Zero Punctuation: The World Ends With You

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
SimpleReally said:
As for the "you are stupid, let us help" factor, i think its more likely due to the fact that its a DS game intended for younger audiences.
Oh, no no NO. It is suited to a JAPANESE younger audience. The game is rated 12+ in Europe for language and violence. The language, I agree with. The violence... not so much. Though there are some rather adult situations.

DeLukas

May 7, 2008
So, just to add another meaningless log to the ever burning internet fire. It's an alright game, the review covered the issues I had with it, and I was happy to have an RPG that didn't have people on potion duty. I really liked the combat system, it makes the touch screen a core element rather then a party trick.

I want to say something like, "I hope some of the issues get addressed in the next game of this type." However, the bitter thing inside me that use to be my soul knows better. I can think of two reasons they won't be. First, this game is one of the best games for the DS, and for some reason being on the top of Mt. Shitty makes developers think they don't need to improve things. Second, "hardcore" jrpg fans (like my roomies) hate the improvements, and I'm guessing this experiment will be a one-of.

Parsec

May 28, 2008
I signed up just to make this defense post, although I'll try to keep the fanboyism down to a minimum.

First, a bit of background. I hate JRPGs. I would go so far as to say I dislike RPGs in general. I'm the type of person that believes they stopped making Final Fantasy games after VI, with the rest of that series existing only as an illusionary byproduct of a bad hangover. I balk at MMOs, which I like to think of as RPGs without a plot (or anything but grinding for that matter). So when I say I've put 60 hours into this game, I want you to understand it isn't out of blind devotion to a genre or fanatical loyalty to a company.

The story is interesting, if presented like you are reading a book. I personally didn't mind it, Yahtzee did. Different strokes, as the saying goes. There are decent plot twists involved, so it isn't like you know the ending before it happens. I found the characters to be likable; without giving too much away some scenes between your antisocial, disdainful protagonist and his know-it-all, asshat of a partner were worth some laughs. The writing holds up well, but it doesn't really shine until AFTER the game is over. That had me in stitches; it's a shame that level of comedy wasn't dispersed through the whole game.

I had no real problems with the combat, either. Are some pins useless? Yes, I'd say more then half. But there ARE 200+ of them, so you have a good variety to work with. The touch recognition is wonky at times, but I would switch out the pins I couldn't get the hang of using. (There is something to be said about making excuses for a game, but there you are.)

Once again, the difference between Yahtzee and myself is clear, as I adopted to the dual screen controls very quickly. The secret lies in the realization of your partner's abilities, i.e., they only do one damn thing no matter what you press. With this in mind, you are free to mash buttons (normally left or right on the d-pad, depending on direction) and focus your attention solely on the bottom, where actual concentration is required. That's one of my largest complaints: the top screen doesn't have ENOUGH action, although with the level of difficulty people seem to be having perhaps I'm just some kind of mutant who can focus each eye independently or something.

The soundtrack is killer. I mean seriously, I can't remember the last time I went and bought a game soundtrack. Mostly because I've NEVER done that. They overuse one or two songs, especially during cutscenes, but for the most part it's perfect. Easily the best sounding game on the DS.

All and all, it's the best I've played on the DS in a long time. It gets a shiny, gilded pedestal in my heart along side Mario Kart DS, where the two can have an eternal struggle for my love. Give it a try before you decide, as this is a game you need to play before you can pass judgment.

otterbeans

May 1, 2008
Parsec said:
The writing holds up well, but it doesn't really shine until AFTER the game is over. That had me in stitches; it's a shame that level of comedy wasn't dispersed through the whole game.
Dibs on rainbow.

TheDarkPrince

May 28, 2008
Ambition said:
TheDarkPrince said:
Ambition said:
I say "Meh".

Unless Escapist is handing him these games to review, he needs to just stop reviewing them and do something he's not already going to dislike in it's entirety - which leads to, in my opinion, a less than stellar job (go watch SimCities review to get what I mean.)

What we know about Yahtzee:

1.) He hates JRPGS
2.) He hates People.
3.) He hates JRPGS.

It's called a genre for a reason, and I haven't seen anything change in it since Chronotrigger (the last good one).

Yahtzee, next week, just pre-review every JRPG to come out in the next ten years and tell us it's really going to suck - you won't be telling us anything new, and ten years from now you can say 'I told you so'.
It's not called a genre though, the genre in this case would be RPG.

Saying it's a genre would be like saying "Action Movies By Steven Speilberg" is a genre (or quake maps for that matter if you're going to complain that there are enough JRPGs for it to be a legitimate genre, I guarantee there are more Quake maps than JRPGs out there).

