Zero Punctuation: Rage

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
canadamus_prime said:
And thus we've hit one the major problem with current generation games.
all flash and no substance? yeah ... i miss games about something to :/
Pretty much, yeah. When a game comes on more than one CD I would expect that each CD to be worth at least 6-10 hours of gameplay a piece. When a game comes one more than one DVD I'd expect that each DVD to be worth twice that. The ratios of course vary by genre, but if it comes on 3 DVD it better not be 3 DVDs worth of flashy pixels and not much else.
kinda ties to lazy design, lot easier to make a game 'pwetty *stary eyes*' then add any kinda depth, sadly :/. not even talking about plot depth, what about atmospheric depth, cause really, how many more 'post apocalyptic wast lands' do we REALLY need. but now I'm nit picking about something else entirely....

Triality

May 9, 2011
I swear Id only had to add one thing to make the story interesting: The hero awakens from his arc and discovers his daughter is not in her casket next to him, and the rest of the game has you befriending John Goodman like normal as you follow the clues of your daughter's disappearance through the wilderness while helping Goodman's character stabilize the region.

Then and only then do we get introduced to Steve Blum's resistance leader hardass with a gravel voice who sees the similarities between your character and a woman much younger he crossed pathes with at one time during a scuffle with the Authority, and the trail you once thought cold toward ever finding your daughter heats back up again as you and the Authority are now looking for her.

If Id ever makes a sequel, they could retcon that into the plot to explain away the hero's bland-non-personality with cryo-sleep amnesia and social anxiety brought on by neural degeneration eventually healing over time.

Instead we get pulp-action-b-movie plotting with no personality despite the fun I had. I redeemed my coupon for one haz of sad. :(

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Please do Red Orchestra 2 as well, Yahtzee. I would very much appreciate the verbal assassination.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
'Funny how innovation in todays industry basicly means, catching up to Valve'
HAHAHAHAHA, nice.
That's charting for Yahtzee's best quotes.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
SickBritKid said:
Did you just say that FFVII is a "bad example" of a long gaming experience, Yahtzee!?

C'mon, man, I knew that you were an elitist sod with a chip on his shoulder about damn near EVERYTHING, but only an idiot would say that Final Fantasy VII was any sort of bad.

Even the FF6 elitist fucks I've tangled with have admitted that FF7 was a groundbreaking masterpiece, they just said that it's incredibly overrated whereas FF6, the the Final Fantasy series in general, was only moderately popular in the States prior to 7's advent.

Say what you will about FF7 being a "bad example", Yahtzee. It's still damn near my favorite game of all time, only coming CLOSE to being ousted by MODERN games like Mass Effect 2 or other such great games.

Personally, I think you just hate 7 because 7 was the game that solidified the FF series' place as a cornerstone of RPGs, which would eventually give us the travesty that is FF13...
He mentioned it as a good example, IE PS1 games on 3 disks last forever but a next gen one lasts a weekend

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Rage

This week, Zero Punctuation gives some fashion advice for the post-apocalypse.

Watch Video
A little disappointed it's a review on another shooter, but other than that it was fine I guess. Surely there is something else out right now to play other than shooters even if it's some obscure indi game. I know some of you guys like shooters, and that's fine; there just not my cup of tea.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Dunno about finishing it in a weekend, I clocked something like 20 hours for my playthrough and I don't think I'd want to play that much Rage during one weekend.

I was kinda hoping for a game that's Borderlands but better (because I 100% agree with the ZP review on that game) but Rage is more of a straight shooter, no real loot to speak of.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
JayDeth said:
This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?
Did you happen to play Doom?

If you've made that post I'm going to have to assume that's a no. What a shame ;-;

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
OT: Funny stuff, though I was almost hoping he'd have tried the PC version on release so he could tear it a new one for the state it was released in. Guess he doesn't have a super-computer resembling the Monolith anymore.
Yeah, he said in the reviews for Two Worlds 2 and The Witcher 2 that he doesn't have a massive gaming computer now, he has to put most things on the lowest setting for them to run smoothly. Personally I don't even know why he tried Two Worlds 2 on the PC if he could play the console version and not have to worry about graphical settings.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
People who whine about the PC version probably have Ati graphics cards. I've been avoiding them and their shitty drivers for about a decade now. The game's not very demanding on the hardware since it was so optimized for low end systems (consoles).

