Your most hated RPG status effect

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
BG2's charm was the bane of my time playing the game. Not fun to see Minsc turn around and start beating on his former party members. Have distant memories of having the lame it out and hide until it wore off, the first time I played it I had very little idea how to stop it or cure it so just one charm could wipe my party.

Oh also I hated stop in FF9, not that it was partially bad but I didn't know that if all party members were stopped then its a game over! Completely got me by surprise once and I've hated it ever since

Illithidae

Oct 19, 2010
Iunno, it'd be a hard choice. Maybe Disables (Arm/Legs)? Charm? I think Charm would be pretty high up there, since it's pretty much worse than a Death effect - it's just, rather than your character dying, they switch to the other team. It's a death sentence if it's your strongest character that gets Charmed (Note: It usually is).

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Stone or paralyze. Why don't they just kill the party member instead of casting that on them, it's the exact same thing.

NurseDoomsday

Sep 29, 2009
Charm. I recently finished .hack//infection and the only time I got a game over was when I ran into a mimic who proceeded to use charm on BlackRose (Hardest Hitting character in your party) who then walked up and 1-shot my healer and me before being killed by the mimics. I learned never to leave town without at least 20 status cure items.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Death effect is rather awful in games like FF13, where its game over if it hits your main character.

Other than that, I hate Confusion. The one moment when all the preparation and grinding of my tank/warrior turns on me.

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
Slow. I can take being stunned or whatever but when my character is running at half-speed through a puddle of molasses my button-mashing reaches epic rage-inducing levels. Similarly (not very common in games) when they slow your skill recharges. Nothing worse than being pounded on as you button mash your attacks only to see them greyed out and reloading eeeever soo slooooowlllly ... (I think these are mostly from City of Heroes)

guyroxorz

Apr 21, 2009
Paralysis or fear, fear really pisses me off as I always always ALWAYS get hit with it as i'm about to pull off something awesome and it screws up everything. Anything that paralyses me/stuns me pisses me off, god damn rogues.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
Mind Controlled or Feared. Nothing worse than having your 2h warrior run back to the group to open up some face. Yours.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
CrimsonBlaze said:
Anything that permanently kills you and cannot be revived. In some games, being Petrified and then broken into pieces does this and especially in Xenosaga, if you are on an AGWS, Stop permanently shuts you down and you cannot make anymore moves.
From BG, Petrify did this - normal death you could deal with and resurrect the party member, but anything that Shattered basically meant a reload.

ForgottenPr0digy said:
Bad Breath from a Marlboro is terrible because it gives all the status effects I hate. I also hate the death spell and stone status effect and confusion and sleep from any of the final fantasy games I've played.
In FFX, there were Marlboro's that did this as an opening move. Only real way to avoid a wipe I found was when I had a weapon that gave a first attack, and could use that attack to 1-hit the enemy before it could hit me.

Berenzen said:
Gustof26 said:
Berenzen said:
Guild Wars' disease. Holy hell that was annoying, you get hit with it, your entire party then shares it, and it'll last the whole damned battle and for a time afterward as the disease retriggers on people that the person hasn't passed it to.
Nah, backfire was by far the most annoying. Cast a spell, half dead. Wonder why your half dead, heal spell, your no longer half dead. Your now dead. Damn you MESMERS!
Well, if you want to include magic effects, sure most mesmer shutdown skills are annoying, but they can be dealt with easily if you're paying attention, however, with disease, once one person has it, everyone does if you're playing with heroes, and you can't bother trying to get rid of the condition unless you have a mass remove spell, which typically aren't brought in normal builds, otherwise it just gets reapplied.
Never really had problems with Disease; condi removal is fairly cheap and plentiful. The big hex problem I had was Diversion. Anything else you can deal with, but if you don't notice it before you use a skill (which is all of the time), you've lost potentially your necessary spell (losing RoF, or PS vs spike teams can pretty much result in getting rolled).

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
Fear for me too. What is your shiny new sword of pwnage good for if you're just standing there, unable to move and hands shaking like mad. :p (while the healer gets chased around lol)

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
Silence because I love magic and I feel sad when people stop me from shooting fire out of my fingers and Poison because no one likes poison.

gfmbhsmo

Mar 17, 2010
banish , remove whatever you want to call it
any move that removes a charecterfrom battle
these are most prominent in the final fantasy games
an enemie will eat you or flick you out of battle and then ur left with 1 less party member to fight with and they always rid you of the best or most effective member too
hate this shit so much

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
Curse in Dark Souls

Kills you instantly and halves your health permanently upon respawn, unless you can heal it.

And yes, if you get it again, your health gets quartered, and so forth.

That's not really nice, if you ask me.

LucidGizmo

Jul 20, 2009
Paralyze/Stun. Way too many times I have had my party stun-locked. The other status effects you can ignore/neutralize, but if your whole party gets paralyzed... you are kinda up the creek, but death effects are bloody annoying as well

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
ms_sunlight said:
Ando85 said:
Poison, silence, stone, charm, berserk, and a multitude of others. What is your most hated RPG negative status effect and why?
In Final Fantasy games, Zombie. It's hard to resist, awkward to cure and a real pain the backside in a heated battle.

In most other games, sleep effects. My character is asleep in the middle of a battle. Really? You're serious?
Hit the head on the nail, here. Although there are a couple instances where I find Petrify more of a nuisance than Zombie.*cough*underwater battles*cough*>> Before I figured out Phoenix Downs outright kill that giant zombie watersnake dragon thing(can't remember what it's called) I would always dread getting to that fight because it would constantly petrify Tidus and I'd constantly have to watch him sink to the bottom and shatter on the floor like he's even less durable than glass.

Agreed that in most other games, sleep is the worst. And it's even worse when enemies can attack you WITHOUT waking you up.

One of my absolutely most hated effects, though, would be Curse from Dark Souls. My very first time running into it, I got cursed three times, so I was stuck at 1/8 of my max health for the longest time, because everything 1 shot me and my combat had to be SPOT ON in order to get from bonfire to bonfire WITH the souls I'd collected, in order to reach Oswald and buy a curestone for Curse. Although, little did I know one stone was enough for the whole thing, because I kept trying to save enough souls for 3 of them. :{

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It's not really a status effect per se, but I'd have to say that as far as old-style RPGs go I hate "HP to 1" the most. It's always great to have the whole party reduced to 1 and then get aoed -_-