I always love reading people telling Yahtzee what to do. He has pulled in however many million viewers and single handedly popularised this site, but he clearly needs advice from someone as knowledgeable and important as you.
He puts out a consumer product, I'm a consumer saying the product sucks - there is no more important feedback, fanboy.
So even though your feedback cannot be complied with unless yahtzee were to contradict many, many others feedback who are just as whiny and angry as you, you still believe it to be that important? You must be delusional to the point of insanity. Why I'd bet that if anyone disagrees with your one true opinion then you angrily paint them as some sort of raving fanboy. Your feedback is as meaningless (or meaningful) as anyone else who desperately begs him to review something or not review something, but yours was so pompous and self important that my supernatural mental prowess allowed me to deduce that you are, in fact, a ****.

But then, you probably already knew that I had hidden my criticism deep within a suggestion - cause your supernatural mental prowess clearly would miss nothing like that.
Why thank you! I DO have supernatural mental prowess!

Also, to characterize Oblivion and World of Warcraft as the same type of game would be folly.
I really think you should stay away from examples, you haven't quite got the hang of them yet.
Why would it be folly exactly to class WoW and Oblivion in the same category? They have an awful lot in common. Come now, with all your wit and importance, you don't even take the time to spell out your point for a poor witless fanboy like me? I feel hurt.

Just as you wouldn't put Billy Madison in the same area of the movie store as a Patton Oswalt stand-up.
See what I mean about examples? Stick with slagging people off, you're not very good at that either but it's harder to fuck up. I think you're trying to reinforce the idea that my statement is ridiculous by making an exaggeration. But one of these is a movie and one is a stand up routine so it's hyperbole at the very least. Since they're both shit, they would both go in the bargain bin. Then they'd be in the same part of the store!!!!

Each of those are a different genre. The word genre is as small or large as a person wants to make it - Yahtzee clearly makes a distinction between western and JRPGS, which is precisely what I'm commenting on.
And I'm saying that the field of JRPGs is too narrow to really be called a genre like in my original post. It was more of an open discussion point, and whether Yahtzee or anyone else calls it that, I still disagree.

Now please, go find some other internet fad to defend witlessly.
Man, if calling you a retard is defending an internet fad, a lot of people must defend internet fads every day!

And by that I mean that you get called a retard a lot.

Because you are one.

You're so much of a retard that I had to explain it so that you could understand.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
YoungZer0 said:
I really wonder what he would think about Persona 3 FES.
Yahtzee might like some of the SMT games, but he would not like Persona 3 FES, too much grind, turn based battles and it is VERY japanese. He might like Nocturne or DDS, but probably not Persona 3.

Portkins

May 27, 2008
Have a fair (belated) Birthday, Yahtzee!

Also, I sympathize, as JPRG games are uneventful rail games, but it can't be helped during the drought.

F5AllDay

Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks. I've been lurking for weeks, and this is my first post! I love all of Yahtzees vids and watch them again and again. Even when I don't agree with him (which is not often).

Anyway, hilarious review as always. I shall give JRPGs a wide berth. Unless I can find a free demo.

Anyway, is Haze out in Australia (not that it stops Yahtzee) Because I have it on good authority that it needs a sound thrashing ZP style.

PS Happy Birthday Dude.

Sgt. Gunlock

May 27, 2008
I love Yatzee he seem's like the only critic that has any Balls these day I didn't even mind when he Bashed SSBB

Parsec

May 28, 2008
otterbeans said:
Parsec said:
The writing holds up well, but it doesn't really shine until AFTER the game is over. That had me in stitches; it's a shame that level of comedy wasn't dispersed through the whole game.
Dibs on rainbow.
Exactly what I mean.

"No, no, no, I call pink." "(Great, now they are fighting over colors!)"
"His blue strikes me more of a...black and blue." "What do I look like, a bruise?"
"You're like a bruise on the tomato of my heart."

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
YoungZer0 said:
I really wonder what he would think about Persona 3 FES.
Yahtzee might like some of the SMT games, but he would not like Persona 3 FES, too much grind, turn based battles and it is VERY japanese. He might like Nocturne or DDS, but probably not Persona 3.
I think Persona 3 FES has many of the points that are missing in "The world ends with you" (Stupid name). Turn based combat is okay as long as it goes fast. As far as i know every SMT Game had turn based combat and DDS/Nocturne are damn hard. You played Persona 3 FES? Just curious.

twilight_dweller

Sep 22, 2007
Parsec said:
otterbeans said:
Parsec said:
Dibs on rainbow.
Exactly what I mean.

"His blue strikes me more of a...black and blue." "What do I look like, a bruise?"
"Shut up and walk dear."

Jedted

Mar 13, 2008
I've never really been that into JRPGs, it's the the gameplay allways seems a little boring to me. I also don't have much of a taste for the story in JRPGs and i prefer games like games like Kotor or Mass Effect for their robust storytelling.

I wish they would release Persona 3 for PC so i can see why that is so great(i don't wanna buy a PS2).

otterbeans

May 1, 2008
twilight_dweller said:
Parsec said:
otterbeans said:
Parsec said:
Dibs on rainbow.
Exactly what I mean.

"Shut up and walk dear."
"Must supress... Emo Urges..."