Your First Anime

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
i know i saw one before this probably but not entirely.

Akira was my first anime that i watched completely. Heavy Metal i saw clips of but not the whole thing, until later.
as far as anime series... does Aeon Flux count or we just going for japaneese anime (if so i don't remember, it was an old one for sure)

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
1)Dragon Ball Z
2)I saw my older brother watching it one day and thought it was pretty cool.
3)Hell yea, I figured that if the fight scenes were as epic as DBZ every anime must be worth watching.

Seno

Sep 17, 2009
Ghadente said:
i know i saw one before this probably but not entirely.

Akira was my first anime that i watched completely. Heavy Metal i saw clips of but not the whole thing, until later.
as far as anime series... does Aeon Flux count or we just going for japaneese anime (if so i don't remember, it was an old one for sure)
aeon flux isnt anime :(

Mar 31, 2009
My First memories of anime: Speed Racer and Akira: Speed racer was a family favorite for as long as i can remember and i can remember the ending of akira giving me nightmares for quite some time as a tyke.

The first anime i followed intently: Sailor moon...:Okay, that may seem odd for a little boy of 6 to be watching,but this was before i had cartoon network so i just watched sailor moon whenever it would come on, i loved the show at the time, but i have grown far past it.

First anime i would call my favorite: Tenchi Muyo: no brainer here, the classic "hapless young man has so many women he doesn't know what to do with them was lots of fun and i had a great time learning the different storylines for each season.

Current Favorite anime: Axis Powers Hetalia: This anime is great, it is relatively obscure and has not yet been released in america, so there isn't a big stupid fanbase (yet)Secondly, its about world history, and since i am a big fan of world history it appeals to me. the final reason which may discourage most guys is it has a fanservice angle mostly pointed at girls. kinda awkward by itself but female fanservice anime has the distinct benefit of having girls who will lavish you with praise if you cosplay/have heard of it.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
Seno said:
aeon flux isnt anime :(
i'm no so sure you are right on that one.
what makes an animated series not considered anime? bc of the country of origin? or the style of animation?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6
this site seems to regard Aeon Flux as Anime

of course this is only one viewpoint. in wikipedia it states aeon flux as animated series.

in my opinion its seems all too similar to many anime series, and of course its more than just a "cartoon".

* ah i read the wiki page more thoroughly and it states "Æon Flux is often erroneously classified as an anime series."

but yet, still not fully convinced, i would like to know why

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
1.Full Metal Panic

2. Back when I had direct TV I watched it on some anime channel, it's the only anime I liked and could actually sit through.

3. It made me want to watch certain kinds of anime, and did indeed send me on a quest to find them.
Bokurano and Gantz were found shortly afterwords.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
As a lot of people have probably stated Dragon ball Z was my first anime followed by Gundam wing, yu yu hakusho, Rurouni kenshin, and a lot of other shows brought to me by Toonami...

Oh how i miss Toonami... too bad it had to die but it had went down in quality.

Now the animes i watch consist of hellsing fullmetal alchemist and thats about it.

Bleach and death note I hear are good but I haaven't seen the first episode of either so i haven't bothered.

Oh well...

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Macross Plus The Movie was the first "serious" animé I saw. (apart from some episodes of Sailor Moon broadcasted along with the other kid shows on tv that is)

After that one it was Ghost in the Shell. And after that one I saw Akira, and then I saw Ninja Scroll.

After that I've seen plenty but grown kind of tired with animé and manga in general. Sure these classics are really great, but most animé shows are so alike, and the characters in them are always so stereotyped they're pretty much interchangable between shows regardless of genre...

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
1) Banner of the stars.
2) I studied Japanese and my teacher recommended watching anime for listening practice.
3) No, I thought it was fairly poor. However I did see Chrono Crusade almost immediately afterwards so that redeemed the genre. I occasionally watch them still (most recently Princess Mononoke).

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
1) What is the first anime you ever watched?

Hmmm...I don't quite remember...it may have been InuYasha...or Big O(<------BADASS SHOW)...or the one with all the wolves that I can never remember...

2) How were you introduced to it?

I couldn't sleep one night and started watching Adult Swim when I was like five or six.

3) Did it make you want to watch more anime (Why or Why not)?

Yeah, though mostly because I was too young to understand the plots and then remembered them when I got older. Then I rewatched them and LOVED Big O and liked InuYasha until it got really repetitive (shortly after Sango was introduced). Finally, I got unlimited high-speed Internet last Christmas break and a day hasn't gone by without me watching something new. Though, frankly, I'm more of a manga guy than an anime guy.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
1) TTGL (Fucking awsome)
2) cuase i was bored and thought.. hey lets see if i can find a good anime, my socks blew off after the ending.
3) I havent... and would like to... can anyone recoment me a few I should watch/buy.

Ryuu Akamatsu

Feb 26, 2009
1) Speed Racer
2) it was on Cartoon Network I think.
3) Well I certainly watched more cartoons.

I THINK that was my first anime. It was so long ago that my memory of what I watched back then is a little hazy.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Um... all at the same time was dragon ball/Z, Sailor moon and hello kitty they were all were on tv when i was a kid, the 90's rocked for kids cartoons.

Mray3460

Jul 27, 2008
Emphraim said:
Mray3460 said:
an Albino African American Anime Otaku
You don't know how awesome that sounds.
I do, and he is. He's also legally blind, but can drive (legally!), and is a champion in several district level yo-yo competitions (I swear I am not making this up!).

Desert Warrior

Sep 15, 2009
My first probably anime show well my favourite one would have been Yugioh and the first anime Movie i would have seen would be Spirited away