Worst game(s) you've ever completed

Ghostbody

Jun 10, 2008
Damnation. That fucking game. I started the game liking the steampunk aesthetic and thinking this could be good. Past the start menu I wanted to shoot myself for spending 60 american on it. One of the worst gaming experiences I have ever had in my life. I rarely, and I mean rarely, ever feel like I wasted money on a game but that one was it. Platforming and controls were ass, story was just WWII but early, and the characters had the personality of wood. There was no enjoyable moment of that game.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Superman Returns. Hands. Down. The movie tie-in curse, released early in the 360's lifespan, AND the Superman game curse? Was like a black hole of voodoo. Only reason I finished it was because I turned on cheats, and had rented it, so damn right I was going to $&#%^# finish it. >.>

The worst part about it was that it did, legitimately, have such potential behind it. The first perhaps five and a half minutes were actually legitimate, nerdy bliss, because I started on the street level, pressed a button and WHOOOSH, flew hundreds of feet into the air in seconds. (The city was eighty square miles in size.) I could fly at, according to the article I read, up to eight hundred miles an hour, release super-breath so intense it could clear an entire highway of cars (I did this often,) blast heat vision, literally run faster than a locomotive... the stamina bar that allowed the use of most of his powers would charge faster if up in the sky, in direct sunlight! When it came to making you feel like a Kryptonian God, this title had it all, and for those three hundred and thirty seconds, it was absolutely glorious.

Then trickled in the crap. I couldn't really enjoy the powers, because instead of a health bar for Superman, there was a health bar for the city itself, the idea being that you have to protect it from ne'er-do-wells who might smash it. This meant that aforementioned blowing-cars-off-highway glee could actually get me 'killed,' as could so much as sprinting carelessly through the streets. A cheat activated Unlimited Health, though, so it helped.

Then I realized the 'plot' was basically a string of random encounters against the same six or even enemy-types (and, trust me, when there's hundreds of the fiends, six or seven types isn't that much,) making even the enjoyment of super-speed chasing incredibly fast robots through the street an inevitable chore. Mini-map shows trouble, Superman flies to trouble, Superman beats up trouble while reciting the same five $*@&$# catchphrases, rinse and repeat. The occasional boss fight punctuated it, or a twenty-second cinematic that looked terrible. There were no interiors at all, with the entire game occuring in the open city, which meant there wasn't even the nerdy option of wandering around dressed as Clark Kent.

Then I finally reached the final boss.

A tornado.

A %*#&$&% tornado.

I won't spoil the thrilling way THAT climactic encounter came to an end, but suffice to say, after its defeat... well, that was it. No more enemies. At all. I just spent half an hour wandering around an empty city, throwing cars and intercepting them in midair half a mile away before they could even hit the ground. Not that there weren't side activites! I think you could find collectible cats scattered around the city! Dat's right! CATS! There was also a mini-game where you played Bizarro, and basically were supposed to smash the city up, and that was kind of fun... but it was a timed mini-game, with no option to free-roam as the crazy clone.

Anyway, what made this game worse was, again, potential. It was a movie tie-in, so it probably ran out of time, or money, etc, and therefore turned into a rush job that wrecked it. It also probably solidified the Superman curse, which is a shame, because it at least shows that a proper approach, perhaps on the next-gen consoles, could come up with something really special. ._.

Some gameplay footage below. Recommend skipping to around 5:15, see some of the flying about. Looking at it now, Jebas the graphics are dated beyond all measure, but this was out around the same time the PS3 was being released, so I hadn't had many glorious sparkly 360 titles to raise my expectations yet. x3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obsqyBzpKD8

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Pimp My Ride the game.

It started out OK, but after the first area the soundtrack just kept repeating over and over AND OVER AGAIN! And one of the repeating songs was one of Xzibit's attempts at conscious rap so it drained what little energy this car driving game had.

deeman010

Jul 3, 2009
Mr Mystery Guest said:
NeverDead. Dear God i'm having flashbacks. Only completed it 'cos i paid full price.
I feel your pain. The whole game was such a bore but I just couldn't just leave it unfinished.

As for my worst game completed, its Battleship. Crappy AI, weapons, story... I don't know why I even played it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I beat Super Smash Brothers Brawl against my will because my friends at my party wanted to. Really boring game play with many enemy's you can't combo in a game that repeats certain stages, it was fucking torture. Not to mention some of the fun strategy's were cut and the random tripping sometimes happened at the wrong time. One of the few games where I truly despise it's existence because now I have to worry how the next one will turn out.

I'm amazed with the people who said they completed Sonic '06. Why would you do that to yourselves?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i think a lot of people are confusing worst game ever with game that didnt meet expectations.

worst game ive ever played? definitely final fantasy 12, without question. broken combat system, zero character development, barely existent story, and running through screen after screen of empty areas. literally the only reason i finished it was because my friend bet me i would give up because of how bad the game is

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
i think a lot of people are confusing worst game ever with game that didnt meet expectations.
I think a lot of people don't get the actuall topic. It's not "worst game you have ever played" but "worst game you have ever played through". Naturally, a lot of really, really crappy games were probably never completed by the majority of players, so they don't count here.

To stay on topic: TES IV Oblivion. I forced myself through the so called campaign once and it was sooooo boring. The strange thing is, every once in a while (when my memory faded enough) I'm like "well, there are some good mods out there, I'll just give Oblivion another chance". Till I play it...

