What the Hell, Gearbox?

Olecksandr Babiak

Jun 5, 2011
"Before playing DNF demo" Holy ass, the wait is over `n stuff ! let's see what`s the world been waiting so long...
"After playing DNF demo" ...Fuck this, where`s my Bulletstorm ?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Crash486 said:
Why is it every fps developer these days feels the need to incorporate self-regenerating health and the 2 weapon arsenal. Why won't these mechanics die? What the hell was wrong with health packs? Why do they feel to the need to force me to carry only 2 weapons at a time? What's the point of this mechanic, and don't tell me realism.
One word: Borderlands. Health packs for health and as many weapons as you can fit in your excessively large pockets.

I'd like to assume Gearbox was trying something different with DNF. Maybe these mechanics had been put in place by a company before them. DNF sort of makes more sense with regenerating health, though. It's not health per se, it's ego. And as egotistical as Duke is, it could be safely assumed that he wouldn't have a problem with bouncing back from a blow to his ego.

Though this does bring the question as to whether or not this makes his physical body immune to bullets...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
dogstile said:
The point of the mechanic is to give you choice making. Call it bad reasoning if you want, but that's the official "reason".

But its ok, its a shooter with a two weapon system. Everyone shout halo clone like its a bad thing, I know how hard people hate on halo nowadays for some insane reason.
Mostly because people act like it was god's gift to first person shooters? There were shooters that were far better than it on the PC before it? And people use the phrase "Halo clone" like it was the first game to use all manner of different mechanics.

It's not a bad game, but it's not revolutionary, it was just another FPS and still is.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Vibhor said:
Stavros Dimou said:
Vibhor said:
BlastedTheWorm said:
Blame 3D Realms, not Gearbox. Gearbox have had Duke for a few months, 3D Realms have been working on it for 14 years.
You shitting me?
3D realms didn't made shit for duke nukem. When the project was shifted to gearbox, it 0% complete. Everything that has been done is made by Gearbox.
No,Gearbox aqcuired 80% of the game finished.
But still, Gearbox had it for a year. They could easily remove that from the game and make it some thing more suitable. What they have right now just hinders the fun.
And you know this how exactly?
Let's not point fingers until we actually have someone who really deserves it.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Who knows maybe the demo is really really old, and when the full game comes out. It'll be what we always wanted....I can dream right?

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Vibhor said:
Hyper-space said:
I could have believed this post but you missed a completely important absolute fucking necessary fact. Its that Duke Nukem Forever is supposed to be the over the top type game not your fucking call of duty.
Also Just Cause 2 had health regen.
Just cause 2 had minor health regen, but med packs were necessary to survive.

And my post was not directed at the design-choices of DNF, but OP's statement that these game mechanics should die.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
Um they have been working on it for 12 YEARS so I dont think that the not having enought time argument for no medkits is valid.
Dude. They haven't been working on it for that long.

Sure, someone had the idea back then, but it's not like they've had a full team sitting around thinking about the game for twelve years, only to start building it now.

That'd just be a stupid thing to do.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I actually went back and played duke 3D. Health packs work in FPS only if they are in good areas, problem with this is that without a regenerating health bar you can get stuck around a checkpoint with 2 hit points left and no med kits about to enter an area in which you have no choice but to be hit a few times (One part of duke 3D involves shrinking yourself and then running from enemies long enough to grow back and fight, problem is that with low health you will be killed instantly so when I had no health, that part became impossible since I couldn't switch weapons fast enough after I grew back)
I enjoy regenerating health bars but only if they are done well. I'd like there to be a health bar as well as a shield so the heath can only be increased by med kits but the shield will slowly recharge over time... Have any games even done that?

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
CCountZero said:
The original Rainbow 6 games did a good job with realism - head shot, or body shot were instant kills (or at least damaged you enough that that operative couldn't complete the mission) getting shot in the leg caused you to slow down, you choose which weapons to use before hand and you tell your squad mates where to go before the mission begins.
Yeah, that's another good example. Loved the hell outta those games too.

