Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I'm actually glad with this review, which is interesting as I loved this game.

I actually don't find the missions repetitive, but because I try and grab everything in the cities (well, not really the flags). I do every mission available just because I like to. I also like the combat, as I enjoy feeling like a bad ass when I hit one button and Altair performs uber-kills. I also like experimenting with the new abilities, even though you don't really need to.

Everything else is spot on, but still, I really do enjoy this title.

I'd like to see him do Blacksite: Area 51, though. Yahtzee is at his best when reviewing bad games (and while I enjoyed the first Area 51 enough as a generic shooter, this one looks....painful. I only enjoyed part of the demo, which isn't a good sign).

FelixofMars

Oct 31, 2007
Yahtzee is back on top form, pretty much agrees with what I think about the game. Oh and I like the use of the word stabby.

The lepers and beggars are annoying, usually just use the hidden blade when I get sick of them. Now if you didn't get arrested for doing it in real life.

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
Willias15 said:
So is it possible to download these reviews??
No, but if you want to share them, just direct people here.

Helps that charismatic stallion paying the rent.

LyonLee

Aug 30, 2007
An excellent review, as always. I just purchased the game, and I've read reviews either lambasting or praising it. I do think I'll actually enjoy the free-roaming parts of it. At least, assuming I don't get too bored inbetween assassinations.

the_sock

Dec 5, 2007
wow, a mistake in a zp-review. i am amazed.
showing the prince of persia game covers, he missed 3.
three.
prince of persia, prince of persia 2, and prince of persia 3D.
many people would just like to forget the last one entirely...

and in case anyone doubts that before the creation of ubisoft, games were produced in this sol system: check out this: http://www.princeofpersia3d.com/main.html by 'red orb' (division of 'brøderbund')
prince 1+2 dont seem to have a website, maybe thats because brøderbund was bought by 'tlc' (the learning company), which game division 'game studio' was bought by ubisoft in the end.

so all in all did ubisoft by the rights for the prince, and then produced its own three games - which are the only games yahtzee refers to, which i find sad.

anyway, it was nice to see an orc-battle cry in a review of yahtzee just for once - if only to be used in a upside-down sense since the girl is running away - and not charging as she should be.

Qwirk

Nov 28, 2007
I'll forgive a game for mediocre gameplay if the storyline is decent enough, and the middle ages storyline appealed to me.

I think Yahtzee should piss off everyone outside of Australia and review a non-US released game...like Rugby 08.

Lord T Hawkeye

Oct 24, 2007
But whatever the case, I quite dislike the argument that "it tried something new and therefore is good" because really, that's rubbish. Lots of games tried something new, the problem was they weren't very good ideas.

I seriously would rather play a game that sticks with what works than one where the programmers got stoned and took notes. Innovation is great and all but give it a healthy dose of "Don't fix what isn't broken."

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Lord T Hawkeye said:
But whatever the case, I quite dislike the argument that "it tried something new and therefore is good" because really, that's rubbish.
That's not what he said at all. Overall he liked it, AND it tried something new. There have been previous games he's reviewed where it tried something new and still sucked hairy balls.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
On the contrary, even if the game is broken, it's still a positive game, that has, at least, laid down the basics for a better sequel.

If the same is simple or repetitive, well, so be it. I'm still willing to try it, and I'm fairly sure I've played far worse games.

By the way, why does a game that attempts something a tad new goes through so much flak, as being said repetitive, when there's a hell of games such as the RPGs which are extremely repetitive and require you to waste whole pans of hours by packs of twenty to level your bloody characters? And let's not even get into the MMOs.

mrbunny

Dec 5, 2007
lol i like the lepper characters - for some reason they come off as so cute :] *beware the alluring eyes of the leppers, they will trance you for a hug*

superbleeder12

agamersperspective.com
Oct 13, 2007
I thought this review was mediocre at best. It seemed like Yahtzee couldn't decide whether or not to lambaste the game or praise it.

Teh_Hace

Sep 26, 2007
hmmmmzz, my preidction is that he will either review Uncharted, Mario Galaxy or Mass Effect next...

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
I felt like Yahtzee was TRYING to lambaste the game, as is his most usual way, but had enough fun where he just couldn't make good arguments. Overall, I saw him giving it a thumbs up, though I can easily see why you might end up confused.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
ShadokatRegn said:
Absolutely brilliant, as always, appreciate the honest reviews. I find it amusing that a company would even try to make a game that required a disclaimer - haven't seen one of those since Jet Set Radio Future.

It seems to be a silly trend, but game developers seem to want to add as much wandering around through pointless quests in empty "filler" places (in this case, starting at your home base on top of a fucking mountain at the beginning of every fucking quest) with little action as an attempt to extend the game play hours. Somehow it seems like they think this'll make it worth the additional cash we've been asked to fork over to play their games.

Cheers.
Well its mini levels like on Legacy of Kain 3 or oversized empty ones, a better balance between the 2 would help with pointless busy work, map warp points would be nice to, just to reduce pointless time wasting.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
superbleeder12 said:
I thought this review was mediocre at best. It seemed like Yahtzee couldn't decide whether or not to lambaste the game or praise it.
I could feel how he forced himself.