Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Abriael

Dec 4, 2003
Yahtzee. Please. Do learn to play games before "reviewing" them. Your "review" is full of inaccuracies as usual.

In group conversations if the roll winner choses light side and you chose dark side, the only effect on you is that his option is what happens, but you still get dark side points.

Also, Corso's harpoon has been fixed weeks ago.

At least you admit that you "don't get it". Because you don't.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
There is really no reason to play Tor.

When you are in "for the story" buy a single player RPG which has no monthly cost and a way better story as it does not have all this MMO baggage attached to it. And when you are in for the MMO part then there are way better MMOs out there as Tor is really lacking in that department as their only selling point is the story. Everything else is outdated compared to other modern MMOs and Tor is still very buggy.

Hopperdopper

Aug 17, 2009
[/quote]

Alright man...

There were over 200 people on my server last night at about 7 pm central time. So yeah, not EVERY sever is a graveyard. In fact I'd doubt even most of them are.

FPS issues. I haven't had any on my rig. Maybe you need a new machine? Throw this in as a criticism of the game if you want but ultimately it can be said it was an issue on your end.

"Brainless rude ToRons." In my experience, so far, I've had one bad experience with another community member. Surprise surprise he wasn't there to play the game he was there to steal kills from other players and ask "umad" over and over again.

You haven't seen the figures for how much was spent on the game. All you have is estimates from industry analysts (the same ones you same people say are wrong when they said concerns about the game were overestimated)

And yeah. There are big monsters you fight or grind with other players, but to be honest I haven't run into a single one that is REQUIRED to continue on the game.

All of your criticisms come down to your own opinion or experiences and none of them are facts so quit trying to pass them off as such.[/quote]

-200 (PEAK HOUR)people IS a graveyard. Hell, even low hours this is lousy. This number is laughable and shameful compared to other mmos. WoW, EvE online and even RUNESCAPE servers number their online population in the THOUSANDS.

-Several people have reported FPS issues even on high-end machines. This was thanks to the unfinished, buggy hero-engine they decided to use. They reported these issues on the official forums. Most of them were dismissed, like you're dismissing my claims now, and eventually removed as "spam" or "trolling", by the mods.

-I've seen the mmohunter graph, for one. It's declining at a steady pace.

-And instead of the monsters and grinding.. What? Single-player missions? Those twilight-grade romance quests? HUTTBALL?!

-"None of them are facts".
So people aren't really experiencing fps drops and constant bugs and glitches? They're just imagining or trolling. And the lack of end-content- No wait, you're going to say "You just played the game too fast".
Or hey, maybe you're already thinking of a good comeback to the "other mmos" argument. This is a ToR forum favourite "WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO [Insert MMO], IF U LOVE IT SO MUCH"
Oh here's one your people like to use on the server population (Lack thereof) argument
"GOOD, LESS KIDS IN THE SERVER TO ANNOY ME" or "I like to play this as a single-player game anyway".

Honestly, you're either one of the "official" bioware apologists or a very deluded person.

In fact, why am I even telling this to you in either case!? It's not like you care in your happy little boat there.

finiii

Ocelot
Feb 2, 2010
If the space combat was anywhere near as awesome as Novastorm, I'd pick up the game instantly.. well, if it wasn't for the subscription fee, and the cartoony graphics, and the rest of the game. I miss Novastorm :(

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Hopperdopper said:
-200 (PEAK HOUR)people IS a graveyard. Hell, even low hours this is lousy. This number is laughable and shameful compared to other mmos. WoW, EvE online and even RUNESCAPE servers number their online population in the THOUSANDS.
He likely means 200 at the flotilla. So its only a fraction of all players online.

But yes, TORs server are very, very small. And you have heavy instancing in the game to so that you usually don't have more than 50 people in a single instance (flotilla being the exception).
I guess a server can hold about 1000 people at the same time, maybe a bit more. No idea why BW made it that way.
Lag? Or because they still see it primarily as a single player game. That would explain why the actual MMO elements suck and are outdated.

And with all the players leaving it will be interesting when BW will do the first server merge. Can't be good for their image to merge them only months after the release.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Ixal said:
Hopperdopper said:
He likely means 200 at the flotilla. So its only a fraction of all players online.

