Poll: Which Starter Pokemon did you choose?

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Way back when I was new to Pokemon, I picked Bulbasaur because it made life easier and it just became the one I'd always use becasue it was like winning the game for me. Now whenever I play it I usually pick Squirtle...just because Blastoise is such an amazing concept...

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Bulbasaur mainly because I prefer Gyarados and Ninetails as water/fire types. the only other grass possibility would be Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel so for me it would be Bulbasaur every time, unless i decide to go for a random group

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Charmander and Dewott.

Charmander is aesthetically awesome, but as the game moves on, he becomes kind of shit. :p Still, so do most of the starters, so I kept using him.

I had a lot of trouble choosing my gen five starter. I love fire, but Tepig was kind of shitty, so it came down to Dewott or Snivy for me. I eventually went with Dewott, and didn't regret it, although I was still very happy to nab a Snivy off my friend later.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I vote for Charmander, because flight is invaluable. Although given the choice of any starter, Torchic all the way. Blaziken is just a demon of flame made physcial.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
I always go with the water starter, NOT because it is a water type but because I always liked it the most,
blastoise: he's a moutherf***ing turtle with canons.
feraligator: crocodile, do I need to say more.
swampert: I love amphibians (training toxicroak at the moment)
empoleon: god damn piplup was adorable and empoleon was a badass
and I didn't use a starter in the fifth generation, first pokemon of my team that I caught was drilburr (called him the mole) and he was able to take on all gyms single handedly even though he was a lower level then all the pokemon in the gym.

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
I know some of you put down bulb because he had an advantage against the first two gyms, and I respect that choice. But I went with Charmander because I knew I would have a disadvantage! I knew I had to be that much better to beat those two gyms, and it would pay off!!

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
bulbasaur

1. you could pretty much rape your way through brock and the caves to level him up quick, by the time you get to where his weaknesses are at, you should have more pokemon to do the job

2. Solar BEEEAM!!!!!!

3. poison/sleep effects

MMSouthpawVIII

Sep 5, 2008
I had yellow so i didnt get to pick :(

Silver- Cyndaquil
Saphire- Treecko
havent played diamond/pearl or black/white

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
Bulbasaur I like grass types. Charmander and Squirtle are cool too, but Bulbasaur is better.

Lbsjr

Dec 29, 2010
First pokemon game I had was yellow. In gold I had Cindaquil, and once I got to Firered and Leafgreen, I used Bulbasaur cause hes a dinosaur-plant hybrid thing of awesome.

Mittens The Kitten

Dec 19, 2010
creationis apostate said:
Charizard has a far better movepool than moltres + no one that uses legendaries is respected in the pokemon community. Blastoise also has a fantastic movepool and also very good defensive stats. Venusaur however, has maybe 2 good moves. Also grass sucks as a type.
I'm going to quote the Smogon Gen 1 analysis for Blastoise for you.

"He would be an above average Pokemon if it weren't for his movepool. While Blastoise is definitely the weakest of the starters, it can still do very well in UU play."

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
First gen: bulbasaur because of gym leaders.
Strong against rock, water, lightning, and ground.
Matched by grass and poison (hah! Try to use toxic on THAT, Koga!).
Weak against fire and psychic, but those two are kinda late in the game anyway.

Yellow: I didn't get a choice. And I hated that pikachu. HATED IT! Blastoise had good def and could kick butt. Venusaur take hits fine too and I found his movepool pretty decent due to crits, sleep, and being the only starter pokemon with a healing ability, even if it's a very gradual one. Charizard couldn't take hits as well but he was a major damage dealer and he could FLY in yellow! Have you tried to hit something that could FLY?! It's hard! But Pikachu? Lousy def. Attacks missed most of the time (or was I just unlucky). Kept bumping into me when I wanted to turn around. Wasted time at poke centers just to walk up to the counter. And it wouldn't even let me evolve it. It guilt tripped me every time I put it into its box! (I'm a bleeding heart...) So in the end, it was a useless little mouse that took up one perfectly good pokemon slot that could have been occupied by someone else! Like dragonair. Or Nidoking. Or Zapdos...

Second gen: cyndaquil for the same reason.
Strong against bug, steel, and ice (well, it was supposed to be, but the ice pokemon used are part water and part ground so that sucked, but at least that was late in the game).
Neutral against flying, normal, ghost, and fighting.
Weak against dragon(?) and the flipside of those ice pokemon. Rackemfrackem.

Didn't buy any games after that. 151 was doable. 251 was still plausible. 351 was where I drew the line. And you guys may mock me for picking pokemon strong against the gym leaders rather than taking the underdog approach, but here's my rebuttal: I didn't have to spend as much time grinding for exp. So hah, I say. Hah!

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
i agree that bulbasaur is my least favourite, but i love all three of the little critters! ^_^ and let's not forget that venusaur kicks some serious ass! blastoise not so much for a turtle/tank hybrid but what can ya do? i chose charmander, i mean, who the hell wouldn't choose the lizard with... oh my GOD IS THAT FIRE ON ITS TAIL?!?!

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
creationis apostate said:
Charizard has a far better movepool than moltres + no one that uses legendaries is respected in the pokemon community. Blastoise also has a fantastic movepool and also very good defensive stats. Venusaur however, has maybe 2 good moves. Also grass sucks as a type.
i'm gonna sound really cliche here and say that i honestly believe that a pokemon is only as good as its trainer, i encorporate a legendary into my team now and again, they're good! but nothing special, my Raikou on HG wouldn't last 4 turns against my Raichu on Platinum

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Charmander. Because fire-breathing dragon - does one really need any other reason?

I always pick the starter based on their final evolution. It's one of the reasons I was disappointed with Black/White's starters, as for me personally the water one is the only one that actually looks good. And I had such high hopes for a badass fire boar thing.