Zero Punctuation: Capcom Five

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Strazdas said:
inu-kun said:
I really dislike the "exclusivity is anti consumerism" opinion, actual competition between consoles can make them invest in better games rather than the current trend of making mediocre games because people will buy them for brand name. At worst buy another console, god knows people today spend much more money for much stupider things.
Then you are wrong. Exclusivity is horrible for the consumers forcing them to purchase multiple devices that for all intends and purposes shouldnt even exist anymore. Innovation in games has nothing to do with it being exclusive or not, especially now when all relevant consoles run exact same architecture as PCs (sorry nintendo, you havent been relevant in a long time).

No, noone should EVER be forced to buy a console.

LordTerminal said:
5) Exclusivity is not anti-consumerism. This is PC elitism horse crap if I ever heard it! What is the point of getting a console if you don't have exclusives that you offer that others don't in addition to the 3rd Party stuff? If anything, the mentality of the market today needs to die and we need to go back to what made the 16-bit era great instead.

There's no way around it. This is anti-Nintendo propaganda. If I wanted that, I'd go read the garbage Sean Malstrom spews on that cesspool of a blog of his. Yahtzee is not fit to review Nintendo products anymore. He only cares about Nintendo products that cater to his elitist auteur views and considers the company a virus otherwise. Hence he gets labeled biased. No Yahtzee, you are the virus here.
Absolute horseshpit. Not giving consumers a choice is anti-consumerism. Its as simple as that. There is no point in getting a console. If the only reason you buy it is for exclusives then you are being conned. Why the fuck do you defend conmen?

And what did made 16 bit era great? shit games and bought reviews? or was it the console wars?

There is no need to make anti-nintendo propaganda. its already one of the worst companies out there. The company IS a virus. It should be disbanded for its illegal youtube abuse alone.
Uhh, can I spend 300 dollars on a PC that can play the same games as a current console?
That's the tradeoff I get from buying a console, I know that I'm buying a console at or sometimes below the price it cost to make the damn thing, so I'm fine with them keeping some stuff exclusive to let me do that
I'm not saying they are perfect angels or anything, but there are reasons for what they do

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
LordTerminal said:
Snippity snap
You must be new here. You should know that Yahtzee is biased against Nintendo because they never were and never will be the monolithic saints of gaming that all the fantards keep proclaiming them to be. It could also just be a running gag, because he's a COMEDIAN.

Furthermore, I take issue with your points.

1. You clearly don't understand what the word "gimmick" means. The PS2's DVD drive was an upgrade from the CD-ROM format, allowing for a considerable upgrade in disc space, therefore more game content, and the PS2 also happened to be a cheaper alternative to dedicated DVD players at the time of release, and you get to play games with it. Fucking bargain, that is. The PS2 had weaker specifications than the GameCube, correct, but the ability to watch DVD movies on it as well as play games is such an exceptional strong point that this alone killed the GameCube. Nevermind that Sony doesn't fuck with third-party developers, last I checked. Feel free to present evidence against this, however.

2. Mileage will vary. No one should hold reviews up as the gospel and Yahtzee agrees with me on this.

3. This wasn't about Capcom's recent fuck-ups, but their fleeting relationship with Nintendo.

4. You missed the part where Yahtzee said "And IF that's true". Don't quote mine.

5. You don't understand what is anti-consumer and what isn't, and what "elitism" is. When there exists multiple gaming platforms on the market, a developer is only hurting themselves when they refuse to release on multiple systems. It excludes demographics and hurts sales, breeds jealousy among the public and cripples the less financially blessed. By the very definition of the term "elitist", it is those that make software exclusive to one particular set of hardware, not the other way around.

So no, Yahtzee is not an "elitist auteur", he's a comedian, and you don't get to decide what he's fit to review or not. Read a dictionary sometime before you use big words you clearly don't understand. Finally, you're in denial. Stop telling others to "take off the tin foil hat and live in the real world". You sorely need to re-examine your stance on things and perceive actual facts, not spew immature strawman arguments.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
DrownedAmmet said:
Uhh, can I spend 300 dollars on a PC that can play the same games as a current console?
That's the tradeoff I get from buying a console, I know that I'm buying a console at or sometimes below the price it cost to make the damn thing, so I'm fine with them keeping some stuff exclusive to let me do that
I'm not saying they are perfect angels or anything, but there are reasons for what they do
You can, but i would suggest you choose a 500 dolalr PC instead and have far superior experience. And yes the console in some cases will perform better than that 300 dollar PC. It has nothing to do with exclusives however. The console companies get a cut from EVERY game sold. 10 dollars of any game you buy on a console goes to the console manufacturer, no matter who that game is from.

