Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Old Republic

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Hopperdopper said:
He didn't even mention the graveyard servers IN PEAK HOURS,
As a fellow misanthrope (fellow to Yahtzee, not you) I would guess he probably didn't notice graveyard servers, because he didn't care if there were other people there (and, in fact, probably enjoyed there not being a bunch of people around.)

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
I did not expect him to review mmos, lend alone swtor, but i am surpised he liked it somewhat.

kodra

Dec 24, 2008
You actually get the DS/LS points that you selected, not what others select.

Also, you do get a princess, and you are able to sleep with her.

The smuggler storyline is a pretty shameless love letter to Han Solo

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
I actually laughed out loud A LOT at the Mass Effect wheel reading: Shut up, Don't care and Fuck Off.

And after the day I've had, I am incredibly appreciative of that fact.

Anyway, seems like he... errr... didn't hate it? For a while? Rare faint praise!

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Yahtzee occasionally reviews mummorpuggers, but I don't think he's ever liked one. Nevertheless, it's still entertaining to see how he'll re-interpret the acronym "MMORPG."

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm confused as to why this game isn't more popular it's actually very good. I guess it's because it's an MMO *shrug*. Yahtzee is right you can actually play it as a very satisfying single player game, feels a bit like Mass Effect.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
I know Yahtzee doesn't read these forums but you can turn Corso's Grapple ability off by expanding the companion bar and right-clicking the ability so the green light is off.

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
Hopperdopper said:
Are we talking about the same game here?

He didn't even mention the graveyard servers IN PEAK HOURS, FPS issues, brainless rude ToRons, 300 mil dollar project that coughed up this mess of a game and promising an experience in the words of, "unlike other mmorpgs, you DON'T grind or fight a big monster with lots of people in ToR, because that isn't very heroic".
Alright man...

There were over 200 people on my server last night at about 7 pm central time. So yeah, not EVERY sever is a graveyard. In fact I'd doubt even most of them are.

FPS issues. I haven't had any on my rig. Maybe you need a new machine? Throw this in as a criticism of the game if you want but ultimately it can be said it was an issue on your end.

"Brainless rude ToRons." In my experience, so far, I've had one bad experience with another community member. Surprise surprise he wasn't there to play the game he was there to steal kills from other players and ask "umad" over and over again.

You haven't seen the figures for how much was spent on the game. All you have is estimates from industry analysts (the same ones you same people say are wrong when they said concerns about the game were overestimated)

And yeah. There are big monsters you fight or grind with other players, but to be honest I haven't run into a single one that is REQUIRED to continue on the game.

All of your criticisms come down to your own opinion or experiences and none of them are facts so quit trying to pass them off as such.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Raithnor said:
I know Yahtzee doesn't read these forums but you can turn Corso's Grapple ability off by expanding the companion bar and right-clicking the ability so the green light is off.
Indeed you can. But I got a huge kick out of yahtzee's complaint here. For gunslingers, that has to be the worst possible ability your companion could have, and it's turned on by default. My understanding of the system is that cover is directional, so Corso not only pulls a guy close, but if he's standing behind you when combat starts, he negates your cover for one enemy. Really boneheaded move on the designers' part.

Oh well, at least when you turn it off, it seems to stay off, now. Back in the early access, I had to turn it off a lot.

EDIT: You know, I bet it'd be bad for scoundrels too. For example, if you're trying to set up a close range combo and Corso pulls the guy away. It's like the one companion for sith warriors who has a knockback ability, always knocking guys out of melee range right as you're getting your lightsaber combo going. At least by the time you get that guy, you have the ability to lightsaber throw, and you can often jump to the guy.

CHRIIIIIS

Jan 16, 2012
Star Wars just won't bloody well die will it? Granted, an MMO is probably the best way to keep the interest of the bigger nerds, but for the rest of us there hasn't been a good SW movie since Return of the Jedi and there hasn't been so much as a half-decent SW game since KOTOR.

And what's this about the Star Wars movies being re-released in 3D? Good idea, when's first movie out? They're doing Episode I first, you say? Great, now the kids won't appreciate what was probably the best plot twist in sci-fi history when they get to Empire. You're dumber than I thought, George...

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Oh man how did no one make a joke about "Han Solo" until Yatzee did? (Unless they already did and I didn't see/ hear it until now).
I wonder if his opinion would changed if he had a longer time to play it?
Never seen Zoolander, huh? They made that joke back in 2001.

Still a great joke though.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Labcoat Samurai said:
EDIT: You know, I bet it'd be bad for scoundrels too. For example, if you're trying to set up a close range combo and Corso pulls the guy away. It's like the one companion for sith warriors who has a knockback ability, always knocking guys out of melee range right as you're getting your lightsaber combo going. At least by the time you get that guy, you have the ability to lightsaber throw, and you can often jump to the guy.
Kaliyo has the same ability for the Agent. It's more useful for Operatives because she brings the ranged guys to you who'd you normally have to chase down. Since you have the stealth field generator, you have time to setup your combo in advance and your companion is right next to you.

I run a Sith Juggernaut so I generally don't use the tanks unless I want conversation affection points. One thing I've found effective is to have the healing or tanking companion attack the enemy next to the one I'm attacking. When I run Quinn I turn off his blaster attacks and just have him hold one of the other enemies.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
mjc0961 said:
Scarim Coral said:
Oh man how did no one make a joke about "Han Solo" until Yatzee did? (Unless they already did and I didn't see/ hear it until now).
I wonder if his opinion would changed if he had a longer time to play it?
Never seen Zoolander, huh? They made that joke back in 2001.

Still a great joke though.
Actually I have (got it on DVD) although it has been years since I last watched it (man I need to watch it again sometime soon).

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
As everyone has already mentioned,

1. When making moral decisions, you only get the lightsight/darkside points for the decision you make. Furthermore, "neutral" gear is to be patched into the game later, from what I understand

2. The NPC companion your referring to can be equipped with a melee weapon (making the harpoon make much more sense) but more importantly that ability can be turned off with a simple click if you bother to faff about with the companion controls. Didn't bother asking anyone in game anything I take it?

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Ah yes, the third bloke from the left. What a great character he was.

Anyway, sounds like a nice MMO but I'm waiting for another one to be released, so I'll skip this one.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
That pun at the end really hurt, physically. I groaned, leaned back, and nearly fell off my chair. I did hit my leg on my desk though.