On Gaymers and Cons

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Actually. I'd like to put paid to the whole "sexuality has nothing to do with games!" line right now. Want to know why that's bullshit and why homosexuals might not be comfortable at regular cons? Do a google search for "booth babes."

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
In practice, all that really bothers me about gay events like these are the feeling that they're probably cooler than the not-specifically-gay events and that I don't feel ambiguously sexual enough to try to join the festivities.

I'm still not sure which bathroom we're supposed to be in in the last panel (with regard to the lady with the 'pipe' between her legs). Transsexuals only? That does seem to be getting a bit rarefied.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Actually. I'd like to put paid to the whole "sexuality has nothing to do with games!" line right now. Want to know why that's bullshit and why homosexuals might not be comfortable at regular cons? Do a google search for "booth babes."
I dont really know why the point even matters. I dont feel disenfranchised or uncomfortable in society. Nor do my female friends. And yet we still have the very occasional "Guys/Girls night out/in" because feeling like youre among people who are the same is a small but enjoyable comfort we indulge every so often that makes us feel secure in a small way. It doesnt exclude anyone on purpose. We dont "Forbid" female friends from attending the same location or event. Its just a night about doing the things we want to do in a group of people like ourselves, and the next day we spend time with everyone again like we do everyday and accept everyone like we always do. If you have EVER invited all your male friends over for an all nighter playing games you know this feeling and you honestly cant complain. Im a straight white teenager and i have this indulgence, why the fuck can i deny it to a group that probably has this craving so much worse than i do?

And lets be fucking honest its VERY dishonest to claim this is any type of "Segregation" because no one is forming a gay only hermit community that NEVER interacts with regular society. This is, at WORST, a load of people saying "I spend 99% of my time in a mixed society where i dont always get to behave the way i want to, where i dont always feel like those around me allow to me to really be me, i wanna have that for a single event so yeah Gaymer con. After wards i might go to Game con". I dont believe these things, like all male/female sleep overs, drive a stake through the compatibility of the sexes or the sexualities. Its a one time vent. Not a "GAYS ONLY SOCIETY!".

Just because someone wants to feel safe and secure about something, especially about being gay which they might feel uncomfortable and alone about, that doesnt mean regular conventions have failed anymore than people enjoying a Stag Night means regular parties have failed. It just seeks to make them feel happy. And i cant deny a person that. I struggle to think of someone REALLY REALLY, like to the depths of their heart HURT and WOUNDED that they, although perfectly able and welcome to attend Gaymer Con, have to live in the same world as an event designed to make a group they are not part of feel welcome. I mean fucking wow does anyone REALLY feel like this?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Eh it bothers me in the sense that I feel like such a thing shouldn't be that big of a deal cause it really isn't. People fuck whatever, and gender is a state of mind and all that.

I will call bullshit on it's a place for people to "Network and talk about Gay-issues" no. Bullcrap. It's a place to play video games, and hook up for sex later. Same thing as a normal con.

How does one "Network" anyway? I should try that some time. "Hey sexy lady, what we push our facebook accounts together and network honey. Awww yeahhhh"

Grey Carter said:
What if they're gay women?

...Or are you implying is the booth babes that are threatening to drag those of the Rainbow Armada out into the street and yelling at them to bite the curb?

OR OR OR, are Booth Babes like the dogs in Terminator movies, they can sniff the gays out?!?!

Nah that argument is bullshit grey. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable around a guy in a speedo thats advertising a game. Only a person uncomfortable with their own sexuality would.

And while I'm at it, are we ever going back to the narrative?

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
So what you are saying.... is that we should totally also have straight cons as well, just for us straight people!

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Verkula said:
So what you are saying.... is that we should totally also have straight cons as well, just for us straight people!
They're called regular cons.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
Nah that argument is bullshit grey. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable around a guy in a speedo thats advertising a game. Only a person uncomfortable with their own sexuality would.
I'm with you on this one. Maybe it's just hard for me to understand how other people feel, though.
If I was at a con and there was a bunch of sexy guys in thongs trying to sell stuff I wouldn't care in the least.

Again, maybe it's my personal familiarity with transvestites, gays, bisexuals, etc; and I'm just projecting my experience onto others. They're just people.

Superlative

May 14, 2012
rhodo said:
aeric90 said:
Hi. Gay guy here.

Do I have a great time? Absolutely. Do I feel 100% comfortable in that environment? No. Why? Because people harass, physically and psychologically assault and KILL gay people in the real world.

Well hello.

I'm a woman - some people harass, physically and psychologically assault and KILL women in the real world.

Another person could perhaps say: I'm black - some people harass, physically and psychologically assault and KILL black people in the real world.

And so on.

So let's make a gaming convention for women, a gaming convention for black people, one for Asian people, and one for each and every category of people that faces some form of discrimination.

NO, that is not the solution. That just makes discrimination much easier.
Why hello, I am Black and here is where i don't follow your logic: How does creating a space where you, for once in your life, are the norm and suddenly are being catered to make people more segregated?

whats wrong with creating a place where you can trade tips with other ladies or how to handle menstral issues and picking out bras? whats wrong with making a place where i can go and purchase an awesome ninja star Afro pick?

these sorts of events promote a sense of togetherness among those there, while doing absolutely nothing to you and yours. also, these cons don't have a Gays Only sign out front and armed thugs to enforce it. Straight people can go to Gaymer Con if they so wish, they simply won't be the norm. Just as there are certain topics you, as a woman wouldn't bring up if i, a man, where around, there are some things gay people just want to discuss among themselves and doing so makes them feel comfortable.

please tell me, what is so wrong with that?

