Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Sugar causes insulin resistance, which causes diabetes...
Is it the only thing that does that? Could, say, a chain of sugars-- a carbohydrate-- also do that? Could consuming fats or proteins in sufficient quantities also do it? These are the kinds of details Silvanus wants you to provide, I think.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not the same thing. Where are those sources stating that overeating sugar is definitely the sole and direct cause of type 2 diabetes?
It's the most plausible theory with our knowledge of how the mechanisms work that lead to diabetes.

Here Phoenix, I will help you out far more than you actually deserve. I'll treat you like how I have to handle some of the overly technical people at work and write out your message for you. All you have to do is literally copy-paste the following into your own email post:

Avnger's Guide to Owning Your Fuckups

1. Openly admit you were wrong
2. State what you learned or will do to prevent it from happening again
3. Apologize for how you specifically impacted other individuals
Where's the apology from Silvanus for saying I don't understand my country's legal framework when I said states don't have to right to decide federal law to remove a candidate from the ballot and then SCOTUS ruled unanimously that states didn't have that power? Still waiting on that...

Is it the only thing that does that? Could, say, a chain of sugars-- a carbohydrate-- also do that? Could consuming fats or proteins in sufficient quantities also do it? These are the kinds of details Silvanus wants you to provide, I think.
I use sugar as a shorthand for anything that causes your blood sugar to spike like say bread (refined grains) as it's higher on the glycemic index than table sugar as your body very quickly turns that into sugars. I've stated that several times where why bread is bad for you but an orange is fine even though the orange has more actual grams of sugar in it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's the most plausible theory with our knowledge of how the mechanisms work that lead to diabetes.
Where are the sources stating that overeating sugar is definitely the sole and direct cause of type 2 diabetes?

Just say if you can't find any.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
How does one get insulin resistance without overeating sugar?
Scientists have identified genetics, excess weight, inactivity, and hormonal imbalances as potential causes and/or risk factors for insulin resistance, as well as diet. The latter is not required.

Sources:

Cleveland Clinic

NIH

CDC

Diabetes UK

So i ask again: Where are the sources stating that overeating sugar is definitely the sole and direct cause of type 2 diabetes?

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Scientists have identified genetics, excess weight, inactivity, and hormonal imbalances as potential causes and/or risk factors for insulin resistance, as well as diet. The latter is not required.

Sources:

Cleveland Clinic

NIH

CDC

Diabetes UK

So i ask again: Where are the sources stating that overeating sugar is definitely the sole and direct cause of type 2 diabetes?

I would suggest look at their definition of sugars becuase I'd dare say that Pheonix is saying sugar only because Insulin controls sugar levels in the blood and doesn't realise that glucose/fructose is in most things

Like normal, it's weird definitions that might be causing issue in discussions. It won't change their mind, it'll just be for you

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Sources:

Cleveland Clinic

NIH

CDC

Diabetes UK

What's the actual mechanisms that cause insulin resistance?

Scientists still have a lot to discover about how exactly insulin resistance develops. So far, they’ve identified several genes that make a person more or less likely to develop insulin resistance. In addition, older people are more prone to insulin resistance.

Several factors and conditions can cause varying degrees of insulin resistance. Scientists believe that excess body fat, especially around your belly, and physical inactivity are the two main contributing factors to insulin resistance.

Already showed a study that debunks that.

I would suggest look at their definition of sugars becuase I'd dare say that Pheonix is saying sugar only because Insulin controls sugar levels in the blood and doesn't realise that glucose/fructose is in most things

Like normal, it's weird definitions that might be causing issue in discussions. It won't change their mind, it'll just be for you
Already covered that several times.
I use sugar as a shorthand for anything that causes your blood sugar to spike like say bread (refined grains) as it's higher on the glycemic index than table sugar as your body very quickly turns that into sugars. I've stated that several times where why bread is bad for you but an orange is fine even though the orange has more actual grams of sugar in it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
What's the actual mechanisms that cause insulin resistance? [...] Already showed a study that debunks that.
No, you didn't, but I'm not interested in getting derailed again. I give you sources, you dismiss them, rinse and repeat. Meanwhile you have yet to provide a single, solitary thing for your central claim.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Of course some level of sugar intake is required for a high blood sugar level, which can come from direct sugar intake or carbohydrates, among other things. But there's consensus that an unhealthy diet, including overeating sugar, is a pretty common risk factor but far from required.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah, reading the actual article, I'm not seeing the problem with them asking this.

Are you reinforcing any negative gender stereotypes?

