Zero Punctuation: Turok

Flaming-Gerbil

Mar 19, 2008
I'm normally just happy to watch the review and have my giggles but felt compelled to comment on the opinion of the health bar being superior to the new fangled idea which every game copies from halo etc etc. The main point about this being a good thing is that it means the death of the health kit. I for one hate these magical, trans-dimensional boxes of goodness which can heal the worst wounds in a flash whilst not causing any side effects due to the vast amounts of painkillers swimming through your blood.
We need a change from them not because of the fact that they seem outdated but because they help suck the fun from a game when you're reloading an area for the tenth time because you need to kill the next fifty nasty men whilst on your last sliver of hp in order to grab hold of another box of morphine and bandages.

Also on the subject of halo, it might not have a compelling storyline or characters which are actually likeable at all, it's also stuck uncomfortably far up its own arse (the Tv ads pre-Halo 3 were painful) but it still has very solid combat in comparison to a lot of the other FPS's out there at the moment.

Flaming-Gerbil

Mar 19, 2008
David Cat said:
Secondly, mouse control is admittedly faster, but that just causes CONSTANT overaiming. Also, the mouse-wheel-weapon-switching idea just makes selecting the weapon you want very tricky. The wheel scrolls through weapons ridiculously fast. But the real shittiness of mouse control comes with its association with the keyboard. The keyboard simply makes movement an overcomplication; why use four keys when one thumbstick is so much easier?
If you want to argue, then just email me at
It sounds like you personally aren't very good at PC FPS's rather then there being fundamental problems with it tbh..

Natural Hazard

Mar 5, 2008
i bought turok and it was entertaining for the 6 hrs it took to complete it, yes it was kind of generic in part, the story was a bit bland but it was a huge step up from Turok Evolution on the ps2. That being said i agree with most of what Yahtzee had to say, especially when he referred to aliens, would have been better if he pointed out the fact that Ron Perlman himself was actually an actor in Alien: Resurrection.

All in all entertaining review. :)

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
Funny, but sheesh, yet another first-person-shooter review. I already dislike those games, I want variety! =(

I was pleasantly suprised you reviewed Burnout Paradise [even though the game is lame], but now it's back to shooting things.

bleh

lxdavey

Mar 20, 2008
Yeh Hi as much as i love yahtzee's reviews I love carlton draught all the same but this bloody ad pop up for carlton draught appears on every yahtzee video i watch, and when i close the damn thing it appears on the left hand side as ad, and instead of lolling rediculously over the review i am sitting there raging over the ad icon

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Not a huge FPS guy myself. Though I would like a winged marshmellow. And it'd be cool if the health was shown in little figures with the body systems, and the part that had a problem was flashing or something. If you broke an arm, it's broken. If you have internal bleeding, that's what happens. And the damage affects your performance. Or would that be too real?

Iori Branford

Jan 4, 2008
Cavouku said:
Not a huge FPS guy myself. Though I would like a winged marshmellow. And it'd be cool if the health was shown in little figures with the body systems, and the part that had a problem was flashing or something. If you broke an arm, it's broken. If you have internal bleeding, that's what happens. And the damage affects your performance. Or would that be too real?
Deus Ex 1.
Red Orchestra.
SWAT 4.

Of course, there'd be more if their sales even touched the CSes and Halos.

SilentScope001

Dec 26, 2007
The only good console FPS I played was Oddsworld: Stranger's Wrath. You play as a bounty hunter going out catching outlaws, and you use little critters and animals as ammo for your crossbow. It was fun, it was paced very well, the plot twist was good, it has a health bar, and it takes place in the strange world of Oddsworld. Overall, I would recommend the game to anyone.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
David Cat said:
Secondly, mouse control is admittedly faster, but that just causes CONSTANT overaiming. Also, the mouse-wheel-weapon-switching idea just makes selecting the weapon you want very tricky. The wheel scrolls through weapons ridiculously fast. But the real shittiness of mouse control comes with its association with the keyboard. The keyboard simply makes movement an overcomplication; why use four keys when one thumbstick is so much easier?
You clearly have little experience with a mouse control. Since mouses generally feature a higher DPI and higher area of possible movement, it allows for a higher allowable margin of error. If you accidentally move your mouse a tenth of an inch to the left, no big deal. If you accidentally move your analog stick a tenth of an inch to the left, then it will become a big deal.

It is because of this reason that analog is actually MORE easy to overaim or underaim in most cases.

Secondly, most PC FPS use the numbers for weapon switching. Meaning, I can have 3-4 weapons and assign a single button to each one. You can't do that on a controller because usually you don't have enough buttons. PC FPS usually have a dedicated button (usually 'q' when you are using WASD) that switches between your current and previous weapon. I can really only think of one game where I would use my mouse wheel for weapons and that's UT.

I will agree with you that WASD is not quite as good as an analog stick. However, movement in FPS is generally insignificant in comparison to aiming. Besides, the eight directions you get from WASD is good enough along with the change in movement you get by changing your aim. Just take a look at this video from UT2k4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPeKaal9lFg

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
ctrees said:
But wait... Gordon Freeman wore powered armor...

*GASP*
It is called a Hazard Suit, it was made for hazardous materials and not for combat. Probably why the game had a health meter too!

But really after playing a demo of Turok I could tell I was not going to buy the game, at least full price. The constant knockback is annoying, and running for cover is very annoying and out of place. While I can understand regenerating life for games that encourage cover (see: Gears of War / COD series) a run and gun game like Turok feels out of place, like when I was low on life I basically kept running out of enemy line of sight until the health regenerated, which would be fine if I was some sort of Super Human Wolverine.

I hope they haven't removed the gun totting raptures, cause' that was the main sell point of the original for me.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
I remember Turok 2's multiplayer, man that was fun, and then the awful single player. Iv'e never played a game before that I just couldn't beat because of the lack of a run button.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
I also forgot to mention in my previous post that I totally agree with Yahtzee's position on the current state of FPS gaming.

1) Health regening is ok I guess, but having a health meter really keeps you on your toes and thinking. Now I understand that with the general shift in gaming moving towards keeping games "idiot-proof", removing the health meter makes sense and I suppose for single-player games having regening health is ok. However, KEEP THE REGENING HEALTH OUT OF MULTIPLAYER. **HINT HINT INFINITY WARD**

2) I kind of agree with the spash damage on grenades, but honestly, some games do this while some games can't seem to get this issue down.

3) Ripping off Aliens...yes, yes, and YES. I'm getting really freakin' tired of this whole "oh your a marine who has to defeat these evil alien monsters. oh look over there, there's that funny black guy that a sargent. oh look more completely terrible dialouge that looks like it was written by a fifth grader (Seriously Epic/Crytek, fire your writing crew)" It doesn't even have to strip away the killing of aliens, lets just drop the constant regurgitation of everything that was Aliens.

4) The putrid colors have got to go. This world isn't made of just greys and brown. That was one of the things that disappointed me the most about UT3 was the removal of a generally colorful environment that made up the previous UTs in substitution with the disgusting colors of Gears of War.

TF2 was such a breath of fresh air. Atmosphere that was colorful, unique, had a sense of humor, and didn't take itself seriously. We need more games like TF2.

I've been playing FPS games pretty much since the genre started and I'm really getting tired with a genre in which I absolutely used to love.

;tldr More games like Bioshock/TF2, less games like Halo and CoD4.