Next Fallout: Ideas?

masonfr8kr

Aug 10, 2009
Kavic86 said:
I say if they are going to make a good fallout game with shit tons of possibilities include the entire planet and not just locations. That would be my idea, make it an mmo or something.
Please, please, please do not turn another great RPG series into an MMO. It's bad enough with KotOR going down that path

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
I think a lot of you suggesting a change in setting out of the USA are kind of missing the point of Fallout. Fallout's entire style is geared towards parodying American futurism and popular culture from the 1950s and throughout the early years of the cold war.

TBH, I don't think it could really work in Europe or anywhere else. Not saying that a European equivalent wouldn't be cool (oooooohhhhhhh... The possibilities for awesome) it's just that Fallout is very dependent on it's setting and what it refers to.

mitsunakari

Sep 10, 2010
My ideas (which others have mentioned too i just didn't read the others beforehand) and a lot of the other ones would probably be spin-offs which is fine really, but for the next Fallout i don't really care too much about where it is I just want the gameplay to be great, fewer glitches, more weapons, more memorable characters, more diverse and cool quests and more choices.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Blatherscythe said:
ChupathingyX said:
All I want is for Bethesda to let Obsidian create Fallout 4, then I will be happy.
I want Bethesda to work side by side with Obsidian when creating Fallout 4. Bethesda makes workhorse (as in servicable, it works but nothing fantastic and a few plot holes) stories and interesting worlds/quests (even unmarked ones). Obsidian can tell a damn good story, but can only create servicable stories. Bethesda should create the game world and locations and Obsidian should create the story and characters.

But really, if Bethesda wanted to make Fallout 4 chances are it will be a good game. They get constant hate from a few die-hard, Chris Avellone worshiping Fallout 1/2 fans and quite a few probably voiced their opinions at them. They would most likely learn from their mistakes and pay more attention to the stroy and also work on the world.
Falloout 3's story was stupid, I'm sorry and putting any Fallout fanboyism aside it was pretty bad, the fact that you had to work with your dad and you were forced to fight for the BoS was stupid and the whole "you must sacrifice yourself to turn the purifier on" was just plain stupidity, considering there is a radiation immune ghoul standing right next to me.

Bethesda just didn't get the whole message of the Fallout series, it's about rebuilding society and exploring the values of pre-war humanity such as greed and religion. The main plot of New Vegas explores what governments with completely different ideals would be like fighting over a beacon of hope in an otherwise destroyed world. What would Ancient Rome be like if it were around today? What would a city like Vegas be like if people could do whatever they hell they wanted to?

Dead Money explored the issue of greed and the idea of "letting go" of desires and beginning again. The Fallout world needs to begin again after being destroyed by man's greed for power and oil, if we don't learn from past mistakes then the nuclear apocalypse could happen again for all we know. Look at Dead Money, at the end you are given huge blocks of gold worth hundreds of thousands of caps, yet you can't even take all of them, you have to "let go" and move on.

Honest Hearts follows Joshua Graham, the once great and powerful Legate of Caesar's Legion who failed his mission and almost killed. He has now turned to religion and seeks redemption for what he has done, however, he realises that god cannot give him everything and that it is solely up to him to take charge and atone for his past.

Fallout 3 just didn't have this, it was about hunter/gatherer societies scraping by on what they have and attempting to survive in what they perceive is a cruel and vicious world where they barely have any sense of a future.

TL:DR:
Let Obsidian handle the story, characters and lore and let Bethesda build from that.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
Bring back perks every level. I know it was imbalanced but it was fun. I think I sighed every time I gained a level without a perk in new vegas. Second is to make weapon upgrades more common. I was excited to hear that weapons in new vegas could be customized now but I then disliked it because 1. I only ever found them from vendors and 2.their expensive. Another would be to give us something to improve after we've hit the level cap. In fallout 3 I hit level 20 when I was only half way through the game due to all my side questing. Maybe we have something like weapon mastery to add to the depth of the rpg mechanics. Also consider thinning out the energy weapon choices. I always liked fallout 3 for it's take on the apocalypse along with it's setting that I could instantly relate to. But I always lost a little bit of that immersion a bit later in the game where I have all kinds of neat gadgets that could vaporize anything I set my mind (or crosshairs) to. I understand it's part of fallout to have all kinds of fictional technology but maybe some regulation is in order for the sake of immersion.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
hailfire said:
they should totally do "fallout: DC". I would buy that...
...You mean Fallout 3?

(and yes I am assuming that you really don't know rather than are just trying to be a troll)

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
aarontg said:
Bring back perks every level. I know it was imbalanced but it was fun. I think I sighed every time I gained a level without a perk in new vegas. Second is to make weapon upgrades more common.
Agreed it took me hours to figure out why leveling didn't feel right, and with the new perks every 2 levels as well, I felt like I couldn't make my character the way I wanted

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
JWRosser said:
London!

When my friend and I were walking around the other week (being the keen nerds we are), we were highlighting places that could be used in a Fallout: London game. Just think about it; it would be awesome. Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, O2 Arena, Thames, London Eye etc etc.

Haha, fuck this apocalypse, ima go ride the london eye!

