Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm going to say something controversial, I think this game is actually pretty good.

I say this with one caveat, I didn't actually pay any money for this game. I saw the mess happening a couple of years ago and had a good laugh at it and decided to pick up the game when it was dirt cheap to have a good look at the mess itself. Then, my brother got in touch with me telling me he had got it me for Christmas. Thankfully he'd had the good sense to get me FF7 Remake too so I didn't disown him on the spot.

I put it on my PS4 after the first big patch and yeah, it wasn't great. I am still of the opinion that it should have never been released on the last gen consoles and should have spent a couple more years in production. So I stopped playing after a little while.

Skip forward to last year and out of curiosity, I put it on again and I'll say this. Patched to Hell and back and running on a PS5, this game is actually good. It plays more like a looter shooter like Borderlands with the constant swapping out of gear. The game now is a lot more stable and doesn't just crash for no reason. There are still bugs and I don't think you will ever get rid of those. But its stuff that we used to laugh at Bethesda games for, stuff like a corpse stuck frozen in a death animation. People clipping through scenery or maybe a car over reacting when you fire in its general direction and it flipping through the air because someone was stood behind it. Driving still sucks arse if you are driving a car, but riding a motorcycle is alright. Using a pistol is actually worth the effort now. Night City actually feels a lot more active with people wandering around the streets. Its not perfect but at least I'm not seeing clones of the same person stumbling down the street one after the other.

The story is there, its not great but its not awful. There was a really nice, quite touching scene in a futuristic brothel with a futuristic prostitute that actually surprised me before the murder continued. And I enjoyed the missions with Panama too. Also, using the Mantis blades and storming into an enemy camp with the regenerating health mod on and just slashing through the enemy is great fun.

I understand why people are upset about this game, if I'd spent money on it, I would be too. And I understand if you don't want to play the game for moral reasons. But it is worth your effort if you are curious.
You pretty much hit the nail in the head on why I'll never get this game. Even when I eventually get a ps5. The fact of the game is still buggy on a high-powered console leaves me with no desire to touch it. Not even if I was given the game for free. I have been beyond sick and tired of high budget "AAA" games being buggy and broken at launch. How about you greedy screw heads give your people time and release a game that's not completely broken at the street date? Only a few of your big ones even bother to try anymore. Nintendo isn't even safe from this as we've seen with the latest Pokemon game. Yet they still made loads of money and at least half a fandom was making excuses for the game's still buggy state. They just have the younger kids they don't know any better, or don't know how bad the newest iteration actually is in comparison to the quality games from the past

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm going to say something controversial, I think this game is actually pretty good.

I say this with one caveat, I didn't actually pay any money for this game. I saw the mess happening a couple of years ago and had a good laugh at it and decided to pick up the game when it was dirt cheap to have a good look at the mess itself. Then, my brother got in touch with me telling me he had got it me for Christmas. Thankfully he'd had the good sense to get me FF7 Remake too so I didn't disown him on the spot.

I put it on my PS4 after the first big patch and yeah, it wasn't great. I am still of the opinion that it should have never been released on the last gen consoles and should have spent a couple more years in production. So I stopped playing after a little while.

Skip forward to last year and out of curiosity, I put it on again and I'll say this. Patched to Hell and back and running on a PS5, this game is actually good. It plays more like a looter shooter like Borderlands with the constant swapping out of gear. The game now is a lot more stable and doesn't just crash for no reason. There are still bugs and I don't think you will ever get rid of those. But its stuff that we used to laugh at Bethesda games for, stuff like a corpse stuck frozen in a death animation. People clipping through scenery or maybe a car over reacting when you fire in its general direction and it flipping through the air because someone was stood behind it. Driving still sucks arse if you are driving a car, but riding a motorcycle is alright. Using a pistol is actually worth the effort now. Night City actually feels a lot more active with people wandering around the streets. Its not perfect but at least I'm not seeing clones of the same person stumbling down the street one after the other.

