told me is based off an old persian hero (kinda like Hercules), some have said it is based on a flower (like a girl being named Jasmin, I'm male btw -.-) which is my most likely guess since a few of my family members over in Iran make flower references, and some "persian names r us" website said that it means sorrow/sadness, so I have no clue. All I know is that not many Iranian are called it

MidnightSt

Sep 9, 2011
Miroslav
1. After my father
2. Pretty old Slavic name, means peace (mir) and glory (slav).

can't seem to get any of that yet

Kakemonster

Baron von Münchhausen
Jun 1, 2011
I'm named after the main character in the book "Markens Grøde" by the famous Norwegian writer Knut Hamsun. The reason is that my dad was really into Knut Hamsun at the time I was born. It's also a very biblical name.

Isaac (or Isak as I spell it) = he will laugh

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Well my older brother who is 2 years older than me and was 2 years old when I was born told my mom that he wanted my name to start with the letter D like his name did. So that was the main thing.

And then my mom thought about my sister's name, basically cut it in half and then stuck the "D" in front of that half.

Hence my name.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Death God said:
Plus, because I'm part German and my father loved dragons, they kept the Drake in there. Then my two middle names are from my grandfather on both sides of my family.
Unfortunately for you, 'drake' is most commonly associated with 'male duck'! -_- (Its association with draconic creature-types is more recent and originally, what with yourself being part German, in central European folklore it was the name for a type of fairy that, upon flying, would resemble a fireball with a trail, pretty interesting that...)

For 'draconic' names, my preference leans towards 'Draco' (Latin), 'Drāko' (Greek derivation of 'drakon') and 龍 (pronounced in the Yue manner).

Curse the idiot who gave Kowloon its English name... *hrk*
Yeah, I guess "drake" is more common with male duck most people from where I'm from only think of it as draconic so I'm cool with it.