Seriously though, Fallout in london would be terribly awesome.

Also I'm going to hell for saying Fallout: Japan.

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
Europe would be nice, but really the whole story line of Fallout is fighting the Enclave (I'm a huge fallout nerd :/) Anyway, I would like to see Detroit done, just seems like a good setting. That, and I don't really keep up with legal shit, but I would want them to take fallout 1 & 2 and revamp them to be 3D so it plays like New Vegas or Fallout 3.

Assonabum

Jul 17, 2010
San Francisco. A lot of memorable landmarks such as the Golden Gate Bridge. Something awesome and creative could also be done with Alcatraz.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Blatherscythe said:
ChupathingyX said:
All I want is for Bethesda to let Obsidian create Fallout 4, then I will be happy.
I want Bethesda to work side by side with Obsidian when creating Fallout 4. Bethesda makes workhorse (as in servicable, it works but nothing fantastic and a few plot holes) stories and interesting worlds/quests (even unmarked ones). Obsidian can tell a damn good story, but can only create servicable stories. Bethesda should create the game world and locations and Obsidian should create the story and characters.

But really, if Bethesda wanted to make Fallout 4 chances are it will be a good game. They get constant hate from a few die-hard, Chris Avellone worshiping Fallout 1/2 fans and quite a few probably voiced their opinions at them. They would most likely learn from their mistakes and pay more attention to the stroy and also work on the world.
Falloout 3's story was stupid, I'm sorry and putting any Fallout fanboyism aside it was pretty bad, the fact that you had to work with your dad and you were forced to fight for the BoS was stupid and the whole "you must sacrifice yourself to turn the purifier on" was just plain stupidity, considering there is a radiation immune ghoul standing right next to me.

Bethesda just didn't get the whole message of the Fallout series, it's about rebuilding society and exploring the values of pre-war humanity such as greed and religion. The main plot of New Vegas explores what governments with completely different ideals would be like fighting over a beacon of hope in an otherwise destroyed world. What would Ancient Rome be like if it were around today? What would a city like Vegas be like if people could do whatever they hell they wanted to?

Dead Money explored the issue of greed and the idea of "letting go" of desires and beginning again. The Fallout world needs to begin again after being destroyed by man's greed for power and oil, if we don't learn from past mistakes then the nuclear apocalypse could happen again for all we know. Look at Dead Money, at the end you are given huge blocks of gold worth hundreds of thousands of caps, yet you can't even take all of them, you have to "let go" and move on.

Honest Hearts follows Joshua Graham, the once great and powerful Legate of Caesar's Legion who failed his mission and almost killed. He has now turned to religion and seeks redemption for what he has done, however, he realises that god cannot give him everything and that it is solely up to him to take charge and atone for his past.

Fallout 3 just didn't have this, it was about hunter/gatherer societies scraping by on what they have and attempting to survive in what they perceive is a cruel and vicious world where they barely have any sense of a future.

TL:DR:
Let Obsidian handle the story, characters and lore and let Bethesda build from that.
I know New Vegas is based on the rebuilding of society and the DLC's are representations of parts of society.

I don't think Bethesda is stupid and missed the whole point of what Fallout is about, but looking at gameplay of New Vegas and Fallout 3 I can see why they went the route they did. DC was way out on the West Coast so they could be a bit more leniant with the lore and the place is largely unexplored. They needed a reboot that would appeal to the FPS, RPG, lootaholic, nostalgia fans in one game to gather interest in the next game, they originally bought the license for like 3 games. Story wasen't good, that's why I said it is just a way to make the player explore dangerous parts of the wasteland that they woud normally avoid like the plague. It was also meant to represent how tough rebuilding is. But it's better than Tatics and BOS so I'd give Bethesda a point for it.

Also I don't know why you hated being forced to work with your dad, it was his choice to finish his project and you could not convince him otherwise. Your forced to help Elija in Dead Money, like it or not so why is having to help a nice character so bad? You have to help the Brotherhood because your not a pure human so the Enclave would just kill you. In Fallout 1 you needed to get the help of the Brotherhood for the armor, otherwise you ran the risk of being one shot by non critical hits by the end boss. In Fallout 2 unarmed and melee would get you killed by the end boss, so you were forced to use anything but melee and get the Advanced Power Armor MK 2 to avoid being one shotted. Your also forced to fight for your vault/village, forced to find the water chip/G.E.C.K. and forced to fight the big bad. By having to do those things and having those options taken away from you Fallout 1/2 are just as guilty as 3, hell even New Vegas suffers from this, your forced to find Benny, forced on a linear path and forced to decide the fate of Vegas.

Besides, 200 years after armaggedon isn't enough time to even go on the surface without a radiation suit on. Radiation doesn't work the way it does in Fallout as it does in real life.

And your TL-DR is the same thing I proposed you thief!

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
scnj said:
I think going outside the US removes what Fallout is about, which is spoofing America's positive 50s atitude by dropping bombs on it. Taking out that American aesthetic would take the series away from its original purpose.
Yah, the only place I'd think that could be viable is China like I said, they're constantly talked about in the Fallout games and it would be interesting to see the opposite side of fight. Plus it would give the developers a great opportunity to make alot of new things.