Question of the Day, July 3, 2010

Aug 25, 2009
PC Gaming has been 'dying' since 1985.

Anything that has been dying that long cannot be considered to be dying.

So no, PC Gaming is not dying, nor is console gaming, or handheld gaming. To suggest that OC Gaming might be dying would be to suggest that movies would be dying because of the invention of televisions, (which happened by the way when televisions were first introduced) and is just as wrong.

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
Oh gee, thanks for the neutral option.

I'd like to think that PC gaming isn't dead or dieing, its more that console gaming is growing quite fast.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Dr. Awesome Face said:

someone had to post it.

And no PC gaming is not dying. Its just not getting quite as much support at the mo
Someone really needs to replace Duke Nukem forever in that image with Half Life 2:Episode 3.

Anyway, PC gaming is neither dying nor does it reign supreme. It exists alongside console gaming in a never ending flame-war regarding the superiority of each medium.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I do most of my gaming on consoles, but I have a solid collection of PC games and I don't think it will die any time soon, I think the chances are bigger that it will get ahead of consoles in the future than dying.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
C) This question gets annoying every other week

it won't die so long as there's someone who can see the value of the PC as an restricted platform that can give more control to people instead of taking it away at the whims of a company.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
who comes up with these questions? PC gaming has never been better thanks to steam and digital media which is the way to go for pcs. Also, theres still a little thing called LAN parties which are all pc gamers, also everyone has a computer that they have played games on at some point. Once you go pc gaming, you don't go back for most things. It is just so precise with movements. When lan parties fall to all console gamers, I will commit suicide.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
PC > Console. Always has been, always will be. Consoles are just single function PCs with no depth or range.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Don't get me wrong; I enjoy playing on my PC more than I do on my consoles. But, I just don't know how much longer it's going to last in terms of quality. Other than a few awesome developers (Bethesda, BioWare, Blizzard, 2K [sometimes], CDProjekt, Crytek, Valve, Relic), no one cares about the PC as much as they do the consoles. And why should they? Development costs are less and the profit margin is higher for console development.

Simply put, playing games exclusively on the PC is just ignorant nowadays. There are so many awesome games that come out exclusively for consoles (Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Super Mario Galaxy 2, to name the most recent) that it's really not an option anymore. Plus, a console costs less than a high-end gaming rig. There's just no reason why console games should be completely ignored, as some PC elitists choose to do.

I don't know if PC gaming will actually ever die, per se. I'm sure games will continue to be released on the PC for a while. The only question is whether or not there will actually be any original PC games or if they'll all just be ports.

I feel like the future of the PC is best seen as that of the Wii if no titles were exclusively developed for it. All that leaves is shovelware and inferior ports.

And for what it's worth, the "Happily dying since 1985" picture kind of hurts the PC case more than helps it. If you look at the most recent games in the picture, there are very few released after 2004, and even some of those (Unreal Tournament 3, Bioshock) weren't PC exclusive. UT3 in particular was a shoddy port of a console game.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Two options in either extreme? The hell?

Anyway, no. PC gaming will die just as soon as console gaming. Both have their advantages, both are doing fine.

deth2munkies said:
PC > Console. Always has been, always will be. Consoles are just single function PCs with no depth or range.
Mmm the PS3 and the Wii can browse the Internet. The Wii and the 360 get Nexflix. Don't hate, mkay?

And besides, PC gamers are so superior to everyone you don't even have to tell us that PC gaming is better in every way.

Rombor

Mar 29, 2010
I don't think PC gaming is dying, but it doesn't reign supreme. I won't vote due to the lack of an appropriate option to the poll.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
e2density said:
Timbydude said:
no one cares about the PC as much as they do the consoles
Did you just CTRL+F that phrase? I listed developers right before that who are in the same category as Valve. Oddly, though they're by far the biggest one in that regard, I forgot to list them. My mistake.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
You need more poll options. Like , no it's not dying and no, it does not reign supreme. It's just there and it will be.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Is Bioware still around? Then PC gaming isn't dead. I could care less if less games are made for it since I'm just going to buy Biowares anyway, and that rarely leaves room for others.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
A Mad Monk 2 said:
i hope this doesnt bring out the pc master race
We have come to claim our territory: THE GAMING INDUSTRY! Muahahahahaha.

You will pay tax in the form of zoo biscuits and must become pc engineers to further our great cause. Now give me zoo biscuits.

Pc and console gaming are going along side by side just fine. Neither is or will die.