Yes, there are reason for what they do and those reasons are anti-consumer.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:
You can, but i would suggest you choose a 500 dolalr PC instead and have far superior experience. And yes the console in some cases will perform better than that 300 dollar PC. It has nothing to do with exclusives however. The console companies get a cut from EVERY game sold. 10 dollars of any game you buy on a console goes to the console manufacturer, no matter who that game is from.

You do know that Steam does the same thing, as well as every other digital marketplace that exists. Does that mean you'll stop supporting Steam, GOG, and the like for this engagement in "anti-consumer" practices?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:

As much as I dislike the console manufacturers, what kind of argument is that? of course they take a cut.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:

You do know that Steam does the same thing, as well as every other digital marketplace that exists. Does that mean you'll stop supporting Steam, GOG, and the like for this engagement in "anti-consumer" practices?
Not really no. The difference is that Steam and other digital marketplaces take 15% (iOS takes 20%) cut from the sale price. Microsoft and Sony takes a flat 10 dollar fee. This means that on digital marketplaces you can have lower price with proportional cut to the distributor whereas on consoles you end up with most of the game price being the manufacturers fee.

Furthermore, there is a difference in the approaches. MS and Sony takes a cut from every game sold, no matter what form. Steam only takes a cut from games sold via steam. Imagine if Nvidia would take 5 dollars cut for every game you bought because you use an Nvidia GPU. Thats what MS and Sony is doing.

elvor0 said:
As much as I dislike the console manufacturers, what kind of argument is that? of course they take a cut.
So you think it would be fine if Nvidia and AMD took a cut for every game you bought because they manufactured your hardware?

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:

Not really no. The difference is that Steam and other digital marketplaces take 15% (iOS takes 20%) cut from the sale price. Microsoft and Sony takes a flat 10 dollar fee. This means that on digital marketplaces you can have lower price with proportional cut to the distributor whereas on consoles you end up with most of the game price being the manufacturers fee.

Furthermore, there is a difference in the approaches. MS and Sony takes a cut from every game sold, no matter what form. Steam only takes a cut from games sold via steam. Imagine if Nvidia would take 5 dollars cut for every game you bought because you use an Nvidia GPU. Thats what MS and Sony is doing.
Excuse me, but Steam and GOG take a 30% cut [http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-and-gog-take-30-revenue-cut-suggests-fez-creator-phil-fish/].

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:
DrownedAmmet said:

Excuse me, but Steam and GOG take a 30% cut [http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-and-gog-take-30-revenue-cut-suggests-fez-creator-phil-fish/].
Ah, that is indeed correct, no idea why i though it was 15% when i typed that. My apologies.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LordTerminal said:
Strazdas said:
inu-kun said:
I really dislike the "exclusivity is anti consumerism" opinion, actual competition between consoles can make them invest in better games rather than the current trend of making mediocre games because people will buy them for brand name. At worst buy another console, god knows people today spend much more money for much stupider things.
Then you are wrong. Exclusivity is horrible for the consumers forcing them to purchase multiple devices that for all intends and purposes shouldnt even exist anymore. Innovation in games has nothing to do with it being exclusive or not, especially now when all relevant consoles run exact same architecture as PCs (sorry nintendo, you havent been relevant in a long time).

No, noone should EVER be forced to buy a console.

LordTerminal said:
5) Exclusivity is not anti-consumerism. This is PC elitism horse crap if I ever heard it! What is the point of getting a console if you don't have exclusives that you offer that others don't in addition to the 3rd Party stuff? If anything, the mentality of the market today needs to die and we need to go back to what made the 16-bit era great instead.

There's no way around it. This is anti-Nintendo propaganda. If I wanted that, I'd go read the garbage Sean Malstrom spews on that cesspool of a blog of his. Yahtzee is not fit to review Nintendo products anymore. He only cares about Nintendo products that cater to his elitist auteur views and considers the company a virus otherwise. Hence he gets labeled biased. No Yahtzee, you are the virus here.
Absolute horseshpit. Not giving consumers a choice is anti-consumerism. Its as simple as that. There is no point in getting a console. If the only reason you buy it is for exclusives then you are being conned. Why the fuck do you defend conmen?

And what did made 16 bit era great? shit games and bought reviews? or was it the console wars?