Gonna be interesting how they plan to "take it back to its roots" after this whole Vegas travesty.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Hyper-space said:
Vibhor said:
Hyper-space said:
I could have believed this post but you missed a completely important absolute fucking necessary fact. Its that Duke Nukem Forever is supposed to be the over the top type game not your fucking call of duty.

And my post was not directed at the design-choices of DNF, but OP's statement that these game mechanics should die.
*MINOR* health regen?
Health was divided in 4 quarters. Each quarter took 1 RPG shot to completely run out. The last quarter lasted the longest because it was constantly regenerating. That was no minor health regen. I could take armies with that much health(normal mind you) and still have enough to raid the nearby military base.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Vibhor said:
Hyper-space said:
Vibhor said:
Hyper-space said:

*MINOR* health regen?
Health was divided in 4 quarters. Each quarter took 1 RPG shot to completely run out. The last quarter lasted the longest because it was constantly regenerating. That was no minor health regen. I could take armies with that much health(normal mind you) and still have enough to raid the nearby military base.
You are still not addressing my main point, the one about the game mechanics, you are dwelling on minor technicalities and subjective (not objective) experiences.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
And now to provide some balanced argument between both the DOOM and Halo camps, a blast from vgcats.com's past.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Hyper-space said:
*MINOR* health regen?
You are still not addressing my main point, the one about the game mechanics, you are dwelling on minor technicalities and subjective (not objective) experiences.[/quote]

I was mocking your post that it was incorrect just like you mocked the OP.
See,this is the problem that we all face when we go off topic.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
tehbeard said:
And now to provide some balanced argument between both the DOOM and Halo camps, a blast from vgcats.com's past.
Sadly nobody is crying over regenerating health(DNF has EGO instead of health anyway). OP is a bit out of his mind. The thing that made DN3D good was the huge and fun arsenal of weapons(Shrink ray and freeze ray are something that are still not seen in the shooters these days). It was the same reason why gravity gun got hailed as innovative and fun. The new game (demo) just limits the player's ability to do shit.
Also do note people, the demo was made by 3D realms, not Gearbox. The mighty boot does exist(as seen in the trailer where duke squished small enemies) and there is a chance that they may have changed the weapon bullshit too and considering the demo was supposed to be for a special group of people there is a chance that it was just to show that the game lives.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Vibhor said:
I was mocking your post that it was incorrect just like you mocked the OP.
See,this is the problem that we all face when we go off topic.
It was you that went off-topic in the first place and Just Cause 2 still has minor health-regen and relies mostly on med-packs (saying that you can kill so and so in one quarter doesn't change shit). Hell, just replace Just Cause 2 with any game where your character can take massive amounts of punishment.

You have no argument, my point is still valid as you never even so much as TRIED to refute it. Instead, you decided to dwell on something that's beside the point and irrelevant.

So next time, if you have no goddamn fucking argument, don't go off-topic and then claim that everyone is at fault.

MinionStarwind

Shooby Doo-Wah
Apr 17, 2009
But why CAN'T we go back to old-school shooters? Where one guy can lug around an entire armory and enough ammo for a large SWAT team?

That seems a hell of a lot more fun than what I played.

EDIT: and on the topic of regenerating health. Red Dead Redemption had a form of regenerating health. There you go.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I don't see why everybody says Duke was so tough in 3D. I watched a let's play of the game recently on normal and the player went from full health and armor to dead from 3 mid range shotgun blasts from a pig cop. The weapons also seemed underpowered and you really didn't get enough ammo to go on a rambo style rampage. Also the reason for regenerating health and limitted weapons is to do two things. For weapons it encourages thinking your loadout beyond, "do I have enough ammo." Now you have to consider what weapons will give you the best ability to handle changing situations in the future while also handling the one you have now. For regenerating, it's discourage the habit of spending time searching around the level looking for health kits before you get into the next fight. It also prevents you from ending up fighting the a billion hit point boss that has an unaviodable, but weak attack with one health. It's happened, not fun; not intense, just annoying.