Zero Punctuation: Capcom Five

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I bought a Gamecube at the time specifically for RE Remake and RE4 and didn't necessarily felt disappoint by Capcom porting RE4 over to PS2(though Mikami threatened to 'cut off his own head' if that ever happened which I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't mention). I think RE4 on GC was still superior as I got both versions and the PS2 one definitely looked more washed out with worse lighting effects. It's obvious the game was optimized for GC and the PS2 port was fairly poor in my opinion.

As for the Capcom five; never played PN03 but I thought Killer7 and Viewtiful Joe were both pretty fun. Original atleast. The Gamecube in general was really an underperformer that could have done much better even if it had some games I really liked: Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess(atleast began development as a GC title) and the 'exclusive' Resident Evil games of which RE4 remains one of my most favorite games of all time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm still holding out for a retro review of RE4. Surprised he hasn't done one already.
What's there to say?! Its awesome, Leon is a dork, Luis is a sexy man, boing boing, 'your hand comes off?', LEEEOONN!, bang bang, woof.
There. That's RE4 in a nutshell.
Well yeah but he usually finds the time to retro-review his favorite games, like Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
LordTerminal said:
5) Exclusivity is not anti-consumerism. This is PC elitism horse crap if I ever heard it! What is the point of getting a console if you don't have exclusives that you offer that others don't in addition to the 3rd Party stuff? If anything, the mentality of the market today needs to die and we need to go back to what made the 16-bit era great instead.
Do you even know what "anti-consumer" is? You just listed why exclusivity is short-term pro-company (and anti-consumer).
Lets flip that argument and actually look at it from the consumer's side this time: "What is the point of spending 400 more dollars on a new box of gaming hardware to play this game when I already have a perfectly good box of equal-if-not-better gaming hardware right here?" Unless you're an asshole who enjoys being able to have something that others can't, there's no satisfactory answers for that.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hey...I like cartridges! It's just a shame that developers do not. The lazy cunts! Also, the GameCube could do some things better than the Xbox, if I remember correctly; more layered textures (possibly 4 or...8?) and more colours. But overall computing power not so much.

Also I do wish capcom would whore themselves out ever so slightly more so that Dead rising 3 can at least come over to the darkside.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hey...I like cartridges! It's just a shame that developers do not.
A well-made cartridge is definitely better from a usability angle (harder to damage, no moving parts, smaller nowadays, faster seek times), it's just that they're WAAAY more expensive to manufacture than discs. I doubt the devs care much about that, but the publishers sure do.
Though I suppose they've made a quasi-resurgence now, with SD cards being used to store digital download games.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hey...I like cartridges! It's just a shame that developers do not. The lazy cunts! Also, the GameCube could do some things better than the Xbox, if I remember correctly; more layered textures (possibly 4 or...8?) and more colours. But overall computing power not so much.

Also I do wish capcom would whore themselves out ever so slightly more so that Dead rising 3 can at least come over to the darkside.
Yeah, when it came to games, the general order of superior versions went "Dreamcast > GameCube = Xbox > PS2". There were some exceptions to this like the original Ghost Recon and Sonic Adventure, but this is the rule for the most part.

MicRemembersBadly

Aug 14, 2013
crimsonshrouds said:
LordTerminal said:
we got a Nintendo fan boy over here. Just because somebody doesn't suck nintendo's cock, does not equate to anti-nintendo bias.

Your entire post is just white knighting for a massive corporation who sees you as nothing more than a wallet with legs.
It's worse than that. Read his posting history; He's been reacting over-emotionally to criticism of Nintendo for years. He was previously banned for exactly the same behaviour exhibited here, screaming at Yahtzee for "anti-Nintendo bias" too. It's got to the point that I open every single videos comments expecting to see his name and the exact same imbalanced freak out; Every. Single. Video. And every time, he's always, always there. He's even claimed Yahtzee sets his mood for the day. He's blamed him for his outbursts of rage. We're dealing with someone who has, for YEARS, been triggered in entirely unhealthy ways to the point I often wonder if Yahtzee makes his videos with the same knowing smile on his face that LordTerminal/LordTerminus will be there foaming and howling within a day...