There is no need to make anti-nintendo propaganda. its already one of the worst companies out there. The company IS a virus. It should be disbanded for its illegal youtube abuse alone.
You just backed my case up with that last part. This is all garbage PC elitism. Your master race is the true poison. Making everything run on PC is a terrible idea. PCs require all kinds of high end materials in order for a game to run perfectly and having to buy everything for PC means using up 90% of the harddrive space. It's ridiculous! And what's this I hear about shit games and bought reviews in the 16-bit era? Clearly you did not grow up in such a time. Get bent.
I'm pretty sure /you/ didn't grow up in that era either if this is either your attempt at humour or your genuine beliefs. If it is your genuine beliefs, perhaps take in the sheer amount of people laughing at your ridiculous statements and read what they're saying rather than feeding the bug up your arse about PC gaming.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LordTerminal said:
elvor0 said:
I'm pretty sure /you/ didn't grow up in that era either if this is either your attempt at humour or your genuine beliefs. If it is your genuine beliefs, perhaps take in the sheer amount of people laughing at your ridiculous statements and read what they're saying rather than feeding the bug up your arse about PC gaming.
If by people you mean the cackling single celled embryos that make up this entire PC master race bullcrap because PC gaming is far more anti consumer since you have to buy top end parts to build a PC meant for gaming, each costing way too much money to begin with. On top of that you have more and more people treating games as services or subscriptions or some other scummy business practice to make you constantly pay them over and over again like the horseshit Adobe pulls on Photoshop users these days because apparently, you're not allowed to OWN your purchases anymore. Why would ANY SENSIBLE HUMAN want to wish that upon the industry?!

No. The console market and exclusives must never go obsolete or that's what we'll have to forward to in future. And companies need to stop using PC architecture in there consoles as well. It's part of the reason why the PS4 and the Xbox One suck. Every console this generation has been a let down and I blame people like you! Once again: drop dead.
Okie dokie. You....you carry on. The argument against exclusivity has nothing to do with trying to get rid of consoles or rising one platform above another but you carry on with your insane rambles dude. I don't even know why on earth you bought up PC gaming or started arguing against PC players to begin with.

LordTerminal said:
constantly pay them over and over again
What you mean like Xbox live and PSN multiplayer?

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
LordTerminal said:
You just backed my case up with that last part. This is all garbage PC elitism. Your master race is the true poison. Making everything run on PC is a terrible idea. PCs require all kinds of high end materials in order for a game to run perfectly and having to buy everything for PC means using up 90% of the harddrive space. It's ridiculous! And what's this I hear about shit games and bought reviews in the 16-bit era? Clearly you did not grow up in such a time. Get bent.
Wow, i sincerely hope this is your attenpt at humour. Such statements are aboslutely ludicrous otherwise.

By proving you wrong and explicitly pointing out why you are wrong i backed up none of your statements. I have not once mentioned the "master race". As far as PC elitism goes, whats wrong with choosing superior devices? Elitism means only that a certain person is superior to others. its a compliment.

Everything already runs on a PC. They just lock it down and make a lot of proprietary bullshit and call it a console. PC requires exactly the same materials to build as any other computer. In fact the current consoles literally have chips taken from Tablets and memory taken from PCs.

Yes, it takes a lot of power to run things perfectly, but at least PC gamers CAN run things perfectly. There isnt a single console game that can even run perfectly on its original hardware. So PC already got consoles beat by being the only one with the option. If you want to run games on console (read: shit) quality though, you only need the same hardware which means same price.

Hard drive space is cheap and large nwoadays. The largest game - GTA 5 takes 50 GB. 2000 GB HDD costs 80 dollars. This means that the space taken will cost you 4 dollars. and that is the worst case scenario for HDD storage (SSDs are more expensive) and thats storage you get back when you uninstall a game. ALso note that consoles also require the same exact instalation to hard drives.

Yeah, 16 bit era was full of shit games and bought reviews. I certainly grew up in this era. in fact i was born in it. I have used a Sega Mega Drive (known as Sega Genesis in US) all the way up to 2000.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
Yes, it takes a lot of power to run things perfectly, but at least PC gamers CAN run things perfectly. There isnt a single console game that can even run perfectly on its original hardware. So PC already got consoles beat by being the only one with the option. If you want to run games on console (read: shit) quality though, you only need the same hardware which means same price.
Oh, my friend, that is where you are wrong!

My experiences with PC gaming have shown that they are THE worst when it comes to actually playing games. For an overwhelming amount of titles, I've had to waste hours figuring out what magic formula of installed programs, enabled drivers, and GPU control panel configurations are needed just to even get a game running, until, on a few occasions, the info boiled down to "Haha, the your driver is out of date" only to then update it causing my system to crash or have games running in even worse condition. And, this is even true with age old games.

That's actually the main reason why I favor consoles: because I know the games will F***ING work.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:

My experiences with PC gaming have shown that they are THE worst when it comes to actually playing games. For an overwhelming amount of titles, I've had to waste hours figuring out what magic formula of installed programs, enabled drivers, and GPU control panel configurations are needed just to even get a game running, until, on a few occasions, the info boiled down to "Haha, the your driver is out of date" only to then update it causing my system to crash or have games running in even worse condition. And, this is even true with age old games.

