Great musicians that died too young.

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Not Good said:
Ironic, seeing as I didn't name him in my original post. In any case I'm actually glad he sort-of died because now Death can't ever get worse, they can only get better through constant listening.
Name who?

We won't understand what you're talking about unless you use the quote button- hitting the reply button means you're replying to the thread, not the poster you intend to reply to.

Now, I also say that Franz Schubert died too young- he died just before he unfinished his last symphony (whoever gets that reference gets the entire universe).

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
Jamanticus said:
Not Good said:
Ironic, seeing as I didn't name him in my original post. In any case I'm actually glad he sort-of died because now Death can't ever get worse, they can only get better through constant listening.
Name who?

We won't understand what you're talking about unless you use the quote button- hitting the reply button means you're replying to the thread, not the poster you intend to reply to.
Death was the reference to Chuck Schuldiner, an innovative heavy metal guitarst who was the front-runner of the aforementioned band, and I did press the quote button but the quote dissappeared as hitting the quote button refreshes the page. Hence, I have to hit it twice. Pardon me if that happens in the future.

Phillosophic

Oct 30, 2008
Me too1 I have come accross lots of people who just dismissed it without even giving it a go. Anything that lets the band carry on is good to me.

LuRa1337

Sep 4, 2009
all of these great, and some not so great, musicians named, yet no one mentioned the driving force behind the Allman Brothers after Duane died. One of the greatest 'lead' bassist around. Berry Oakley, who, just like Duane, was killed by a motorcycle accident three blocks from where Duane had died.

Pocket Apocalypse

Apr 9, 2008
Jamanticus said:
Now, I also say that Franz Schubert died too young- he died just before he unfinished his last symphony (whoever gets that reference gets the entire universe).
Muahahaha! The universe is mine!

Anyway, here's my (perhaps obscure, but by no means undeserved) contribution: Phil Ochs, one of the greats of the Greenwich Village folk scene of the 60s. I was overjoyed to see that somewhere near me, someone's put together an evening in his honour later this month (FNAR, but I'm going anyway).

I also have to second any mention of Moonie, Bonham and Jeff Porcaro.

Nicolefranklin

Jul 19, 2009
Joe Strummer. He influenced me just as much as my parents did, and I can easily join the people saying "he changed my life". I got his portrait tattooed last year, thought it was a fitting way to pay my respects, and thank him. I still miss him like hell, the music today sure as hell needs a Strummer-like figure.

Also, his name escapes me, but the drummer from Rich Kids on LSD. He took over the project as vocalist for just one album, and he really had the most amazing voice I've ever heard. He collapsed on his piano, so sad.
Oh, and Mike (insert last name if anyone knows) from American Hardcore band M.I.A.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Jeff Buckley. One album was far too little of his work for the world to receive. His death is the one that still hits me the hardest for the possibilities.

John Lennon, for obvious reasons. While I'm not too keen on his solo stuff, he still had some great songs left in him imo.

And while I'm not the biggest fan of his music, I feel kinda sorry for Marc Bolan as he'd gotten his life back on track after the failure of his marriage, health and band, only to die in a car-crash.

Not going to say Cobain as he'd contributed about as much as he ever was going to towards music, and his influence may not even have been so prevalent without his untimely death.

And whoever said Joe Strummer, he was fifty when he died. Really too young, judging purely by musical potential? He hasn't released anything good for some time before his death. Same reason I didn't include Freddy Mercury.

BardSeed

Aug 4, 2008
conqueror Kenny said:
Cliff Burton. Metallica just haven't been the same without him.
Couldn't agree more. You can definitely hear his influence in the beginning. While ...AJFA was a good album, there wasn't the brilliant flow that was there in RtL or MoP.
Hendrix, Morrison and Bonham(even though Zeppelin were past their prime) are obvious choices. Man, I'd love to have seen all of those guys live.
Edit: I forgot Mitch Mitchell! What a brilliant drummer he was.

cleverlymadeup said:
Milkatron said:
For the record, Kurt Cobain should have been aborted so we didn't have to put up with that shit.
no they were actually good, heck smells like teen spirit is still voted in the top 10 of best songs ever, it's probly the number 1 song of the 90s
Being voted in the top 10 of crappy pop countdowns (especially with the amount of nu-metal that finds its way in) doesn't make them a great band, nor does it make teen spirit a great song. I'm neither strongly opposed to, nor in favour of Nirvana, by the way. I'm just pointing out your crappy logic.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Cliff Burton. He is easily the best bassist to have ever lived and he was only 24 when he died. People would argue that the Flea is better, but I disagree. The Flea is in his forties right now, which means he's had a lot more experience. Even so, I think Cliff's stuff is better than Flea's.

But imagine if Cliff Burton had 16 more years of experience...

Nicolefranklin

Jul 19, 2009
pigeon_of_doom said:
And whoever said Joe Strummer, he was fifty when he died. Really too young, judging purely by musical potential? He hasn't released anything good for some time before his death.
Wait, what? The Mescaleros got pretty succesful, and for a good reason, all three albums were great. But each to their own, I guess. :)

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Nicolefranklin said:
[
Wait, what? The Mescaleros got pretty succesful, and for a good reason, all three albums were great. But each to their own, I guess. :)
Never heard any of the Mescaleros, never really had them down as successful. Maybe I'm being unfair towards them as they weren't anything near the Clash. I heard some of Strummers 80's stuff and thought it was terrible, so I just assumed he was on something of a decline and never bothered to listen to his newer stuff, and nobody told me it was worth listening too.

I'll have a look into a couple of their songs. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll have a look into a couple of their songs. Thanks for pointing that out.
RedPandaMan said:
Marvin Gaye. One of the greatest voices ever.
How the hell did I forget that? Such a needless death too.