oliveira8 said:
rockingnic said:
oliveira8 said:
rockingnic said:
oliveira8 said:
The Great JT said:
How Nintendo Can Win Over Halo Audience:

Release Halo on the Wii.
With the option to use Mario instead of Master Chief.
Mario would make Halo fans run away in fear that their beloved developer, Bungie, sold their souls to the Nintendo Devil. Then they will continue playing games on their 360.
With the option to use Mario.
Is there an option that the game would have the Nintendo tag on the box cover? No because it would be there as long as Mario is in a game, whether you play as Mario is an option or not.
Last time I saw Legend of Zelda doesn't have Mario and has the Nintendo brand on it...
Look harder, its there.
A somewhat easter egg in Majora's Mask. The mask guy has a Mario mask on his bag.

Ben66

Mar 6, 2009
Like I always say, the casual and hardcore labels are useless.

I love Nintendo and am still looking forward to their coming games, but they're making a big mistake actively trying to win the "Halo" crowd instead of the "FPS" crowd. Obviously any new FPS released will be immediately and unfairly compared to Halo, but actively saying your games are gonna win over Halo fans just makes it worse.

How I wish developers would make the games THEY want to make again, instead of pandering to the lowest yet highest-paying demographic. Oh well, they gotta make money somehow.

(Also, I'm what'd you call a "hardcore" gamer, and I've played Wii Fit. It's FUN, and just as much a video game as it is an exercise thing).

Matu Flp Krwfe

Apr 1, 2009
Baconator96 said:
Exactly the train of thought i was on. You play a first person shooter on the Wii because you liked halo, and thought "Hey, it looks close enough, why the hell not?"
Unfortunately with the bars for graphics, features, and gameplay set as high as they have been with the blockbuster megahits of not only Halo but also GOW, COD, and GTA the shooter crowd will likely abandon what sub-standard title the Wii brings to the table before this theortical point of yours because the sub-standard hardware isn't capable of supporting anything that could meet the expectations that the Wii has been fortunate enough to avoid by going after the non-gamer and children demographics with its spasm controled gamecube.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
As a regular Wii player, I highly doubt the Wii can "win over the Halo audience. By "Halo Audience", I'm pretty sure Reggie just means the 'core' gamer audience in different words. You guys are taking his statement too literally.

The reason I believe this is not possible because those kind of gamers are absolutely big on online gameplay and graphical powerhouses. The Wii's online is decent but obviously not satisfactory for this audience, and if you plan on going after them, a huge amount of improvements are required.

I'm not the first one to say we need to get rid of friend codes and bring in universal profiling for people. Heck, I'm not sure why Nintendo never did this - using a universal profile that can add friends with a few button prompts is MUCH easier to use (even for a person that does not play video games), than having to look for long series of numbers, writing them down, and then contacting a friend in ANOTHER way, and having him/her do the same for you. Very disappointing and unnecessary, still not sure why they went that route.

So basically, I'm going to say Reggie shouldn't have made this statement at all. Probably should have stuck to something safer like "We still do recognize our core gaming audience - look at our E3 announcements, when was a last time so many 1st party games were announced, etc."

Fortunately, I play for fun and the experience of the games, and not so much competition. High Voltage's multiplayer games should be fine for me, and I'll still be enjoying those great single player games.

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
Matu Flp Krwfe said:
Baconator96 said:
Exactly the train of thought i was on. You play a first person shooter on the Wii because you liked halo, and thought "Hey, it looks close enough, why the hell not?"
Unfortunately with the bars for graphics, features, and gameplay set as high as they have been with the blockbuster megahits of not only Halo but also GOW, COD, and GTA the shooter crowd will likely abandon what sub-standard title the Wii brings to the table before this theortical point of yours because the sub-standard hardware isn't capable of supporting anything that could meet the expectations that the Wii has been fortunate enough to avoid by going after the non-gamer and children demographics with its spasm controled gamecube.
The Wii isn't THAT underpowered, and can infact run halo 3. Technically.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
Kiutu said:
...Why? Halo's audience are losers. Alot of them SHOULD be Wii gamers though anyways. (Young children) But hey, if they want to lighten our load then fine.