• Are you unnecessarily introducing gender & gender barriers into your code or design?
  • Are you creating playable female characters that are equal in skill and ability to their male peers. Are your female characters equipped with clothing and armor that fits their tasks? Do they have exaggerated body proportions?
  • When the story allows, do you show male characters who display a full range of emotions, including joy, sadness, and vulnerability?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, reading the actual article, I'm not seeing the problem with them asking this.

Are you reinforcing any negative gender stereotypes?

• Are you unnecessarily introducing gender & gender barriers into your code or design?
  • Are you creating playable female characters that are equal in skill and ability to their male peers. Are your female characters equipped with clothing and armor that fits their tasks? Do they have exaggerated body proportions?
  • When the story allows, do you show male characters who display a full range of emotions, including joy, sadness, and vulnerability?
Oh no. Society is ruined

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Of course some level of sugar intake is required for a high blood sugar level, which can come from direct sugar intake or carbohydrates, among other things. But there's consensus that an unhealthy diet, including overeating sugar, is a pretty common risk factor but far from required.
It's sounds like their using the same argument as the Co-morbidities and Covid and just collapsing definitions

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's sounds like their using the same argument as the Co-morbidities and Covid and just collapsing definitions
Not quite just a co-morbidity, because a causal link is established for several of them (weight & genetics in particular). Yeah, some may simply be risk factors rather than 'causes' per se, but this is also true for sugar in the diet, and the sources are quite open about that.

Regardless, the central and pertinent point here is that overeating sugar is not required. Countless expert sources have attested that now, and we haven't seen a single one saying otherwise, despite the insistence they could easily be provided.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Are your female characters equipped with clothing and armor that fits their tasks? Do they have exaggerated body proportions?
Come on. In our game lore, the Bikini-Warriors are masters of the nimble combat (Also they need to be able to do water-missions). That is a totally appropriate armor for them to wear.

Also everybody knows that Latex-Nuns gather their magic energy in their boobs. The bigger, the more powerful they are. We need to have a visual indicator for the player.

Honestly though:
We need a healthy mix of both. A bit of fun and weird shit, but not an industry of exec pushing sexual stuff into shit to manipulate the caveman-brains of teen boys with exploitative crap. Just be honest and faithful with you art. If you want a big-boobed "Puncherella" it's fine. Just don't insult your audience or lie about your motivations.

We can have mainstream "sensible", but like in all art and entertainment we need aberrations, outliers... weird shit.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
No, you didn't, but I'm not interested in getting derailed again. I give you sources, you dismiss them, rinse and repeat. Meanwhile you have yet to provide a single, solitary thing for your central claim.

You're saying I dismiss your sources when I literally re-quote them and tell you I agree with the source you posted like 2 months ago? I dismiss poor logic. It's not about the source, it's if the source's argument and logic make sense. Then you claim I didn't give you a source/study when I did several times.

Yeah, I know. That's why I bring it up

You're trying to use semantics to try to get yourself out of the argument suplex you find yourself without realising that you suplexed your
I literally quoted an article that Silvanus posted over a month ago talking about "free sugars" (though it doesn't get into how refined grains are also basically sugar) and what I mean by sugars, I've always stayed on point with what I mean but I'm not gonna type a sentence definition for sugars every time I talk about sugars.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Then you claim I didn't give you a source/study when I did several times.
No, you have yet to give me a single source supporting your claim that overeating sugar is definitely the sole and direct cause of type 2 diabetes. You gave us two sources saying different, much less extreme things, but none that supported your central claim.

So where are they? If you can't find any, just say so. This is about the sixteenth time asking, and I've still only received waffle, deflection, and sources saying other stuff in response.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Come on. In our game lore, the Bikini-Warriors are masters of the nimble combat (Also they need to be able to do water-missions). That is a totally appropriate armor for them to wear.

Also everybody knows that Latex-Nuns gather their magic energy in their boobs. The bigger, the more powerful they are. We need to have a visual indicator for the player.

Honestly though:
We need a healthy mix of both. A bit of fun and weird shit, but not an industry of exec pushing sexual stuff into shit to manipulate the caveman-brains of teen boys with exploitative crap. Just be honest and faithful with you art. If you want a big-boobed "Puncherella" it's fine. Just don't insult your audience or lie about your motivations.

We can have mainstream "sensible", but like in all art and entertainment we need aberrations, outliers... weird shit.
No, no, no, don't you understand? Unrealistic bodies are what male characters are for. If a female character isn't built like the average person at your local Wal-Mart then that's unrealistic prevents women from being able to enjoy the game.