PoisonUnagi said:
JayDeth said:
This covered my thoughts exactly. It's pretty bland. And it was so hyped for... no reason. Why did this game have so much hype, why?
Did you happen to play Doom?

If you've made that post I'm going to have to assume that's a no. Shame.
Or perhaps he played Doom 3 and knew that id is no longer a great developer.

JambalayaBob

Dec 11, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
You mentioned Borderlands awful PC problems, but Rage's were worse to the tune of, it wasn't even really playable upon release. Because id had been using mystical non-existent drivers during testing.

The best of ideas, obviously.
Yeah, it's totally id's fault that ATI released the wrong drivers.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Jennacide said:
Really Yahtzee, you're going to compare the lenght of a SHOOTER to an RPG? That's amazingly stupid, even for you. There are hints of RPG, but Rage is without a doubt an FPS, as you even point out as being part of Shooter Season 2011. So compare it to an older shooter. How long was Quake or Halo? Oh, that's right, sub 10 hours. How long is Rage? 12+ hours. Yeah, games sure are getting short these daaaay.....wait, THAT'S LONGER.
VulakAerr said:
Urh said:
fanklok said:
You don't get it Yahtzee the entire point of Rage was to show off the new engine Skyrim is going to run on. And to shoot bandits dressed like children in robot costumes during halloween.
Uhhh, what? Pretty damn sure Skyrim isn't using id Tech 5...
You are correct, sir. It is using a heavily modified Oblivion engine.
Creation is not Gamebryo 2.0, it is a completely new engine. Which having actually seen the game in person now, is very apparent. Creation will likely be used for FO4 as well, though I sorta hope they use idTech 5 after they work the kinks out of it.
I'm afraid it's still based on the Gamebryo 2.0 engine. Just with many rewrites. According to Bethesda interviews, more rewrites the further they got into writing the game, but still was borne of Gamebryo 2.0

Nov 12, 2010
SEEMS LIKE id DIDn't do IT AGAIN!

Carmack is a self-centered programmer with a megalomania complex. He's good at programming, but he doesn't know jack shit about what makes a game tick on every other level.

Seriously, John, we get it, you're a good programmer. Get a freakin' life.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I'm simeltaneously (bad spelling) playing RAGE and Quake II on PC, and while RAGE is flat out beautiful and Quake II had things like this:

At least in Quake II I know what I'm trying to do, even if it is as simple as "Aliens with a fetish for mediocre prosthesis featuring lots of sharp things wiped out half of the human race, you're a marine, all your buddies got killed on the way in and you must singlehandedly shut down all of their nessecary machines and kill their leader." RAGE seems more intent on making you do stuff for people. However, it still has that occasional Id moment in which you've got enemies coming from all sides and a big freaking gun, and you only options are kill everything or die.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
JambalayaBob said:
Frostbite3789 said:
You mentioned Borderlands awful PC problems, but Rage's were worse to the tune of, it wasn't even really playable upon release. Because id had been using mystical non-existent drivers during testing.

The best of ideas, obviously.
Yeah, it's totally id's fault that ATI released the wrong drivers.
Ohhhhh, that explains why plenty of people with nvidea cards also had problems.

id used drivers during testing that by their own admission had seen heavy internal modification. To release a game, without testing it on drivers that actually exist in the real world, that's horrid QA. That's releasing a broken game, shrugging your shoulders and going, "Eh, not my problem. They should have different drivers."

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
OT: Funny stuff, though I was almost hoping he'd have tried the PC version on release so he could tear it a new one for the state it was released in.
I've been asking for that for weeks!

OT: The most infuriating thing is that they took six fucking years to make what? Texture pop-ups.

Also, fake freedom.