But yes, TORs server are very, very small. And you have heavy instancing in the game to so that you usually don't have more than 50 people in a single instance (flotilla being the exception).
I guess a server can hold about 1000 people at the same time, maybe a bit more. No idea why BW made it that way.
Lag? Or because they still see it primarily as a single player game. That would explain why the actual MMO elements suck and are outdated.

And with all the players leaving it will be interesting when BW will do the first server merge. Can't be good for their image to merge them only months after the release.
Ew... 1000 player servers would make me a very sad person. Figure maybe 30-50% would be max level, then halve it again for factions, and you only get 75-125 max level players at a time. WoW would easily have that many in Dalaran/Orgrimmar/Stormwind easily.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Gee Yahtzee you almost made that combat system sound exciting. I wonder if there will ever be a time when you don't treat an MMO as a waste of time. You are right to do so though, i think they really need to change to be less linear.

InevitableFate

May 10, 2009
You failed to mention that the bad guys all have British Accents.

Which they do. It's just Bioware realised that there's more than one accent in Britain. Which is why there's Welsh and Scottish Imperial Officers giving you missions on the Imperial side.

I find it hilarious.

Foxeh Chandonnet

Feb 1, 2012
I love your videos but this one let me down. You gave your World of Warcraft review more playtime than you did SWTOR and thats unfair. You should have, atleast, played a Bounty Hunter and a Jedi Knight. Super easy way to rape everything and get a firm feel of both sides of the universe.

First off, in conversations, you get the light or darkside points for the choice you picked wether your group member wins or not- its based off your intentions. Who gets to talk is based on a roll with some ppl being able to crit their roll. Your personal story is divided into chapters with each planet being a new chapter in your story leading to your 'legacy'. You will be able to choose a surname and make a family tree- offering perks to your rerolled toons like; getting their speeder at an earlier lvl, Bind to Legacy Gear or changeing how fast they earn exp.

This game is nothing like WoW. I do admit they took alot of controls and options from WoW, but its a comfortable system almost all MMO's use and why fix whats not broken. Still, even with takeing a few of WoWs controls, the game leaps far ahead of what WoW is offering. WoW is about to take a page from Kungfu Panda and Pokemon (Pandarans and Pet Fighting System). Why is all of Azeroth ripped in half but the Land of Pandera is so unmolested? And yes, fellow nerds, i know Panderans are in the lore, what im saying is- its gay. Its gayer than me and im a homo.

I sat on the SWTOR website for 2 years before this game came out. You couldnt spend a whole month just to give it more than a "first impression" review?

Sidenote: Its pretty lame to compare every MMORPG to WoW, especially when WoW wasnt the first MMORPG. Its just the one that killed Neverwinter Nights, Ultima Online and Guild Wars with a redundant system that keeps players paying 14 bucks a month just go to "Oooo! But this gear is BETTER!" and tell Chuck Norris Jokes.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I think the only way moral choice systems can work is if the actual determining of whether one choice is good and the other evil is never given. As in, you're given a choice but not told which one is the light/dark choice.

Let's take the Mass Effect example. I haven't played them myself, but in one of the games (SPOILER ALERT I guess) you're given a choice between destroying a hostile race and brainwashing it to be not hostile. Which of these is the morally right decision? Beats the hell out of me, though the game awards its Paragon/Renegade points like the choices aren't both morally dubious.

As such, the best moral choices are the ones that really make you wonder which of them is the morally right choice. Anything else, and you're just perhaps choosing plainly evil choices for the sake of being evil. Or because they yield money.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
The Gentleman said:
I imagine Yahtzee would like the Sith Warrior campaign more seeing as you get to torture people within the first hour.
Aw crap I'm an accidental Logo copy cat. Good choice though sir. Not that I need to tell you.

Bloodysoldier

Jun 9, 2009
animehermit said:
Hopperdopper said:
I doubt it. I played WoW for 6 years and have never seen more than 200 people in any faction capital at any time during the day. He's not saying 200 total, he's saying 200 on the fleet, per factions, which is a fraction of those actively playing at any one time.

