Duke Nukem Forever

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Worgen said:
Im hoping its good since I really did enjoy the original duke 3d but Im fully expecting it to be bad... well maybe not bad but just have a shitty pc release since 2k games has lately fucked something up with every pc game its put out
What was fucked up about 2k's release of Oblivion? I thought the PC version was the best, myself. Well, expect for the one bonus that the PS3 version had. Bows don't lose durability just by firing an arrow. And even then, there's a mod for that.
I was wondering what 2k had to do with oblivion since its a bethesda game, but if 2k released that for the pc then it was the last one they did that didnt have some weird problem with it or a shitty port issue

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
A fun read, I'm not a twitch shooter and my accuracy sucks (which explains my lack of skill at FPS's) so honestly I probably won't ever play DNF. I like cover based systems because I can make up for my lack of skill with... well nothing but it seems like there is less of a focus on it at least.
Could we be seeing the new spiderman game tomorrow?

eniac0

Aug 3, 2010
i have to admit, ive never been a big fan of yatzhee's reviews, and in a way, ive also been compelled to watch them time after time. your humor has always felt oversized and displaced at times.

but...this time, i think this time you really nailed it, or perhaps is it because ive had the same epiphany you did: old shooters needs to be back because the new ones really are getting saturated in originality.

i really liked duke back in the days, i was young and still had the hope the change the world. Duke was the cool game. after, i just forgot about it, never really understood why the name was still in the news after so many vapor alarms.

then when it was learned that DNF (which also means Did Not Finish ironically or strategically?) would finally come to light i thought that the concept will be so outdated and expectations so high that it could do nothing but fail, the same way Doom 4 failed.

but yeah, you got it Yathzee, i think if they do it right, it could bring the old shooters era back, were simpler was better.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
It would have been pretty ironic if the game wasn't finished, seeing as it has the initials DNF, which in many cases refer to "Did Not Finish"

EDIT: Bah, the guy above said the same thing.

Anyway, I'm looking forwards to Yatzee's Duke Nukem Forever (The real one) review.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
"and, personally, I'm disappointed Wolfenstein didn't make it out the starting gates"

As was I, but going up against your Saints Row 2 review, it was facing one hell of an opponent.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I agree a 100%. Now that Duke Nukem Forever will actually be released, im just hoping it will be a huge succes. Because maybe then developers will realise that most people are getting sick of playing the same gritty, realistic, military shooters over and over again.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
FallenMessiah88 said:
I agree a 100%. Now that Duke Nukem Forever will actually be released, im just hoping it will be a huge succes. Because maybe then developers will realise that most people are getting sick of playing the same gritty, realistic, military shooters over and over again.
Or publisher's start thinking that making sequels to old popular titles is a good idea to make money

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Generic_Dave said:
WOW! OPTIMISM FROM Yahtzee! Will wonders never cease. I have to say, I do miss the "I'm a HARD-ASS and you're all DEAD!" run-in's from the old days...the last game I remember having that kind of sensibility that I played was Haze, I know it was panned and killed off Free Radical Games, and the first time I played it I hated it.

But I went back, and was able to appreciate the satire, blunt and hardly intelligent satire, but there nonetheless of the arrogant "Mantel" soldiers, with their "HOO-RAAAAAAAAAAH!"'s and talk about the cannibal enemies. The ability to take anyone to school and the slightly disturbing moments when the invisible dead bodies intrude.

But what was really fun was, that while not an easy game, it never forced you to stop. You could go through shooting, no cover, no dodge, and if you were quick and shooty enough you "Kicked ass and chewed Bubblegum!".

I too look forward to a lower emphasis on "realistic" brown and grey shooters with broody leads and sadistic tendencies. I mean who doesn't prefer Vice City's garish campness to GTA IV's brown and grey (though beautiful and incredibly well realised and playable) scenery. I know which one I had more fun playing anyway. Bring back the less realistic! HUZZAH FOR NOT TAKING YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY!
That argument with your username is probably one of the best examples of irony.

And I agree.

TheSalemParadox

Apr 7, 2010
I think it should be mentioned, as far as cover-based shooting, one of Yahtzee's most respected online personalites, Noah Antwiler (spoonyexperiment.com) played the preview at PAX, and mentioned that when the game picks up where the last one left off, the "same dumb tactic of circle strafing" beat the boss he played against.

Score one for old school run and gun.

