Report: Mass Effect Put on Indefinite Hold

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Sad. Mass Effect has now gone the way of Need For Speed and Dead Space. Just put it in the EA vault and hope someone comes up with better creative ideas for the IPs. I liked the game and absolutely understood the flaws. Yeah, ME:A did feel really flat in places and felt like things where left half finish. Someone at Bioware fucked up but so much more can be done with the IP if you get better writers and creative staff in because the story was kinda "meh".

Now, if EA were smart, I would suggest re-releasing the trilogy again Remastered for current consoles but lord knows how much that will cost.

Another half ass game killed the franchise. Thanks EA.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Saelune said:
RIP Bioware's corpse. 2007-2017/8. (RIP Real Bioware 1995-2007)
But I liked Mass Effect 1 :(

Then again, it's only one of two (technically three) BioWare games I've played, and the first of said three, so, I can admit to being ignorant.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Stupid, stupid stupid...

One game got a few bad reviews so we'll stop instead of giving the team a chance to improve

I for the record, like Andromeda, I like the characters, the story is okay and I could see many different way they could take the series. I love the fact that your pathfinder isn't Shepard, they don't have the experience nor command, but that's a good thing else we'd have just been replaying the originals with a different skin.

Was it rushed out and buggy? Maybe (I didn't experience any problems myself but I know a few did) but that comes down to pressure from the publisher and as we all know EA are the "devil"

Stupid, stupid stupid... Bioware you should have never sold your souls to EA... it seems to have caused you nothing but problems

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
putowtin said:
Stupid, stupid stupid...

One game got a few bad reviews so we'll stop instead of giving the team a chance to improve
Reviews have nothing to do with it. The game didn't sell as well as they'd hoped. It's always about the money. What some gamers don't seem to understand is that people in charge don't give a fuck about games. They don't care if you enjoy the game. They don't care if the game isn't finished and that you'll never get to see what happens next. They don't care what the game is about, how long it lasts, how replayable it is etc. They're not invested in games as an entertainment medium because they are not gamers. They see them purely as products designed to make money. They don't care if it's a game or farming equipment. When their products don't do as well as they were expecting, they won't hesitate to abandon it and try something else. Your feelings towards the product are not a part of the equation.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Good.

They had a change to unfuck themselves with Andromeda and what we got was a spunk drenched rag.

I'm sorry Bioware, but you have become Ubisoft; a soulless videogame factory. Maybe take some time to sort your shit out.

bladestorm91

Mar 18, 2015
Bioware dead, GOOD. Next stop DICE. Once they are dead EA will have nothing left besides sports games.
God I wish EA would JUST DIE.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
meh, i didn't buy the game because of the racist guy on the design team. but from what i've heard i wasn't missing much anyway.

Dec 10, 2012
Holy balls, I make one comment about liking a less-than-popular game and the whole world explodes at me. Fuck, I got less flack for saying I didn't mind the ME3 ending. You know what, I loved Andromeda so much I'm going to go make a thread about it right now in Gaming Discussion. I invite you all to come shit in my open mouth and tell me my opinions are objectively wrong there as well :D

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
TheVampwizimp said:
Well, this sucks. I was very happy to be surprised at how good Andromeda is, and sequels were clearly planned for it. If it really is over it will be a sad case of a good franchise killed by a shitty fan base, and that just upsets me.
I know! The salt over the ending of three killed the franchise!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
AD-Stu said:
I got the impression it was one of those projects that went on for so long and cost so much to develop that there was almost no reasonable level of sales that would make it "successful". Wasn't that the same problem Mankind Divided had too?
In Mankind Divided's case it was more to do with the decisions Squenix made in the run up to it's release.

Between the pre-orders, the multiplayer, the micro transactions and the decision to split the game into multiple 'episodic' parts yet still charge full price Squenix killed off the demand for Mankind Divided.

It had the same problem as Dead Space 3, taking a well liked single player series and cramming all of the worst elements of multiplayer and Free 2 Play games into it. The game just stopping at what feels like the half way mark doesn't help it either.