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Woodsey said:
For some reason I felt the need to stick with Hitman: Absolution to the end.

"Well there was that one level near the beginning which kinda resembled what Hitman's supposed to fucking be about, so it must come back at some point... right?"

No, son. No.
Oh yeah, that. I had managed to purge the memory from my mind. Hitman:absolution so much. After a good start I kept thinking maybe, just maybe, it gets better later after dipping right down to crap valley but it never did.

That and the combat oriented perks awards for playing as stealthily as possible and 47 magically developing conscious because target is genetically modified like him... Bleurgh.

Yeah, worst game I had to forced myself to play through in recent memory.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
I've got to go with FFXIII-2: Serra's awkward journey with Noel to save Hope, since he loses and gains his ability to fight from one cutscene to the next.

This game is a travesty. It has everything that was wrong with original, but with the added bonus of a truly ridiculous story.

The only good things about this game are some of Mog's quotes and the paradox endings. Youtube them and save yourself the hassle.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Tes: Oblivion... oh wait, i didn't even finish that.
Let's see, this is a hard one, gta: Vice City? Honestly, i think it's the worst of gta series, which still means it's pretty decent tho.

Ayay

Dec 6, 2009
Warhammer Mark of Chaos . I finished it but damn i hated that game , still every new battle in the linear story i was going , maybe it will become better. I so badly wanted to like it.

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
Area 51 for PS2 springs to mind.
After a strong start, it descends into mind-numbing mediocrity until the damn thing finally ends with a sigh. And it's a looooong game. Jesus I hope I never play a game so bland and repetitive ever again.

And David Duchovny makes for a lousy, mumbling protagonist too.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Final Fantasy X-2. Just... just X-2. I don't feel like writing an entire rant about this, so let me just sum everything up:

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
The Saboteur. Everyone told me it was pretty good, but the game I was slogging through was repetitive, uninspiring, and had the worst "German" and "French" accents since Allo Allo.

Emmenia

Apr 3, 2009
Hard to think of a really bad game I played through to the very end. Red Faction Armageddon springs to mind although that wasn't necessarily bad, it was just instantly forgettable and very meh.

Actually how about Night Trap on Mega CD? That was pretty awful but I did multiple play throughs to the point where I trapped ALL the vampires (or whatever the hell they were supposed to be) in a hope there was an alternate ending for doing this. There wasn't.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
kuolonen said:
Woodsey said:
For some reason I felt the need to stick with Hitman: Absolution to the end.

"Well there was that one level near the beginning which kinda resembled what Hitman's supposed to fucking be about, so it must come back at some point... right?"

No, son. No.
Oh yeah, that. I had managed to purge the memory from my mind. Hitman:absolution so much. After a good start I kept thinking maybe, just maybe, it gets better later after dipping right down to crap valley but it never did.

That and the combat oriented perks awards for playing as stealthily as possible and 47 magically developing conscious because target is genetically modified like him... Bleurgh.

Yeah, worst game I had to forced myself to play through in recent memory.
To be fair, the series has had the odd habit of giving you loud weapons as a reward for the SA rating since Silent Assassin.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I have to throw "Titan Quest" into the mix.

It looked like a unique take on the "hack 'n' slash" style RPG, but set in Ancient Greece. And at first, it seemed like a worthy successor to Diablo.

But, the skill tree is terrible, the leveling is horrendous and end-level boss fights were just tedium.

Each Boss is "tethered" to a single spot and only has a certain range from that spot. So the only tactic is to run in, whittle away the hit points and dash just outside the radius. Lather, rinse, repeat.

And Typhon, the main Boss at the end was damn near impossible. He had an energy and life drain he could cast from a distance. So I'd be clear across the arena from him, dodging his meteor attacks and I'd just die (because I wasn't keeping an eye on my suddenly depleting health).

I ended up rolling back the code level to a previous version/release because the new "patch" made Typhon too powerful.

And I instantly sold it back to Gamestop after I beat it.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
CrimsonBlaze said:
Pokemon Black Version.

Black 2 and White 2 ARE NOT sequels or third installments, but instead REBOOTS as they fix all the issues of the previous games by adding content from the previous 4 Gens and fixing most issues from their predecessors.

I just unlocked all I could as quickly as possible and buried that mess under my mess of things.
I'm not going to bother you with the rest because opinions and all that but B2 & W2 are sequels. The story takes place 2 years after the first game and the game makes reference to what happened in Black and White.

James Treanor

Oct 26, 2011
Mario and Luigi: Brothers in Time.

What a waste of potential, coming off the back of what can only be describes as on of the best Mario RPGs. Lazy and pointless DS mechanics, awful story, simply ridiculous difficulty levels (ranging from insulting to "Fuck you") and the babies...MY GOD the babies. Nintendo: King of the good idea, master of the slow murder. There is no limit to the horrendous things I would do to this game if I hadn't thrown my copy under the bus. But I finished, so pretty much guaranteed access to heaven now....Right God?! Here's to pray that the 3DS can wow me like the first.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Wolverine Origins, God that game was bloody terrible, Button mashing with faintly racist and repetitive levels, and Gohans voice actor from DBZ used on loop. I still to this day Don't know why i finished it (otherwise DNF, but i couldn't for the life of me finish it)