Halo gamers are hardcore? Not really. Halo 3 attractes what I call "meathead gamers" who play Halo 3, Gears of War, and CoD 4 and thats it. Playing those games does not automatically file you under that, but if you think one of those games is the best game ever, then it does.
That's not completely true. Although I agree with you about crappy "Meathead Gamers" (nice name, it has a ring to it.) not all of Halo players are like that, I love Halo and I play a variety of games. From shooters, to Sims (although I suck at them), to fighters, and even RPGs including JRPGs. I have a Wii and God knows I regret that. If I knew what I know now about the Wii I would have bought a PS3 when I had the cash. But I also love Nintendo and trusted the Wii....now it collects dust.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Haha, just try it, *****.
I'm willing to give DSE a shot since the 360 version got me so hooked, but it won't have the benefit of lush, atmospheric graphics this time around.

*btw, I own a Wii and love it. I've played Metroid Prime 3 and LoZ: Twilight Princess, and they are both fantastic works, artistically and gameplay-wise. I just don't see how they can blend with the world of "hardcore" violence.

The Great JT said:
How Nintendo Can Win Over Halo Audience:

Release Halo on the Wii.
It's...so...simple....yet...so brilliant.

oliveira8 said:
With the option to use Mario instead of Master Chief.
Hey, best of both worlds.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I think the idea behind it is that they want all different types of gamers to respect Nintendo before the next generation of consoles hits.

Nintendo basically has the casual gamer market pinned, so that will be their primary market when they release their next console, but if they can get back some of their core gaming audience then they will be making even more cash next year.

In all fairness, I see myself as being a pretty hardcore gamer (aka: not being over 85 and thinking that WiiSports is the height of gaming) and the only thing stopping me getting a Wii is its lack of "serious" games.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:
Kiutu has got a point. Alot of those people are absolute morons. NOT SAYING HALO 3 SUCKS! I'm just saying that the majority of it's audience are the 13 year old idiots who scream down their headsets. There are of course the Halo 3 players who are good-natured like the sort you see around here.

But there's no denying that most of their fanbase or 13 year old morons. But then again these idiots rake in copious amounts of dough for their respective titles so fair play, Ninty.
Uhhh, actually the minority is the 13 year old idiots. Most people are in private parties or dont communicate. Its just that they grab attention like they intend to.

But i want to send a little message to Nintendo.
You lost the hardcore gamer after sending out the gimmicks like wii fit and stuff like that, you are not going to get the audience for one game and expect them to buy the very reason the wii is not popular with that crowd.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
Malygris said:
"And you know what? Once those people buy into Wii, they'll go buy Wii Fit Plus [http://www.mariokart.com/]."
Ok, well that's a logical progression.
"Now that I have Dead Space, what next?
Wii Fit of course!"

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
He wasn't just talking about halo, halo is just a metaphor for the more "mature" audience. Before anyone replies mature is the rating on the box not a representation of the community.
However he will fail because the wii has crap online, controls poorly compared to a controller, lacks any of the next gen effects "mature" gamers expect and has a reputation as the casual brand.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Wow, for a multi-billion successful global corporation, nintendo don't half sound like dopey morons in this announcement. Do they want their primarily younger audience subject to abuse and swearing on the wholesome nintendo forums from the halo-playing doucebags? Trust me nintendo, you don't WANT halo players on your console!

Btw, when they said that halo players may move onto mario kart when they've got a wii, that just cracked me up. "STOP BLUE-SHELLING ME N00BTARD, I'LL FUCKING SHOVE YOUR CONTROLLER UP YOUR ASS, GAYMUNCHER!!!"

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=33639693
Would you really want to win over a hateful community that scares off most people?

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
So they want to win over foulmouthed 13-year old boys? That demographic probably owns a lot of Wii's already, you just can't hear them because of the sweet lack of voice acting in online Wii games.

Just try to imagine Mario Kart Wii with voice chat, that would be one of the most horrible things ever.

blinkgun96

Dec 15, 2008
Kiutu said:
...Why? Halo's audience are losers. Alot of them SHOULD be Wii gamers though anyways. (Young children) But hey, if they want to lighten our load then fine.

Halo gamers are hardcore? Not really. Halo 3 attractes what I call "meathead gamers" who play Halo 3, Gears of War, and CoD 4 and thats it. Playing those games does not automatically file you under that, but if you think one of those games is the best game ever, then it does.
I agree with the "if you think those games are the best game ever" part because the best game ever doesnt exist nor will it ever, but thanks for insulting the hardworking people who love the game but arent four year olds or losers and yes, there are exceptions.
EDIT: also LOL