The guy clearly has real life issues. And it's really, really sad and a terrible shame.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
MC1980 said:
maximalist566 said:
Funny thing is, there is still a Capcom franchise that's pretty much exclusive to Nintendo consoles. That's Ace Attorney - only been out on DS, Wii and 3DS as far as I remember. And it's doing pretty good there. (Yes, I know that there are iPad versions as well, but I don't really count it as a "gaming platform")
You should count it as gaming platforms, the best version of Dual Destinies is the iOS version. And it's not doing all that great. 2 of the games weren't even released here and the mainline series is relegated to eshop only with overpriced DLC. Sales seem to be on a downward trajectory. AA used to be localised into 5 different languages, and now we only get English.
The content DLC in Phoenix Wright is absolutely not overpriced. In both PW5 and PW6 there are 5 cases (as there have been in every previous game) and the game costs $30, with an extra full length case available as DLC for $6. Compared to other Capcom DLC offerings it's shockingly priced exactly what it should be.

....But then there's costume DLC and that garbage is indeed grossly overpriced.

And Capcom treats fans outside Japan like trash as it is. Capcom's refusal to localize Edgeworth Investigations 2 and Great Ace Attourney is nothing short of despicable. They even just announced Great Ace Attourney 2, so I can't wait for the idiotic rationalizations from Capcom about why they aren't localizing that one either.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Funny thing is, the Gamecube is probably one of my favorite consoles.

Also, as much as I love the idea of every single game from now on to be released on PC and thus never have to buy a console again, I never really got the idea that exclusives are a terrible thing.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
marioandsonic said:
Funny thing is, the Gamecube is probably one of my favorite consoles.

Also, as much as I love the idea of every single game from now on to be released on PC and thus never have to buy a console again, I never really got the idea that exclusives are a terrible thing.
That's because they're not. They just come off as being an anti-consumer practice because of the way business laws are set up to force companies to compete (At least, in the U.S.).

To put it one way, say every single game was and is only developed for PC. That would mean that Microsoft would have a monopoly on the game industry, and that's essential giving them compete control over what happens. As anyone can tell you with any company, that's way too much power despite what they may "intend" to do.

So, then you have Mac and Linux OSs introduced into the mix to prevent Microsoft from having complete control. But, what about those who only use the computer for business and work, and do not think of it as the same system that you'd play games on? Then, you have companies who developed arcade systems designed solely for gaming. But, what about those who do not want to go down to the local pub and constantly waste their pocket change playing Galaga and Wild Gunmen? Then, you develop the home systems for those who want to buy the games one time and one time only. But, what about the fact that the only console in the market is inadequate to produce your games on? Then, that company develops their own system to fit their specific needs. But, what about this new technology on the market that offers a new way to play games? Then, a company comes along and finds a way to integrate that tech into their old or new systems and give them an edge over their competitors. But, what about the ability to use your system for other reasons than as a "gaming only" device? Then, a company finds a way to integrate other features in their system to make it more accessible to other consumers. But, what about the fact that different companies are essentially selling the same system? Then, you go out and buy the system that best suits your needs.

But, what if I only want to buy one system to play everything? Then, your out of luck and you better get over it. You either have one company ruling over everyone, or multiple companies competing for control.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
MC1980 said:
Thanatos2k said:
In both PW5 and PW6 there are 5 cases (as there have been in every previous game) and the game costs $30, with an extra full length case available as DLC for $6.
I know the cases themselves aren't priced outrageously for what they are meant to be, I'm just still a bit salty that the DLC cases were free for a week after release in Japan, and here it's fuck you pay me, among other things.
Oh they were, were they. Well, then fuck you Capcom.

It seems like they actually planned for DLC with Spirit of Justice, since this actually takes places post game. I'm only halfway through the dlc case, but it seems more filler-y than the main game.
Cases 2 and 4 of the game are pure filler as it is, and pretty blatantly so. But only because case 1 3 and 5 have a connecting storyline. In previous games it was usually case 2 into 4 or 5 and the others completely disconnected.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
The next one in the series should be EA buying then destroying studios because they keep doing it and never learn.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LordTerminal said:
2) P.N.03 was only reviewed terribly and we all know now not to trust the reviewing media. Yahtzee included.

5) Exclusivity is not anti-consumerism. This is PC elitism horse crap if I ever heard it! What is the point of getting a console if you don't have exclusives that you offer that others don't in addition to the 3rd Party stuff? If anything, the mentality of the market today needs to die and we need to go back to what made the 16-bit era great instead.
"Only reviewed terribly" The hell is that supposed to mean? Everyone hated it, but it was only a conspiracy to put the little man down, maaan?