Also, wow. Yahtzee sounded downright hopeful. This is a red letter day, truly.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
I have to say I was equally disappointed that the Wolfenstein review didn't win, it was freaking brilliant. Anyway, I don't know if I'll have anything to do with DNF considering I've never played any of the other Duke Nukem games, but I'll wait until the reviews are in and give it a shot if I'm told it's any good. Also, I do have to take issue with one thing in this article - the part where he said that no game that's changed hands has ever been good. Fallout 3, while not directly connected to the Fallout 3 that Black Isle Studios was working on, obviously had a lot of respect for the series' previous entries and ended up being a great experience, even by Yahtzee's own admission.

Godfather912

Aug 24, 2010
Yahtzee...Thank you for this. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear from you. This really could be one of those games that pulls us out of the dirty, grimy, serious shooters of shit and into the barrel of explosive, fast paced fun! And who knows? So many of your fans follow your line of thinking (some at a frightening large amount) and might start feeling the same.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Tales of Monkey Island had my vote. but I couldn't really make a choice between all the funny ones, so I picked one of the funniest at random and this one came out.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Rather ironic that this article gets released on the same day I volunteer to write up a DN:F timeline for my school newspaper.
On topic though I agree that at this point the game would have to descend from the heavens and signify the second coming of Jesus to do anything to impress at this point.

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
I must say tha Yahatzee really hate the health regen of the next gen games. But I wonder if he have tried "The Getaway" the game that featured realistic gameplay and a innovative way to regen some health.

Once you get shot, you never regenerate all your health, but, to regenerate some of the health you need to be out of combat. And lean into a wall for a couple of seconds, and then you get some of you health back, but then you still can take too many shots and die. More games should have these kind of game mechanics.

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
I never actually played Duke Nukem, in any form. So I already have a clean slate, and the only thing it has to beat is modern shooters. Which shouldn't be hard in my opinion, as long as the apparently characteristic satiracal humor is injected. Not enough funny games nowadays.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Duke Nukem Forever

After 12 years of development, you've got a lot to prove, Duke Nukem Forever.

Read Full Article
First off, I voted for Wolfenstein and I was disappointed it didn't get far either, Yahtzee. But I expected something like Painkiller or Duke Nukem to take the prize in the end. So after that, nothing really surprised me too much.

But I agree that so many shooters feel the same. But what about... say... the Left 4 Dead series (is it really a series with only 2 games to its name)? Wouldn't you consider those to be rather fun FPS games that are going around along with Painkiller and Serious Sam? Also, the developer's of Painkiller are in the midst of making Bulletstorm and the trailers for it look like something on par with Painkiller, or damn close. I'm just saying, you're right most FPS games anymore feel the same and aren't all that impressive or anything, but there is still a good handful of titles out there worthwhile in the FPS genre.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
As I understand it they took so long to make Duke Nukem because every time a new game came out and did something they had to have it too. This suggests to me that all the new cover combat, gray and brown color palettes, and so on, will be in the game.

Can't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
Erana said:
Well, I'm glad you're approaching this with a clean slate- that's the only way I can really imagine anyone enjoying this, save some crazed fanboys. Still, your crazed fanboys probably aren't going to like that...
Still, no matter what they do to it, I suspect it will be a bit anticlimactic, and they're going to go with current gameplay "conventions" rather than what the game was all about in the 90's. Because people seem to misconstrude Duke Nukem being about Duke as a character, rather than the over-the-top gameplay.
Also, no one seems to realize that Duke isn't necessarily so misogynistic. Yeah, he'll accept the attention of classless, promiscuous young females, but he's also a big fan/friend of Oprah Winfrey. He's gotta be doing something right.
You clearly haven't watched a single gameplay video, read a single article about the game or indeed a single interview with these fucking people.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't think I've ever seen a game with a long wait time that was worth it. Or a movie. Or a CD. Well, I'm fond of Boston's "Walk On," but that wasn't promised for a decade, unlike some albums *coughchinesedemocracy*

Cover mechanics are something I actually like, but I can completely understand the boredom with them. On the one hand, I like interacting with cover. On the other, I hate it when any mechanic becomes basically a necessity within a genre. This idea that games are basically one big game of "follow the leader" is annoying. I've never liked FPS, an I like staring at a wall in one even less, but it's not following the waist-high wall model.

I'd also like to not be FORCED to enter cover. I have trouble believing most devs think of this as an either/or deal.