E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
RatRace123 said:
As much as I love Nintendo, no one's gonna call them creative with names.
Well, depends on who you compare them to really. If you compare Nintendo's consola name to Sony's console names they are much more creative.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
One would think that after all this time that Nintendo would at least be able to come up with a better name.

Now, onto the actual controller: I will admit that being able to still play a game while someone else watches something (or even play another console) is certainly an impressive and useful thing, although how useful this actual is all depends on whether or not there will be good games, after all the feature only really holds appeal if the games coming out warrent still being played while others do something.

The motion control and touchpad stuff on this though looks somewhat cumbersome. Perhaps its just me, but for some reason this is giving me Wii flashbacks where the stuff at E3 looked fine but the actual implementation wasn't once it was shipped out. Using it for baseball looks odd, and frankly it seems like a step down from the Wii Mote in those regards, because at least you could both pitch and swing with that; I have a hard time seeing how swinging would work on that controller. Attaching it to the zapper seems interesting and asuming it doesn't affect the weight too much it could be useful, but like the switching ability this all really depends on the games coming out. And Link's inventory thing: could work, but I hope that using it for inventory isn't the only thing this controller can do, although knowing Nintendo the interesting things this controller can do will be done for 1st party titles while 3rd parties will probably just use the bare bones use of it (if the use it at all)

The other features this certainly rings "Apple" in terms of what Nintendo may be using this as to counter against. It almost makes me wonder if Nintendo wishes to simply leave behind Microsoft and Sony to themselves and to simply go against Apple, because this along with their corporate image of the past few years certainly suggests that.

Although, one irrifuitable problem with this thing is price, since while I didn't stick around to see the price, I'd imagine that this will perhaps be one of the most expensive consoles around, not because of the console tech but because of the controller's tech. Having to buy 3 other controllers (assuming its a one controller per console thing) sounds incredibly expensive. Assuming these controllers are between 200-300 dollars each, thats at least another 600-900 for a possible 400-500 payment on the console and controller. This is probably going to be at least a thousand dollar investment or more, and thats not including games and possible replacement of controllers. Since when did Nintendo become the new Sony? Actually scrtch that, the high price is probably in fact another sign that Nintendo wishes to challenge Apple.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Truth be told, I'm not hating on Nintendo's new system. I actually like it. I'm not sold to it yet because we haven't seen any first party games for that thing yet. Ony third party games that we already have and will receive on PS3 and 360. I was surprised when I saw that, but how will they work on the Wii? Maybe I missed something when they were talking about it.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
It's looking good to me. The only thing I have left to question is how the controller actually feels in your hands when playing such games they teased like Assassin's Creed or Batman: Arkham City.

Nov 7, 2009
It looks like someone put two controllers and an iPhone into a blender.

...I made that sound too awesome.

But seriously, how the crap am I meant to concentrate with "6.2-inch touch screen, dual analog circle pads, motion controls, speakers, a microphone, a gyroscope and an inward facing camera"? I mean, a fucking gyroscope?

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
As long as it's backwards compatible, sounds fine with me. My questions is, does it upscale Wii games at all? That would be pretty badass.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
It looked neat. But I am going to say I was not impressed, YAY SUPER RESTRICTED HANDHELD! I think it's silly. I also think that the PS Vita is going to do close to the same thing... and I think that developers may love it but they are going to be unable to do what they were showing.

So far I am actually a bit unimpressed just because we've seen almost all of this already five years ago... the controller looks neat but puts me off cause it's going to be REALLY EXPENSIVE!!!!

G Skunk

Apr 19, 2010
Time until unveiling of Sony Playstation U or Microsoft XBox U: T-minus...

And yeah, don't say Sony and Microsoft have "too much sense" not to do it, fanboys, not after Kinekt and Move.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
I think I'm going to judge and jump to conclusions before seeing more information about it.

Grond Strong

Mar 16, 2011
So, is the core the same? Still same graphics, software, and all? I thought that Nintendo might be putting out something a tad more powerful. You know, some people love the Wii and that's chill. But I could never get a great amount of entertainment watching a bobble-head that was supposed to be me whacking a glitchy tennis ball over a net. All well, it's whatevs. Enjoy it all you Nintendo junkies! :D

HydraMoon

From high atop the treehouse
May 3, 2011
Selvec said:
Ahem.

Please bring you attention to this screen.
This. We have now been crying out 'weeooo' for the past hour.

OT- It's an interesting system, glad to see the HD and the idea of continuing to play while someone else uses the tv. I'm waiting to hear about price and to test out a few games on it. I have good hopes that devs will make this system rock.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
First: Horrible name, would have preferred Wii2 or Super Wii or anything thing other then WiiU.

Second: How the hell much will that controller thing cost on its own? because I could see it selling for over $120 USD at launch which means the WiiU will probably $499.

Third: HOLY SHIT what was the Zelda clip they showed? stylistically it looked nothing like what we've seen from Skyward Sword so is this a yet announced Zelda game or another Spaceworld 2000 situation?

Forth: I better be able to transfer my Vcon games over to it.

Fifth: Yes I'm going it get it, I'm just not happy about it.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Wolf Devastator said:
Please Nintendo, I abandoned you years ago, don't make me come back!

OT: Guess I'll wait and see. It really could be awesome. I don't know if the Grannys who play the Wii right now would enjoy eye strain while playing with that controller, but hey, just have to wait.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
So Nintendo is trying to combine the DS with a normal console?

I think the biggest question is how much will the individual controllers cost? For a system that you'll want 4 controllers, I would hope its not too ridiculously priced.

Also, is the back flat or is it more controller-shaped and comfy? It really doesn't look too comfortable considering the size.

And a touch screen? Really? I don't think games would be improved any by having a second screen to look at. I suppose moving from motion control to controller touch screen is a step in the less-useless direction for Nintendo, but still very gimmicky.

I really don't think standard controllers are a problem the video game industry needs to fix, as much as Nintendo tries.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Well, at least we know Nintendo has a limit on making casual gamer pandering consoles: the pronouns. I expect the successor to be either Wii U Mii, Wii U Hii Shii, Wii U U(plural) or Wii U They(I can't hink of anything for the last one).
I'm trying to be excited for this, but it's just so underwhelming. I was hoping Nintendo would be bold, and give us something fresh, instead we get what essentially boils down to a what the Wii should've been.
I think my problem was best summarised when Reggie talked about the DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U, and asked us to say what they showed us. They show me that Nintendo is far away from stopping this phase, if at all.