The story is there, its not great but its not awful. There was a really nice, quite touching scene in a futuristic brothel with a futuristic prostitute that actually surprised me before the murder continued. And I enjoyed the missions with Panama too. Also, using the Mantis blades and storming into an enemy camp with the regenerating health mod on and just slashing through the enemy is great fun.

I understand why people are upset about this game, if I'd spent money on it, I would be too. And I understand if you don't want to play the game for moral reasons. But it is worth your effort if you are curious.
It really is a good game, I think it's about expectation. I still don't understand why people think witcher 3 is the greatest game of all time, but as someone who though it was just meh I went into CP2077 with very low expectation (and a few months after release) and thought it was super fun and spend something 140 hours on a single playtrough.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
really is a good game, I think it's about expectation. I still don't understand why people think witcher 3 is the greatest game of all time,
The same reason why you have certain people consider Red Dead Redemption 2, GTAV, or RE4 the "greatest games of all time!". The marketing sends them into a frenzy or these people set a frenzy into themselves and expect the sun, the moon, the Earth, or the entire universe. Shocker of shocks, neither of these games are the greatest games of all time. I will give Resident Evil 4 credit for popularizing over the shoulder, even though it didn't invent it. Otherwise, no. All these greatest of all time statements are just people getting high off of their own farts.

Last edited:

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
It really is a good game, I think it's about expectation. I still don't understand why people think witcher 3 is the greatest game of all time, but as someone who though it was just meh I went into CP2077 with very low expectation (and a few months after release) and thought it was super fun and spend something 140 hours on a single playtrough.
Now you see, I had very low expectations for it even before the launch shitshow, so when I bought it for half price on PC a year after release and put a bunch of mods in before playing I found it to be perfectly acceptable. Not great but certainly entertaining enough, and being used to playing low budget 40K games just for the IP, playing a high budget CP game just for the IP wasn't a problem.
Unfortunately the 1.5 update broke the rebalance mod and it's not been updated, and the level scaling etc without it irks me so much I refuse to play without it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also Parasite Eve had 3 games featuring Aya Brea as the main character on the Ps1 and PSP.
For the record, in the 3rd Birthday, that is not Aya. It's her body, but it's Eve (not the same one from the first game, but a different one from 2) possessing her. Aya was actually already dead before the game even started. Eve jumped into her body in a desperate attempt to save her, but it didn't work. There is a reason why this game is considered non-canon by the majority of fans.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Took 3 years. Hope it was worth it.
Tough lesson. Maybe for their next they’ll have the guts to tell their shareholder-pleasing board to go fuck themselves and let them finish a game. Oh, and don’t fall for celebrities to help boost its success. There’s a good reason Rockstar stopped using them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Absent and BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Tough lesson. Maybe for their next they’ll have the guts to tell their shareholder-pleasing board to go fuck themselves and let them finish a game. Oh, and don’t fall for celebrities to help boost its success. There’s a good reason Rockstar stopped using them.
As far as I can see the only lesson here is to invoke a variation on the engineering adage that your actual maximum weight supported is twice what you put on paper. So if the game took 7 years (4 formal development and 3 post-release support) to be made what it seems people agree was the release state, next time they'll say the game will take 8 years instead of 4.

And using a celebrity for Johnny Silverhand makes sense on a couple of levels. And Reeves is the only celebrity I recall being in the game anyway and its not like he was a bait and switch: two thirds of the game are spent with Johnny so its not like they and we didn't get our money's worth.

hanselthecaretaker2

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
As far as I can see the only lesson here is to invoke a variation on the engineering adage that your actual maximum weight supported is twice what you put on paper. So if the game took 7 years (4 formal development and 3 post-release support) to be made what it seems people agree was the release state, next time they'll say the game will take 8 years instead of 4.

And using a celebrity for Johnny Silverhand makes sense on a couple of levels. And Reeves is the only celebrity I recall being in the game anyway and its not like he was a bait and switch: two thirds of the game are spent with Johnny so its not like they and we didn't get our money's worth.
So that would actually support the rumors that his character’s presence was a lot more than what they originally planned for. Regardless of the impact it had on the state at release, it sure helped ring a few warning bells, because it happened around the time people noticed a bit of a bait & switch on the game’s quality level.

