Your name

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
Liam's a good name,
I'm Robert, though I have been called (good to start out with) Rob, Robbie, Roby, Bob, Bobby, (then it gets weird) Harrison, Jessie, Evan, Bertie. My name should not be that hard to remember.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
My name is Daniel, and we are many. I can't count how many times someone has been looking for a different Dan, Danny, Daniel when I turned my head. I also hate the song Danny Boy because I'm also of Irish decent thus I have forever associated that song with death.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
RedxDecember said:
My name is Liam (LEE-YUM). I'm white and I go to a primarily black school. I fit in pretty well, but recently a teacher couldn't pronounce my name. She'd call me Lam or Laim or Leem. I didn't care about that. That's her issue and it's minor at most. But since then I've had kids come up to me and just say "Your name is (insert offensive slur here)." No laughing, etc. Just saying it to be a dick. I don't know why this makes me feel so insecure, but it just gets me in the right way. Call me fat, that's fine, I could go on a diet and change that. Call me stupid, I could go read a few books and pay attention in class. I never take insults that seriously. Call my name retarded, stupid, gay? Not cool. I can't change it and I don't fucking want to. But for some lame reason I care about what they say. So if you've read so far, I thank you and here are my questions.

Is the name Liam dumb to you?
Have you ever been made fun of because of your name? How did you handle it?

Thank you for reading.
I know several people named Liam...totally normal name here in suburban NJ. Maybe there aren't a lot of Liams where you live.

OT: Jonathan.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
You share your first name with one of the greatest actors, to ever grace the big screen (Liam Neeson) it's an awesome name.

Anyway I'm called Jamie, I haven't had any jokes about my name. Although people do sometimes mispronounce my surname.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Liam is a relatively common name; I don't know what's wrong with the people around where you live.

My name is James. Common, dignified, and difficult to pronounce incorrectly. I'm perfectly fine with it.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
RedxDecember said:
My name is Liam (LEE-YUM). I'm white and I go to a primarily black school. I fit in pretty well, but recently a teacher couldn't pronounce my name. She'd call me Lam or Laim or Leem. I didn't care about that. That's her issue and it's minor at most. But since then I've had kids come up to me and just say "Your name is (insert offensive slur here)." No laughing, etc. Just saying it to be a dick. I don't know why this makes me feel so insecure, but it just gets me in the right way. Call me fat, that's fine, I could go on a diet and change that. Call me stupid, I could go read a few books and pay attention in class. I never take insults that seriously. Call my name retarded, stupid, gay? Not cool. I can't change it and I don't fucking want to. But for some lame reason I care about what they say. So if you've read so far, I thank you and here are my questions.

Is the name Liam dumb to you?
Have you ever been made fun of because of your name? How did you handle it?

Thank you for reading.
Liam is my favorite name for a boy. My name is practically unpronounceable for Western speakers. They don't even try anymore.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
I think Liam is a nice name. I don't see how it's that hard to pronounce either.

And everyone has just been calling me by my nickname, bee, for so long that I don't get made fun of for my actual name. Which is good, because it's higly make-funnable.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Hey, I know a couple of guys named Liam. One of them is a good friend of mine. And there's nothing wrong with your name.

As for me... I'm Miranda.
Not Amanda. Or Myrissa. Or Melinda.

Miranda, got it?

...No, it's not Amanda! CHRIST PEOPLE, WHAT THE HELL.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
My name is Benjamin. I get a lot of comments about how extremely common it is.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I've always liked the name Liam - and I don't think it's particularly unusual.

My name is Vanessa (vuh-NEH-suh). I've never had any problems with it. Except that some people, no matter how many times they are corrected, spell my name with a 'E' - Venessa, or even Venassa; nope, sorry. Try again. *raspberry*

My middle name is Renate - that's always a fun thing to see. People trying to pronounce it out loud after reading it.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Gaiseric said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

(Although Americans seem to think it's a chick name for some reason).

Incidently, I have friend named Liam, and he's had the same problems with Americans who can't seem to pronounce it correctly.
Well you share the name of Bruce Campbell's character in Evil Dead so I think that makes you more awesome.
Awesome Movie, I was trying to think what movie the main character was Ashley, and you reminded me!

OT: My name gets spelt incorrectly all the time, Apparently Mathew is always spelt with 2 t's (Matthew)

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Ashley.

I'm a guy.

I'm that awesome.

(Although Americans seem to think it's a chick name for some reason).

Incidently, I have friend named Liam, and he's had the same problems with Americans who can't seem to pronounce it correctly.
Any American who doesn't instantly think of Bruce Campbell's character in Army of Darkness/Evil Dead when they hear the name Ashley should be ashamed of themselves.
OT: It's Dalton.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Liam, that's Irish! My name's Irish too! Brendan, which means Raven in Celtic, so I think it's kinda cool...

Naturespark

Sep 15, 2011
Sean, a unisex name. It's an irish name meaning "love of god" Which I find to be dilightfully ironic. My last name is krueger. Yes, its my real name. No, you can't have it. You might think it means "killer of teenagers in dreams" But in fact it means "innkeeper" or "Maker of mugs". It's german.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Liam is an awesome name and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Contrary to my profile, my name is Damon (day-muhn). Not much room for joking or insults there. But, hardly anyone can pronounce it without saying Damien or Diemon or David.

Don't even get me started on my last name. I won't post it here since it leaves me open, but it has been mistaken for Anderson but does does not sound or spell like Anderson.

My college played a cruel joke on me last year, though.

In the dorms, my roommate was named Matt.

Get it? Get it?

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
You ever watch a Liam Neeson movie? Schindler's List? Les Misérables? Michael Collins? "Liam" isn't a bad name.

Besides, it could've been worse. You could have been named Sue...

StereoMike

Jul 13, 2010
My name's Mike so no one every mispronounces it, but I got a ton of unwanted nicknames. People weren't very creative they usually just called me another famous Mike. I got a lot "Oh hey Michael...JACKSON!" or "How come you suck at basketball Michael...JORDAN!?!?" No one seemed to realize that there are approximately a hojillion people named Mike, so pointing out that my name is the same as someone else's is not something I haven't heard five hundred times.

Now my last name is so unique that anyone who has it is related to me, and it is actually funny and easy to derive insulting and/or creative nicknames from; yet no one ever seems to make fun of it.

To give you some idea it is 3 letters away from "Raspberry".

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
I like the name Liam because Liam Neeson is a complete badass and one of my favorite actors.

My name is Corey. People always spell it Cory though. When I was in Elementary School everyone made fun of my name because it was supposedly a girl's name. I have yet to meet or hear of any girl named Cory or Corey. The lesson? People have a need to make fun of other people to make themselves feel better about their horrid lives.

Brodie Jenkins

Jul 6, 2011
The name Liam is fine, I'm jealous to be honest, my name is used for both genders (although extremely rare) but the male version is meant to be spelt with a Y not IE so I was constantly teased for having a "girls name" xD never really got to me though, bullies are bullies dude don't let them get to you, they're only trying to compensate for how miserable they feel inside