You wot? The notion that everyone should get to play everything so that everyone can have fun and enjoy the games they like rather than being gated is elitist? Do you even know what elitist means? The point of buying a console is and always should be ease of use, not petty arguing over who has the best exclusives.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Now we have the Nintendo NX. A console that's really a sort-of-handheld that Ubisoft are fawning over.

Prediction: Ubisoft will make a few games NX Exclusive, then port them to to the other consoles (and PC) two months later, and Nintendo will go cry in to their Misty full body pillow wondering why all their friends are abandoning them.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
inu-kun said:
I really dislike the "exclusivity is anti consumerism" opinion, actual competition between consoles can make them invest in better games rather than the current trend of making mediocre games because people will buy them for brand name. At worst buy another console, god knows people today spend much more money for much stupider things.
Then you are wrong. Exclusivity is horrible for the consumers forcing them to purchase multiple devices that for all intends and purposes shouldnt even exist anymore. Innovation in games has nothing to do with it being exclusive or not, especially now when all relevant consoles run exact same architecture as PCs (sorry nintendo, you havent been relevant in a long time).

No, noone should EVER be forced to buy a console.

LordTerminal said:

There's no way around it. This is anti-Nintendo propaganda. If I wanted that, I'd go read the garbage Sean Malstrom spews on that cesspool of a blog of his. Yahtzee is not fit to review Nintendo products anymore. He only cares about Nintendo products that cater to his elitist auteur views and considers the company a virus otherwise. Hence he gets labeled biased. No Yahtzee, you are the virus here.
Absolute horseshpit. Not giving consumers a choice is anti-consumerism. Its as simple as that. There is no point in getting a console. If the only reason you buy it is for exclusives then you are being conned. Why the fuck do you defend conmen?

And what did made 16 bit era great? shit games and bought reviews? or was it the console wars?

There is no need to make anti-nintendo propaganda. its already one of the worst companies out there. The company IS a virus. It should be disbanded for its illegal youtube abuse alone.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
And what did made 16 bit era great? shit games and bought reviews? or was it the console wars?
For me, it's seeing what companies could do with games under the technological constraints they faced. With today's tech, anyone with a slight grasp on GameMaker can develop an entire multi-part epic with dialog, effects, etc.. That wasn't the case 20+ years ago when you cloudn't make a game bigger than a few dozen megabytes, a limited color palette, limits on animation complexity, and an audio byte had the risk of taking up an overwhelming majority of the cartridge.

Also, to address you're other comments, it's because of business laws requiring companies to compete. If you want a lengthier explanation, look at my post near the top of the page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.943342-Zero-Punctuation-Capcom-Five?page=3#23803230].

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Transdude1996 said:
Rangaman said:
I cannot name a single brilliant Nintendo game released after 2010. I'm not making that up. Everything has either been more of the same, with as little effort as possible put into development (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros, Tropical Freeze) or just shit (Nintendo Land, Sticker Star, Federation Force).
The Xenoblade Chronicles X is a very good title. Also, I heard the new Fire Emblem was great on the gameplay front. Though sadly, they're also the titles that really soured
Nintendo for me, and was my proverbial "last straw" when it come to financially supporting the company.
I'm not one for JRPGs, personally. Also, Xenoblade isn't really a Nintendo franchise. It's exclusive to Nintendo systems, but then again Rhythm Thief was as well, and I wouldn't really call that a Nintendo game.

LordTerminal said:
Rangaman said:
Everything has either been more of the same, with as little effort as possible put into development (Mario 3D World, A Link Between Worlds, Dream Team Bros, Tropical Freeze)
And you completely invalidated everything you said by saying Tropical Freeze has as little effort as possible because that is a fucking lie. Take my advice and crawl back into whatever hole you crawled out of. I read enough elitist hipsterism bullshit on Twitter.
Why don't you calm down and have some kale?

Now, have you actually played TF? The gameplay is identical to that of DKCR. So yes, minimum effort.

At this point I'm convinced you're either a troll, an idiot, a sad, sad individual or any combination of the three. Please stop embarrassing yourself, it's only going to incite the mods.