Hopperdopper said:
-Several people have reported FPS issues even on high-end machines. This was thanks to the unfinished, buggy hero-engine they decided to use. They reported these issues on the official forums. Most of them were dismissed, like you're dismissing my claims now, and eventually removed as "spam" or "trolling", by the mods.
The only threads I ever see shut down are the ones started by people in the wrong area, or are already made somewhere else. Honestly 99% of people aren't even having any issues, I run a high end rig and I never drop below 60 fps.
Hopperdopper said:
-I've seen the mmohunter graph, for one. It's declining at a steady pace.
First month just ended, everyone should be expecting a drop off in the number of players

Hopperdopper said:
-And instead of the monsters and grinding.. What? Single-player missions? Those twilight-grade romance quests? HUTTBALL?!
A story where I care about the people in the game. Not just single player either, which is a misconception.

Hopperdopper said:
So people aren't really experiencing fps drops and constant bugs and glitches? They're just imagining or trolling. And the lack of end-content- No wait, you're going to say "You just played the game too fast".
There are a few bugs, but nothing game breaking, and nothing that would completely stop anyone from playing the game. As I said before, not everyone is experiencing FPS drops, I'm certainly not, neither is most everyone I know.

2 Raids at launch, both with 6 bosses each, with hard modes of every flashpoint in the game, is plenty of endgame content to hold the community over until March when 1.2 drops and we get a lot more stuff. WoW has gone the greater part of year on only 12 bosses, so now it's unacceptable to only have 12 in the first 3 months?

Hopperdopper said:
Or hey, maybe you're already thinking of a good comeback to the "other mmos" argument. This is a ToR forum favourite "WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO [Insert MMO], IF U LOVE IT SO MUCH"
Oh here's one your people like to use on the server population (Lack thereof) argument
"GOOD, LESS KIDS IN THE SERVER TO ANNOY ME" or "I like to play this as a single-player game anyway".

Honestly, you're either one of the "official" bioware apologists or a very deluded person.

In fact, why am I even telling this to you in either case!? It's not like you care in your happy little boat there.
You sound like someone who gets all their arguments from 4chan, next you'll be spouting off about how the game is somehow doomed to fail. Maybe you should experience the game yourself and not let others spout off their misinformed opinions for you.
You beat me to it sir, You should give him the link to wow's bug/patch list. That mmo was so much buggier than swtor at launch.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
you do know you can turn that tosser corso rigg's harpoony shot off right Yahtzee?
doesn't matter anyway the game was broke during beta and only got more brokeder since release,
its a pile of rancid bantha poodoo,
funny review as always matey boy mc persony chap.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Ixal said:
There is really no reason to play Tor.

When you are in "for the story" buy a single player RPG which has no monthly cost and a way better story as it does not have all this MMO baggage attached to it. And when you are in for the MMO part then there are way better MMOs out there as Tor is really lacking in that department as their only selling point is the story. Everything else is outdated compared to other modern MMOs and Tor is still very buggy.
Agree on all notes. Its like coffee vs tea. They each have pros and cons but I have a separate coffee maker for both of them. And I'll be damned if I ever put them in the same cup and call it a revolutionary new drink. Then again maybe that would work but I'm not going there. Point is story is for story games. MMO's are for excellent client support, grinding, quests (that no one honestly reads the background for and if you do well good luck to you sir/Madam), and gear. Oh, did I mention gear? Because percentage wise gear is about 99% of it. What do you care about more a patch opening up new story content or the newest gear, and GUI adaptations? Bioware has this monstrous game that is buggy and obviously getting a lot of bad press, yeah its new and I understand a lot of that stuff gets worked out quick which warrants a reprieve before we rip into them........oh wait they kinda declared themselves overload of the universe while sitting on a throne of skulls for their "revolution" in the MMO world. I'm sorry but a 1+n installment of Everquest with a new story line does not make you the best, and certainly not revolutionary.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Funny as you are, Yahtzee, you need to stop reviewing MMO's. You can only play them for a week, which is criminally insufficient to explore the content of anything, especially the multiplayer mechanics that they're built on.