In this case I think the problem is two fold. The first is that Andromeda isn't a great game. It's full of bugs and the story isn't very engaging.

More important is that nobody really cares. Mass Effect was almost entirely about it's characters and their relationships, Andromeda has none of those characters, Shepard and friends arc finished with Mass Effect 3. If I had any interest left in Mass Effect it was to see the galaxy in the aftermath of the Reaper War, when Andromeda got announced it felt like a massive cop out.

Johnny Thunder

May 18, 2014
fix-the-spade said:
More important is that nobody really cares. Mass Effect was almost entirely about it's characters and their relationships, Andromeda has none of those characters, Shepard and friends arc finished with Mass Effect 3. If I had any interest left in Mass Effect it was to see the galaxy in the aftermath of the Reaper War, when Andromeda got announced it felt like a massive cop out
Yeah, I agree with that. For that reason I wasn't interested in ME Andromeda in the first place, so at least I'm not disappointed. But what I would want from Mass Effect would be a game in which you can be the squad members doing their thing: like assassinating people as Thane or stealing stuff as Kasumi. It could be an episodic game were there are three story arcs per episode. Just thinking out loud...

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Silentpony said:
Good. They made a bad game, they deserve to get shit-canned as a result.
That seems a little excessive.

Sure, the game didn't fulfill the unrealistic expectations of the audience, and there was a LOT of room for improvement, but people lost their jobs over it, real people. But hey, they and their families sure deserve it for making bad animations under a tight timeline, the bastards.

On an up note, I am sure Andrew Wilson and Mac Walters are pretty secure in their work prospects... can't say the same for the dozens of people that used to be on EA Montreal.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, I'm still waiting for them to patch the game into a mostly stable, glitch-free state, but I AM looking forward to playing ME:A. Frankly, I think it sucks arse that an initial luke-warm reception may have killed a wonderful IP, and I do hope we get to see more of it at some point.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Considering Mass Effect Andromeda sold over a million units in the first week it was released in the U.S. yet EA actually expected it to sell 3 million this just shows how insane the sales expectations have become. There was a time not that long ago when going anywhere NEAR 1 million units would've been considered a smashing success, but game development and marketing costs have risen well beyond the level of sustainability.

It's a real shame, Mass Effect Andromeda is a very good game with great story, characters, and gameplay with an incredible amount of potential, but this probably means it's never going to reach that potential.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
putowtin said:
Stupid, stupid stupid...

Reviews have nothing to do with it. The game didn't sell as well as they'd hoped. It's always about the money. What some gamers don't seem to understand is that people in charge don't give a fuck about games. They don't care if you enjoy the game. They don't care if the game isn't finished and that you'll never get to see what happens next. They don't care what the game is about, how long it lasts, how replayable it is etc. They're not invested in games as an entertainment medium because they are not gamers. They see them purely as products designed to make money. They don't care if it's a game or farming equipment. When their products don't do as well as they were expecting, they won't hesitate to abandon it and try something else. Your feelings towards the product are not a part of the equation.
Adam, love, did you breath anywhere in that?!
I get it really do, the bottom line is all most people care about anymore (depressing as that is)
But it's not as though it only sold two copies, I think it was close to 3 million in its first two weeks

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Wasn't entirely their fault. A lot of animations were outsourced to a Romanian firm to save money. That's an awful lot of probably overworked people who had zero fucks to give about the franchise and were just collecting a paycheck. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that decision was made out of house by EA rather than Bioware Montreal. Also, the Montreal branch were the second stringers of Bioware to begin with. The Austin branch has most of the good ones these days. People who are rumored to be prototyping a reboot of of KotOR.

That the game shipped in the state it did suggests every bit as much about EA as it did the devs. Only thing is, EA is not getting shit canned for it but their underlings are being thrown under the bus for failing.

Sad part is, I'm still going to get it once I finally get this potato powered PC upgraded.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
Its not art, its a business. They're selling a product. A product whose success depends solely on its content and quality. And it had neither, so as a product it was a failure. Thus the business people, with the job of creating s successful product, failed in their job.

Saying "When video games art?!" doesn't change the fact they're in this for the money.