Also just for lol’s -

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So that would actually support the rumors that his character’s presence was a lot more than what they originally planned for. Regardless of the impact it had on the state at release, it sure helped ring a few warning bells, because it happened around the time people noticed a bit of a bait & switch on the game’s quality level.

Also just for lol’s -
Yeah, so this circles back to the launch fuck up of Cyberpunk 2077 having nothing to do with its shareholders and everything to do with the development team lying and fucking up and lying again to cover up those lies and fuck ups.

That and the game went through a few revisions over time. First piece of footage in-engine we saw gave the impression we were able to be a member of Max-Tac and that sure as shit didn't eventuate.

hanselthecaretaker2

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Yeah, so this circles back to the launch fuck up of Cyberpunk 2077 having nothing to do with its shareholders and everything to do with the development team lying and fucking up and lying again to cover up those lies and fuck ups.

That and the game went through a few revisions over time. First piece of footage in-engine we saw gave the impression we were able to be a member of Max-Tac and that sure as shit didn't eventuate.
I never followed the whole backstory beyond news blips, but I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if the shitshow launch was ultimately chalked up to developer incompetence as much if not more-so than investor pressure to release before the holidays. Basically a perfect storm of bs. Thinking of how long the game was in development and the changes made along the way for the worse, CDPR likely became a victim of their own ambition when it stretched beyond their level of talent and management.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I never followed the whole backstory beyond news blips, but I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if the shitshow launch was ultimately chalked up to developer incompetence as much if not more-so than investor pressure to release before the holidays. Basically a perfect storm of bs. Thinking of how long the game was in development and the changes made along the way for the worse, CDPR likely became a victim of their own ambition when it stretched beyond their level of talent and management.
As far as I'm concerned, they all screwed up. Everyone involved.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So since I got a ps5 I was able to revisit this game, I had stopped at the start of act 2 on ps4 back when the game had just come out since the world opening up really showed the poor performance and I just didn't wanna bother any longer. I kept hearing about it getting tons of huge updates too. So I kept pushing it back and back but now I felt is a good time cause they're putting out some big dlc soon.

So far, I actually am enjoying the same bits I did back then, I like the worldbuilding and characters and setting, all really in-depth and unique. The gameplay is a lot smoother and runs at 60fps and it all looks really nice too but it's more quality of life stuff and the main core bit of the game that is good I feel was always there. It may be more improved for gunplay focused players but I'm all for being a cyber ninja with my Katana here and that doesn't take much aiming.

Though for some reason there's no random dildos on the floor everywhere. I wonder why they took em out. Was always hilarious seeing em all over the place.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So since I got a ps5 I was able to revisit this game, I had stopped at the start of act 2 on ps4 back when the game had just come out since the world opening up really showed the poor performance and I just didn't wanna bother any longer. I kept hearing about it getting tons of huge updates too. So I kept pushing it back and back but now I felt is a good time cause they're putting out some big dlc soon.

So far, I actually am enjoying the same bits I did back then, I like the worldbuilding and characters and setting, all really in-depth and unique. The gameplay is a lot smoother and runs at 60fps and it all looks really nice too but it's more quality of life stuff and the main core bit of the game that is good I feel was always there. It may be more improved for gunplay focused players but I'm all for being a cyber ninja with my Katana here and that doesn't take much aiming.

Though for some reason there's no random dildos on the floor everywhere. I wonder why they took em out. Was always hilarious seeing em all over the place.
FYI the game is getting a major patch in September and they're going to redo a lot of the base gameplay and modify some of the city, I don't know how those change will work with older save.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
FYI the game is getting a major patch in September and they're going to redo a lot of the base gameplay and modify some of the city, I don't know how those change will work with older save.
Sounds interesting, always nice having some more stuff to look forward to.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

So a collector's edition for an expansion. Has this ever happened before in the gaming industry? Genuine Question.