Teshi

May 8, 2010
I think a lot of the baffled/hostile response to this kind of thing comes from the fact that young straight suburban-y adult males are the default marketing demographic. So when something is very distinctively marketed to someone other than them, it comes as a bit of a shock. And that produces a tendency to interpret it as "this product is designed to exclude me!" rather than "this product is aimed at an audience other than me."

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
AC10 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
I'm with you on this one. Maybe it's just hard for me to understand how other people feel, though.
If I was at a con and there was a bunch of sexy guys in thongs trying to sell stuff I wouldn't care in the least.

Again, maybe it's my personal familiarity with transvestites, gays, bisexuals, etc; and I'm just projecting my experience onto others. They're just people.
Especially since, they're paid advertising people. I'd think the last thing a guy or a girl with a great looking body would be to waste their time on me. They're there for the check.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Verkula said:
Darken12 said:
Verkula said:
Which Con exactly, labels itself as "straight"?
We shall call them normie cons.

A place were we can all hang out and talk about issues regarding white, hetero, males. We can network.

Yeahh... Network!!!

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Ok this thread got out of hand fast, it is getting challenging to keep up.

One stance I've adopted regarding the necessity of GaymerX is that it is a criticism. A criticism of the fact the LGBTA folk don't feel entirely at home at the standard convention. It shows there is a need to change an aspect of gaming culture to be more inclusive. I do see Gaymer X as being exclusive to certain peoples, as their site says they welcome those who are "bisexual, transgender, gay, asexual or an ally", as the majority of us are probably allies this means they are excluding those who aren't allies. In this sense, people who use terms like "gay" or "fag" synonymously with "bad". These terms make people feel excluded from gaming culture so why use them if there are perfectly good other synonyms and you aren't using them to prove a real point.

I don't see Gaymer X as being a permanent fixture. It will go away when people begin to really be all-inclusive. But right now I see it as a reminder that people do feel out of place where we want them to feel included.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Serrenitei said:
Ugh Really? Have you all ever played any game ... ever. I'm gay and even just walked around a convention, the number of times you hear the Fa* bomb used as an insult is staggering. Or hoards of teeny boppers walking around saying how gay something is when they don't like it makes you pretty damn uncomfortable. These events aren't openly homophobic, and in reality many of the paying saying things like the Fa* bomb and or any other gay derogatory term don't understand that it's not OK to so.

But there's a passive homophobia there -- using a term like calling someone a fa* (if you didn't notice, I hate that word above all others), you imply that there's something wrong with being gay, that makes that person less than human. I won't get into all the rhetorical happenings here and logical steps to get there, but the implication is there.

To be able to go to an event about gaming -- a past time I love, that I dedicate almost all of my free time too, and not have to worry about feeling put down, belittled or anything just from overhearing conversation about people who 1) don't know any better or 2) Don't care about how the words they use impact those around them, is awesome. That's why a gaymercon is important. You don't have to want to go to it to make it a valuable, and needed event.

Though it would be funny and ironic as hell if you went there and there were fa* and gay being thrown left and right! :D lmao

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Son of Songhai said:
rhodo said:
aeric90 said:
Hi. Gay guy here.

Do I have a great time? Absolutely. Do I feel 100% comfortable in that environment? No. Why? Because people harass, physically and psychologically assault and KILL gay people in the real world.

Well hello.

I'm a woman - some people harass, physically and psychologically assault and KILL women in the real world.

Another person could perhaps say: I'm black - some people harass, physically and psychologically assault and KILL black people in the real world.

And so on.

So let's make a gaming convention for women, a gaming convention for black people, one for Asian people, and one for each and every category of people that faces some form of discrimination.

NO, that is not the solution. That just makes discrimination much easier.
Why hello, I am Black and here is where i don't follow your logic: How does creating a space where you, for once in your life, are the norm and suddenly are being catered to make people more segregated?

whats wrong with creating a place where you can trade tips with other ladies or how to handle menstral issues and picking out bras? whats wrong with making a place where i can go and purchase an awesome ninja star Afro pick?

these sorts of events promote a sense of togetherness among those there, while doing absolutely nothing to you and yours. also, these cons don't have a Gays Only sign out front and armed thugs to enforce it. Straight people can go to Gaymer Con if they so wish, they simply won't be the norm. Just as there are certain topics you, as a woman wouldn't bring up if i, a man, where around, there are some things gay people just want to discuss among themselves and doing so makes them feel comfortable.

please tell me, what is so wrong with that?
See I'm more disturbed by the fact there are people that don't feel they are the norm.

Shouldn't we try to get everyone to feel like normies instead of letting people be all "NO! WE ARE DIFFERENT! GRRRR!"

I actually think you mean the majority, not norm.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
Verkula said:
Darken12 said:
Verkula said:
Which Con exactly, labels itself as "straight"?
We shall call them normie cons.

A place were we can all hang out and talk about issues regarding white, hetero, males. We can network.

Yeahh... Network!!!
Noo, "normie" wont do, we have to have an obvious word in there that represents our sexual orientation, even though we like to say thats not what defines our personality!