Ain't no homo gonna make it to heaven

Dec 14, 2009
Kashrlyyk said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Religion on its own, isn't a bad thing.
You are wrong it is a bad thing. Or are you now trying to tell me that people believing so strongly that they pray for their child while it is dying from Diabetes is not a problem of religion?

But then again, you never defined what you mean with "religion".
Like I said, religion on it's own isn't a bad thing.

Add humans to the mix and everything goes tits up.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Eh, it's disgusting, but not surprising. The next generation will look back on them like we look back on people who despised mixed-race relationships, who considered women second class citizens, who enslaved people because of the colour of their skin.

Their ignorance will die with them.

Bordersane

Aug 25, 2011
LOL thats hysterical. Really funny actually...all those people cheering....over something as insignificant as this.......these people must have depressing, boring lives.

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
> See title, click thread
> Why was that not in quotation marks?
> Attention whore central

Anyway, as for my view, let people do what they wish. If religion says gays go to hell, then shame, it's probably going to end up not being true anyway.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
I will just interject here that Scientists have never believed the world was flat (as I see it being mentioned a lot), in fact that was the dark age christians http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth.

OT: I just think it's funny that groups like the one we see in the video are the ones who despise groups such as the Taliban and Al Quaeda when they are essentiallly the same thing.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
If Hell is filled with gays, I'm sure they've loosened the Devil up a bit and turned it into a fabulous place. Might still be a little hot, though. And if any of those bigots DO make it into heaven, I hope they find that it's filled with wonderful gay people.

Seriously, though, this is why I've become disenfranchised with organized religion. Too many people justifying their bigotry with a book. I know not all are like that, but too many are for me to be comfortable, even though I do believe in an afterlife and a higher being. Though when I was church-going as a child, I was NEVER taught anything bad about other people. It was always love and be good to others and don't do bad things. A child shouldn't be exposed to such hate. It's horrible.

I hope this is coherent. I didn't sleep last night so my thoughts are all over the place.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
AstylahAthrys said:
If Hell is filled with gays, I'm sure they've loosened the Devil up a bit and turned it into a fabulous place. Might still be a little hot, though. And if any of those bigots DO make it into heaven, I hope they find that it's filled with wonderful gay people.

Seriously, though, this is why I've become disenfranchised with organized religion. Too many people justifying their bigotry with a book. I know not all are like that, but too many are for me to be comfortable, even though I do believe in an afterlife and a higher being. Though when I was church-going as a child, I was NEVER taught anything bad about other people. It was always love and be good to others and don't do bad things. A child shouldn't be exposed to such hate. It's horrible.

I hope this is coherent. I didn't sleep last night so my thoughts are all over the place.
It certainly was. Also, QFT

Really, this stuff is horrible, but at the same time, its hardly representative of all christian denominations everywhere, or religion in general. You'll only ever find this sort of thing in the US, and even then only among really evangelical sects. I reckon we should just treat them with the respect they deserve (i.e. ignore them and carry on), and move on to far more pressing matters.

In my case, it would be the alarming lack of salt and vinegar chips in my life right now!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Therumancer said:
the pro-gay movement isn't winning, and never really has been
So...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/01/defense-marriage-act-appears-to-be-headed-to-supreme-court-after-appeals-court/

The gays are just lying when they force Fox News to take a break from its "fair and balanced" reporting to mention that an appeals court has ruled DOMA Unconstitutional?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
Therumancer said:
So...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/01/defense-marriage-act-appears-to-be-headed-to-supreme-court-after-appeals-court/

The gays are just lying when they force Fox News to take a break from its "fair and balanced" reporting to mention that an appeals court has ruled DOMA Unconstitutional?
The thing your not getting is that when it comes to situations like this the law doesn't paticularly matter. You can't force people to accept or tolerate homosexuals, or any group for that matter, through legal legislation. What's more interperations on what's constitutional and not vary greatly, for example the founding fathers would disagree with this ruling and point to their own laws and policies as examples of exceptions that the constitutions did not apply to, with anti-gay laws being on the books.

All the current trends are really likely to do is ensure that backlash, when it happens, is going to be increasingly violent and outside of the system. You might not see that, or agree with it, but this isn't the kind of situation where it's going to piddle away like a lot of other civil liberties cases, largely because it actually is differant from them (again read what the other side has to say, you won't agree with it, but they are right about a number of things in this case, albiet all things the pro-gay side claims to have debunked or aren't true with equal ferver to the anti-gay side's nonsense which fuels the conflict and presents any kind of middle ground resolution).

Over all, I think you'll see that time will tell, and you'll see very little in the way of lasting change due to such policies. What's more as the content of the goverment changes you'll probably see rulings changed, modified, or undermined through precedent and new rulings, including those of The Supreme Court.

That said, I'm done argueing the point since I'm not really trying to make an anti-gay arguement, just pointing out the reasons for backlash, and the polarization that exists. Both sides tout various things as victories, court/supreme court rulings are good ones, but at the same time if you ever bother to listen to the other side you'll notice they claim their fair share of victories on their own. The conflict continues and the lines are still drawn 50-50 with a few percentage points either way at any given time, as much as you might try and convince yourself otherwise, the only way to claim victory is to actually erode those numbers, and substantially.

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
Res Plus said:
It always amazes me how religion retrenches with each body blow. The world is flat, oh some Italian chap has proved it round, oh right, well that was a metaphor.

The world is 5000 years old, oh some English Victorian geologist has proved it's over 4 billion years old, oh right, well that was a metaphor.
Metaphorical interpretations of the creation story in Genesis have existed for, at the very least, 1900 years. Saint Augustine is an obvious example, or Maimonides (though he was a literalist, he said he'd have no problem changing his mind if anyone was able to convince him of the Aristotelian view that the universe was eternal). Both of those are, by the way, essential figures in their respective faiths.

You're also bizarrely equating the word "religion" with "Christianity".

Religion is pure "belief", atheism is based on scientific enquiry.
It doesn't mean anything except "a lack of belief in deities". There are religious atheists, in fact.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Therumancer said:
So...

Well, that's a win for America, not just the gays. ;)

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
The thing I've never understood is why they'd use this "gays don't go to heaven" thing as an excuse for harassment of gays, (this also applies to atheism).

Fine, they don't get to go to heaven. No need to harass them for it, I mean, isn't their punishment awaiting them anyway?

(For the record I don't believe the Jewish law condemns homosexuality anyway. There are enough contradictions in today's Christian culture and the old testament that any Christian who is going to take the old testament seriously has to do away with)

Also, for the record I'm not really a Christian per se, but had a real Christian upbringing.