Ever Cheer For the Bad Guy?

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
It really depends on whether or not I like their character. I'll root for whoever is the most relateable or entertaining. Sometimes it's the bad guy.

syth0000

Mar 10, 2010
Hell yes in Law abiding citizen! i 100% agreed with clyde he shoulda brought down that whole disgusting justice system.

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
I've just finished watching Saving Private Ryan. A great movie.
I supported the supposed "bad guys" of the movie, especially "Steamboat Willie".
I felt for the protagonists too, though. But mostly for the "bad guys".

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
mb16 said:
star wars: what did the empire ever do wrong? i didn't see any slave labour or death camps
Thats a fair point actually, for an evil empire, The Empire were actually pretty decent guys. And to be honest, they seem to kill more of their own staff then any others (but thats OK because there bad guys (even if I'm not sure how they were bad guys (presumably because they died due to the so called "good guys" (... I think I've had Star Wars wrong all this time, the Jedi should be killed, they are the bad guys))))

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
teh_pwning_dude said:
thethingthatlurks said:
You have a really low standard of what constitutes evil. If obliterating a single planet in a galaxy for questionable reasons (at best) is evil, the average 3rd world rebel leader must be satan himself...
What? Obliterating a "single planet"? So if someone blew up, say, Earth, that's all well and dandy?

What the hell do you mean "questionable reasons"? It was held hostage for the location of blueprints. Once location was aquired, they blew it up anyway. I don't see how there's any two ways about it.

And are you really bringing real-world suffering into a discussion about fictional media? Not cool, dude.
A single planet in a galaxy is less than a single town on earth, comparatively speaking.
I'm curious, have you ever read Il Principe by Machiavelli? What the empire did was hardly evil, it actually quite justified in terms of war politics. Seriously, they're less than Saturday morning cartoon villains evil...

Big-T

Jan 11, 2010
ill be honest, i totally rooted for gerard butler in "law abiding citizen" i thought he was the good guy till the end. whoops. im going to hell.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
teh_pwning_dude said:
thethingthatlurks said:
A single planet in a galaxy is less than a single town on earth, comparatively speaking.
I'm curious, have you ever read Il Principe by Machiavelli? What the empire did was hardly evil, it actually quite justified in terms of war politics. Seriously, they're less than Saturday morning cartoon villains evil...
Of course they are. That's because Saturday Morning Cartoon Villians are one-dimensional evil antagonists for a chidren's audience. They're not meant to be even reasonably believable.

So if someone nuked a town, they're not evil? What the hell?

Also, Machiavelli was a prick. Fuck that philosophy and anyone who follows it. Whether or not something can be justified by the philisophy of a man who advocated personal victory and advancement over all else is irrelevent. Also, "war politics". Two of the worst things humans get themselves involved in XD
I meant on the level of "evilness," not in terms of believability. Star Wars isn't really on the same level as a cartoon

Not nuked, that would destroy more than just a single town. Destroy the village, burn it to the ground, and you have an adequate comparison. It's a single place, wholly unimportant to the planet as a whole, and it will likely be ignored by most people.

Oh, bad time to mention that I love The Prince, or Nietzsche's work?

SimplyTheWest

Jan 6, 2009
Ermm...Tom and Jerry anyone?

I always wanted Tom to catch that little B*****D, just because he was so cocky.

I was a messed up child.

AidoruKami

Jun 10, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Not nuked, that would destroy more than just a single town. Destroy the village, burn it to the ground, and you have an adequate comparison. It's a single place, wholly unimportant to the planet as a whole, and it will likely be ignored by most people.
...so if someone burned a place to the ground, it's perfectly justified so long as most of the world doesn't care?

My house is one part of a town, making it even smaller. If someone came and burned my house down, I'd most definitely consider the person that did it to be evil. Based on your logic, the person that did it isn't evil so long as I'm the only one who cares?

I have seen the light.

IHateDaManSkirt

Nov 21, 2009
squidbuddy99 said:
I wanted Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts to win. I still have no idea how they were evil. They only wanted to get their hearts. Sure, their leader was a tool and others tried to steal the hearts of other people for stronger Nobodies, but most members honestly thought this was a means to an end.
I rooted for them too. Partially because of that and partially because of the fact that I hated both Sora and Roxas.

OT:As you can see, I do, but only when I hate the protagonist or the "evil" people are better in a lot of ways.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
Julianking93 said:
Personally, I just watched the film Orphan for the second time and it centers around a young girl who turns out to be a psychotic murderer (don't worry, I'm not spoiling anything big) and I just thought the whole time "I really want her to get away with this" mainly because the enitire family she was trying to kill were a bunch of idiots.
That film was seriously messed up!! But no I tend to root for the good guy, especially in orphan because that girl creeped me out

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Watch Law abiding citizen if you ever want to root for a bad guy (it's also a good film btw). The main character, Gerard Butler goes up against the cop, Michael J Fox, and because Butler got scewed over by Fox at the beggining of the film you root for Butler to succeed in the film even though he does a lot of terrible crimes. You also end up hoping that Fox loses even though he is doing the right thing. A lovely twist that is.