That's actually the main reason why I favor consoles: because I know the games will F***ING work.
Then your experience is not representative of PC gaming. For the vast, vast majority of people all it takes is clicking install on steam/origin/uplay/goggalaxy and then pressing play once it has installed the game. The mere fact that you had to go "enable" drivers shows to me that your system is not configured correctly and that seems to be the reason your are having trouble. Average user (IE, not advanced user) would never need to do that or do control panel configurations.

ANd no, the games will not fucking work on console, IE all the PS3 ports that were unplayable. Heck, after seeing how people play skyrim on PS3 i wanted to drink bleach. Thank god i have no such problems.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Strazdas said:
Transdude1996 said:
Strazdas said:

Then your experience is not representative of PC gaming. For the vast, vast majority of people all it takes is clicking install on steam/origin/uplay/goggalaxy and then pressing play once it has installed the game. The mere fact that you had to go "enable" drivers shows to me that your system is not configured correctly and that seems to be the reason your are having trouble. Average user (IE, not advanced user) would never need to do that or do control panel configurations.

ANd no, the games will not fucking work on console, IE all the PS3 ports that were unplayable. Heck, after seeing how people play skyrim on PS3 i wanted to drink bleach. Thank god i have no such problems.
Tell me, how am I suppose to "properly configure" my computer when I've had to reinstall Windows on a number of occasion, and, each time, I've followed the instructions exactly on how to install everything, only to have the rug pulled out a month later after an update screws up my system?

Also, how many suckers were posting on forums, since Day 1, tricks and fixes on how to make games such as Arkham Knight, Deadly Premonition, FFXIII, and Assassin's Creed: Unity even become playable on more than capable hardware?

As for Skyrim, if you're going to use that as an example, how many mods did you apply before you even considered the game playable?

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
Tell me, how am I suppose to "properly configure" my computer when I've had to reinstall Windows on a number of occasion, and, each time, I've followed the instructions exactly on how to install everything, only to have the rug pulled out a month later after an update screws up my system?

Also, how many suckers were posting on forums, since Day 1, tricks and fixes on how to make games such as Arkham Knight, Deadly Premonition, FFXIII, and Assassin's Creed: Unity even become playable on more than capable hardware?

As for Skyrim, if you're going to use that as an example, how many mods did you apply before you even considered the game playable?
Well i dont know what are you doing with your system but it certainly isnt working. Perhaps its hardware failure you are experiencing instead?

Arkham Knight cannot become playable nor can Deadly Premonition. They are broken ports that developers should be hung for (figuratively). I am not familiar with woes of FF 13 but as far as Assassins creed goes there was no fix on day 1. The only "fix" possible is to introduce a multithread drawcall rendering for the game, because that was what was causing performance problems and that only became possible with DX12/Vulcan (to an extent, mantle too but AC doesnt support mantle). Do note that for all the games you listed all those problems were also present for the console version.

I only needed to install 1 mod for skyrim, the one that fixes the UI from absolutely horrible trash designed for consoles to a proper UI.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
LordTerminal said:
Everything you just said is a complete and utter lie. The only PCs where that is true are AlienWare PCs and those are expensive as fuck. Consoles are far more efficient and superior whether you want to admit it or not. PCs are not the same price as consoles. You have to buy the PC, a controller because god forbid you play anything on a keyboard, the right graphics card, the right sound card, a high end processor, ect. All of which cost at least $100 minimum.

And why should I ramp up all that power and make my energy bill that much more expensive when I can buy a more energy efficient console to get the same experience? And recent PC releases of games have been far more inferior to the console versions lately. Remember the whole Arkham Knight fiasco? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about so stop telling lies.
Alienware is overpriced crap. Forget about it completely. Consoles are crap in theor own right and they have NEVER been superior, altrough there was a time in the past when they were more efficient, but not for a decade or so anymore.

The PROPER way to play games is with a mouse and keyboard. controllers are for these who are incapable of playing them properly. If you want to buy a controller thats ON YOU. If you buy a PC you already have a grapthis card and a processor. Noone uses sound cards for gaming anymore. They are solely for audio developers nowadays. And yeah, a GPU and a CPU will cost you more than 100 dollars, compared to 500 for a console.

You mean weaker, not energy efficient. If you cannot spare 5 dollars on electricity to play games without bully laggy mess then you are just scamming yourself.

Yeah, Arkham knight was recalled and everyone refunded. Meanwhile the console games that are literally unplayable are still being sold.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LordTerminal said:
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about so stop telling lies.
Do you do kids parties? Because I am genuinely thinking of hiring you if you do.