Duke Nukem Forever

Hunter.Wolf

Jan 13, 2010
Since half the article is about cover-based shooters i think Yahtzee really needs to play "Vanquish" demo and review the game when it comes out .. it really takes a whole new spin on the "cover shooting" thing ... Vanquish will probably make all other cover-based shooters feel 100 times worse/slower.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Must resist! Must not give in!
Even The Escapist is losing it!
DUKE ISN'T COMING OUT, EVER!!!
Oh, the lies the LIES!!!!
Stop giving me false hope.
I just don't want to get my feelings hurt, AGAIN! *starts crying*
I can't believe I'm the only sane person left here. I mean this hype is just so contagious. And the trailers have such catchy music *listens again at the music from the trailer*... Nice *drools*... Must...resist...Mustn't...give...

Ok I can't wait for the BEST GAVE EVER to come out now.
Now it's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum!*enters hypnotic trance*

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I have not enjoyed a modern shooter near as much as Doom 2. Halo and CoD not as good as a pixal art shooter from the early 90's (take that burnsauce fanboys). Why? Pure fun. Blasting away at a large horde of monsters with a gun the size of a Harley-Davidson, all while dodging fireballs and rockets is much more fun that runnning from box to box and shooting for a few seconds before having to hide so that your health will come back to you. Plus it is hard without being cheap, something CoD needs to learn how to do.

Hopefully the Duke brings fun back.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So far, the only part on the "Mandatory Halo Game Mechanic Checklist" that's probable is the Two Gun limit; though I expect regenerating health to possibly make an appearance.

In any case, it's beyond stupid that a game can sit on its ass for 12 years doing nothing, but still possibly turn a profit.
What the hell does that say about the industry?

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Bulletstorm looks like it fits the fun shooter bill. It rewards you for running about kicking people in the balls rather than taking cover, I can't wait for it. I expect it to be better than Duke Nukem Forever, though nostalgia demands I buy that too.

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
Personally for me, one of the most fun games I've ever played on console is the Ratchet and Clank series. Having mostly rid myself of the console market a while back, I've only played 1 through 3, but all of them were really good, to the point where I blew the dust off my PS2 and started playing it again recently. The story is mediocre but even the developers knew that, you can tell with how the game is portrayed and the story is told. All the way through it is light hearted humour while visually it's bright and colourfull and the weapons tend to be huge, sometimes overcompensatory on our little Lombax, with masive graphical effects. Since then I've not really played any console game that good tbh.

So yeah, go back to colour and big guns and fun and stuff. (Also, why was DUke Nukem Forever voted the besterest? It really wasn't, although admittedly I don't have a favourite, there's been some awesome ZP's like the Orange Box and Wii Sports Resort.)

EvilYoshi

Aug 9, 2010
My expectations for Duke Nukem Forever are the following:

1. Duke Nukem will not run at blazing speeds but will have two different movement speeds, one quick the other slower for precise maneuvers.

2. Duke will have insanely large/powerful weapons the most exotic of which he will rip off of bosses. The main story arch should be about getting the biggest and most powerful gun. NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT PLEASE!

3. There will have to be nudity and/or some kind of 'babe' trophy collection system.

4. The game must be really hard, almost masocore on normal setting where around twenty projectiles should be hurdling Duke's way at any given second. Seriously, the game will have a few key/door based puzzles a little platforming and a shit-load of shit trying to kill you.

5. This game must be linear with no open world and no vehicle sections.

6. Weapons should have an alternative firing mode. Please no rpg elements where you have to level up stats because that is boring.

7. There must be a zero-gravity or possibly underwater level that is really-hard compared to the rest of the game.

8. This game must have health-packs and no aim-down-the-sight feature.

9. Again, the game must be an ass-kicker where most of the action revolves around the massacre of thirty or so enemies that are firing different flavors of projectiles at you. This should look like a 3D version of those crazy Japanese side-scrollers where the entire display is alight with ridiculous amounts of ballistics all whizzing around. The climax of the action should be literally an entire death field of slow-moving fire-balls that Duke must navigate through while returning fire. The last few bosses must be veritable 'marathon runs' between you and the boss monster where the only way to win is to outlast the enemy. So, yeah, --- a lot like Contra.

10. The game will be mission-based and as a mode where Duke must defeat all his enemies with his BEAR HANDS --- or possibly a baseball bat.

That is all.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Hmm...this is something to think about. On one hand, I feel like hiding behind a barely concealing and constantly decaying object as bullets go whizzing by your head provides a great sense of tension and anxiety. I also feel that the realism of shooting games is one of the things that makes them so popular and immersive. On the other hand, an arcade style shooter that has you constantly weaving in between incoming projectiles Space Invaders style while firing shots of your own seems like an incredibly fast paced and fun concept- especially in multiplayer. In the end, I think it comes down to what your looking for in a game. One is a test of strategy and patience, while the other is more a test of reaction time and precision controlling.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Why is this Duke Nukem Forever being treated as the same game started 12 years ago? I just assumed it would be a new Duke Nukem game with the old title.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
DNF wouldn't be worth the wait if it was hand-delivered by a group of supermodels who are then contractually obligated to have sex with you. That said, seeing a reference to a classic quantum physics gedankenexperiment made me squee a little.

Rogthgar

Aug 18, 2008
While I am still hoping, in vain :(, for the SC2 review. I am happy to know that i share fav vids with Yatzee :)

Now stop reviewing shooters and platformer for a few weeks, challenge yourself!

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
haha I'd forgotten all about the Wolfenstein review! That was a great re-visit! I give that review from 2 years ago 5-stars!

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
poiumty said:
Duke Nukem is like when you've eaten hamburgers for 2 months, then go home and have to eat homecooked meals for another 2 months. By the time those last 2 months are over, you'll be rooting for another juicy burger.

Can't see it as the next Serious Sam though. Actually, can't see it as anything. At least it'll be fun, in a tongue-in-cheek kinda way.
You just made me VERY hungry...

I can't imagine it as serious same either, but from the footage shown so far (check game trailers) I thinkl Yaztee will be pleased. All the original guns, new car, and I dind't see any cover based combat

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Having only been in the gaming scene proper since roughly the 2007 or so, I've never known DNF as anything other than a nonexistent sequel to an old, old game nobody talks about anymore. So aside from the drama that's been going on, this may as well just be any old game set to come out next year. I probably won't get it, just like I don't get any game that isn't critically acclaimed and relevant to my interests.

Also it's good to know I'm not the only one who was disturbed Wolfenstein didn't do better in the contest.