Poll: Are you closer to your Mum or Dad

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
My dad by a long shot. My dad is way smarter and relatable but he makes the least money so he's usually powerless when dealing with mom. I seriously don't know why anyone would hire her. She is the most incompetent person I know and she insists on doing everything by herself because she thinks she knows everything. I could go on about how much I hate her but I wouldn't know when to stop.

Keltrick

Jun 7, 2010
FalloutJack said:
I'm sorry, but this poll is incomplete. I'm not really close to either of them.
Seconded.

My father left when I was pretty young and has only had contact with me on a few seldom occasions. My mother and I have nothing near a close relationship. It's one of those, love them as family, but just as two people you just don't get along. I guess my Male closer to Mother, but only because I don't have a neither option.

Seren1988

Jan 5, 2011
I'm female and I really don't get on with my mum... Though I get on like a house on fire with my dad. I try to phone him everyday (we live 200 miles apart).
I wasn't always so close to my dad, don't get me wrong. I've always been a daddy's girl but as an adult, I also consider him one of my closest friends.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
I'm closer to my father, since he actually encouraged me to try in life. And of course my mom's a homophobic ass.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
Male and closer to my mother here. Though honestly I'm not all that close to either, I just find my mother is actually willing to listen to me at times.

As a child I was always closer to my father, but in recent years I realised just how opinionated and hypocritical he can be. Around the same time relations with my mother improved after a particularly heated shouting match.

Actually, now that I think about it, I fight MUCH more with my mother, in fact she's the only person I have fights with, but I think the only reason I don't argue with my father is because I don't bother talking to him about anything that COULD spark an argument, with my mother there's a chance part of what I say gets through.

Captcha: father time
How does it always know?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Closer to my Mom even though I'm distant (emotionally so) from both of them. I've found things out about my Dad that make me dislike him coupled with a shaky number of teen years have made me actually dislike the guy.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I'm a mummy's boy. Mostly because I never knew my father due to him leaving while still in my mothers womb. I respect the reasons why he left though, unlike a lot of people who would probably hate their father blind for something like that. But yeah, I'm quite close to my mother, and my grandmother.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I'm closer to my mom because she's the one that raised me. My parents were never married and my interactions with my father were limited to holidays and summer in the earlier years, then, eventually, diminished to just text messages. Just recently, I decided to halt communication with him, because I was sick of the one-sided nature of them. Apparently, any strain in our relationship was my fault and, even though I surpassed him in education and even had a job that paid more than his, it never seemed to be enough for him. I've cried and beat myself (figuratively and literally) many times over this man. I'm 27 now and I'm tired of it, so I wipe my hands of him. My mom may not have been perfect, but at least she was there for me and was proud of my accomplishments while encouraging me to do better. She knew my father was a jerk off, but didn't want her feelings to influence my relationship with him which I greatly appreciate. She knows how I feel about him and respects my decision, even though she would like for me to keep a relationship with him since she never had one with her own father.
I love my mom very much and, as far as I'm concerned, I no longer have a father.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Female here. I was closer to my dad; he and I had a very similar laid-back attitude towards just about everything, whereas my mom was a lot more rigid, organized, and whatnot. My mother and I also have the same stubborn streak, which resulted in some nasty arguments in my high school and early-college years. Since my dad died, though, my mom and I have gotten a lot closer: I'd say both of us tried to shoot for some middle ground between our personalities. But it's hard to compare directly.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
My mom. I have a hard time approaching my dad. He worked on helicopters when he got into the Marine Corps, so his hearing is a lot worse than otherwise, which means there are a lot of awkward situations in which I'm forced to repeat what I just said.

And it really hurts me to think about it like that. Whenever I have children, I would hate to have a relationship like this with any of my children, in which any of them are afraid to approach me. I just...I think I'm gonna go to bed now.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm way closer to my mother, although my Dad and I see much more eye-to-eye. It's probably because Mom was a stay-at-home housewife and even homeschooled me for a few years.

Lemme ask my sister...

...After a couple very weird looks, she said more or less the same thing.

Psychoninja7

Nov 11, 2010
Rose and Thorn said:
I'm a bastard. And before you make any smart comments, I mean the fatherless kind.
Did... You just quote Alistair from Dragon Age?

I rarely see my mum. I like her, but I rarely see her because she lives far away. I'm close to both my parents, really. I live with my dad though so I went for Female and Close to my Father.
I love both parents equally.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'm close to both my parents.

I used to be a bit closer to my dad. But lately he's been more irritable, probably due to his bad back and the stress of having to help take care of my grandmother who has cancer. Not to mention I'm discovering how polarizing some of our views on things are. I still talk to him whenever I need someone to talk to about something, but now I'm starting to gravitate towards my mom a bit more.